talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why Football Failed In...

football forum

Very interesting video I just watched on why football failed in certain countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, China, India and Ireland.

I'd recommend giving it a watch, and even if you wont see it, why do you think football failed in those countries as opposed to the rest of the world?

Discuss...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few other countries where football isn't popular.

Venezuela, New Zealand, South Africa, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic.

Well... South Africa is debatable. My dad used to live there and he told me it simple: Rugby was a white mans sport, football was for the blacks. I think its still that way, whenever I see Super Rugby the stadium is always full of white people. I'd imagine football is more popular now though, with the increasing black percentage in the country.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There's Japan too where Baseball is the number one sport and of course India and Pakistan where it's 100% Cricket.

I think in Japan though Baseball barely beats out football, so it's not overwhemingly unpopular.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think in Japan though Baseball barely beats out football, so it's not overwhemingly unpopular.

But that's a relatively recent occurrence where football has narrowed the distance with Baseball. But the bat and ball game still beats football.  Iniesta when he was presented to the Vissel Kobe baseball crowd in that respective stadium with over 100,000 people to see the presentation.  I read a report that Iniesta caused such a storm that they had to change the presentation plans instead of in their football stadium and the choice was between their Sumo annual event or the baseball crowd.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There's Japan too where Baseball is the number one sport and of course India and Pakistan where it's 100% Cricket.

it's not 100% cricket as football is ever so slowly gaining in popularity. But I'd say 90% at least is cricket and I don't see any reason for that to change. 

Just now, Stan said:

it's not 100% cricket as football is ever so slowly gaining in popularity. But I'd say 90% at least is cricket and I don't see any reason for that to change. 

Wouldn't you say that the 10% you are quoting in India for example still follow Cricket more closely even if they've hooked onto football?

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Wouldn't you say that the 10% you are quoting in India for example still follow Cricket more closely even if they've hooked onto football?

No idea. Cricket is still by far the dominant sport was more the point I was making. Some may obviously play both but even sports like tennis are quite popular too. 

Football is slowly growing though. When your top scorer is the mighty Iain Hume, who can blame them?!

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

No idea. Cricket is still by far the dominant sport was more the point I was making. Some may obviously play both but even sports like tennis are quite popular too. 

Football is slowly growing though. When your top scorer is the mighty Iain Hume, who can blame them?!

What's happened to the Indian Super League?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

What's happened to the Indian Super League?

I don't follow it but I know it had some players who fancied one last pay-check in their twilight years. The likes of Del Piero, Nesta, Riise, Materazzi, Roberto Carlos, Elano, Anelka, Ljungberg, Trezeguet have all played in last few years. Now you have better players like Matt Mills playing so it's definitely going up in reputation :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't follow it but I know it had some players who fancied one last pay-check in their twilight years. The likes of Del Piero, Nesta, Riise, Materazzi, Roberto Carlos, Elano, Anelka, Ljungberg, Trezeguet have all played in last few years. Now you have better players like Matt Mills playing so it's definitely going up in reputation :ph34r:

AHEM

tim-cahill-punching-corner-flag.jpg

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I was following it a couple of years back when Atlético Madrid had that sister club (Atlético Kulkuta) there.  That was when Del Piero was active in the ISL. For me that's the way to grow the sport because there are names averting knows no matter which sport you follow and it gets kids wanting to emulate

39 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That label given by outside and inside of the sub continent is the reason why other sports fell behind cricket.

Lots of people still don't know Pak/India also have a history in hockey. As Stan said India and to some extent us also are good at Tennis. Not mentioning our history in squash.

But your mainstream Western media only highlights Cricket because it has more money and glamour so people also started taking more interest in Cricket.

44 minutes ago, Stan said:

With the money and influence India has. Start investing in Field Hockey and make it a more marketable sport worlwide it will soon overtake Cricket like in the good old days. Plus its already a popular sport participation wise.

9 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

That label given by outside and inside of the sub continent is the reason why other sports fell behind cricket.

Lots of people still don't know Pak/India also have a history in hockey. As Stan said India and to some extent us also are good at Tennis. Not mentioning our history in squash.

But your mainstream Western media only highlights Cricket because it has more money and glamour so people also started taking more interest in Cricket.

Blame the west for everything xD;)

I forgot about field hockey which is odd seeing as Spain are pretty decent at it too although Roller Hockey is where they dominate and obviously Basketball is absolutely massive in Spain where they are one of the best in the world... Also Water Polo.  There are so many sports that get overlooked to be honest.

46 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Gaelic Games are far more popular than Irish Football.  Foreign teams like Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc are big in Ireland but no their own home teams. 

Yeah their native teams don't  do well but it is still very popular 

15 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Blame the west for everything xD;)

I forgot about field hockey which is odd seeing as Spain are pretty decent at it too although Roller Hockey is where they dominate and obviously Basketball is absolutely massive in Spain where they are one of the best in the world... Also Water Polo.  There are so many sports that get overlooked to be honest.

You are being naive if you are saying politics and racism are not the reason why certain sports are pushed and given importance and some not.

Why you forgot field hockey ?  Because if you remembered than the image of Pakistan as a failed state backward state would be hurt.

Do you know who Jahangir Khan is ?

47 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

You are being naive if you are saying politics and racism are not the reason why certain sports are pushed and given importance and some not.

Why you forgot field hockey ?  Because if you remembered than the image of Pakistan as a failed state backward state would be hurt.

Do you know who Jahangir Khan is ?

I'm gonna take that as a testing remark to push something that's absolutely stupid and that I don't believe (I hope not) you really feel is true.

You do understand that what you've just said can be destroyed quickly by anyone, even the most simpleton mate?

Just now, SirBalon said:

I'm gonna take that as a testing remark to push something that's absolutely stupid and that I don't believe (I hope not) you really feel is true.

You do understand that what you've just said can be destroyed quickly by anyone, the most simpleton mate?

Please destroy it.

4 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Please destroy it.

No mate, because I don't believe that you really believe that. You're either testing me or testing something you see as systematic or you're being led down the garden path by others... I'm really hoping it's not the latter of those arguments I've just put to you.

I don't see you as that stupid.

Archived