• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

2021 Regulations

Recommended Posts

No interest?... The teams are currently in talks as the framework for the completely new technical regulations for 2021 is expected to be agreed upon by July already. A base model of a generic 2021 car (codename "India") has been already created and supplied to the teams as a working model for developing the new regs. Here are the main proposed changes that we know of so far: 

Aerodynamics:

  • full ground effect floor complete with substantial underfloor tunnels and a number of underbody aerodynamic elements
  • even more basic front wings with only three elements
  • double-element rear wings with no end plates
  • lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

  • introduction of increased number of control (standartised) parts including gearbox (reduced to a seven-speed unit). Xtrac is expected to be chosen as the single provider. Other parts are rumoured to be standartised as well (brakes, steering columns, wheel rims, rear and side impact structures and drive shafts) but no official infos on that so far
  • small changes to PU including a more powerful MGU-K

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2019 at 13:53, nudge said:

No interest?... The teams are currently in talks as the framework for the completely new technical regulations for 2021 is expected to be agreed upon by July already. A base model of a generic 2021 car (codename "India") has been already created and supplied to the teams as a working model for developing the new regs. Here are the main proposed changes that we know of so far: 

Aerodynamics:

  • full ground effect floor complete with substantial underfloor tunnels and a number of underbody aerodynamic elements
  • even more basic front wings with only three elements
  • double-element rear wings with no end plates
  • lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

  • introduction of increased number of control (standartised) parts including gearbox (reduced to a seven-speed unit). Xtrac is expected to be chosen as the single provider. Other parts are rumoured to be standartised as well (brakes, steering columns, wheel rims, rear and side impact structures and drive shafts) but no official infos on that so far
  • small changes to PU including a more powerful MGU-K

 

 

Hard to judge till race 1, Q3 in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Hard to judge till race 1, Q3 in 2021.

If the teams even agree on the new regulations, that is xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope Ferrari and Mercedes who are just as bad at times don't start playing the high and mighty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2019 at 13:53, nudge said:

No interest?... The teams are currently in talks as the framework for the completely new technical regulations for 2021 is expected to be agreed upon by July already. A base model of a generic 2021 car (codename "India") has been already created and supplied to the teams as a working model for developing the new regs. Here are the main proposed changes that we know of so far: 

Aerodynamics:

  • full ground effect floor complete with substantial underfloor tunnels and a number of underbody aerodynamic elements
  • even more basic front wings with only three elements
  • double-element rear wings with no end plates
  • lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

  • introduction of increased number of control (standartised) parts including gearbox (reduced to a seven-speed unit). Xtrac is expected to be chosen as the single provider. Other parts are rumoured to be standartised as well (brakes, steering columns, wheel rims, rear and side impact structures and drive shafts) but no official infos on that so far
  • small changes to PU including a more powerful MGU-K

 

 

https://www.planetf1.com/news/long-to-do-list-for-2021-say-ferrari/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2019 at 16:53, nudge said:

No interest?... The teams are currently in talks as the framework for the completely new technical regulations for 2021 is expected to be agreed upon by July already. A base model of a generic 2021 car (codename "India") has been already created and supplied to the teams as a working model for developing the new regs. Here are the main proposed changes that we know of so far: 

Aerodynamics:

  • full ground effect floor complete with substantial underfloor tunnels and a number of underbody aerodynamic elements
  • even more basic front wings with only three elements
  • double-element rear wings with no end plates
  • lower noses
  • no bargeboards
  • outer wheel covers

Other:

  • introduction of increased number of control (standartised) parts including gearbox (reduced to a seven-speed unit). Xtrac is expected to be chosen as the single provider. Other parts are rumoured to be standartised as well (brakes, steering columns, wheel rims, rear and side impact structures and drive shafts) but no official infos on that so far
  • small changes to PU including a more powerful MGU-K

 

 

Factory spec gearbox? I like this.

Oh Nudge.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't look they're close to agreement...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at least they agreed to agree to delay it... :dam:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Formula 1 is committed to reintroducing ground effect for the new 2021 car, with the sport’s chiefs convinced that the return of the aero concept is key to helping cars race closer together.

 :banana::banana::banana:

Key points of the new regs:

  • more ground effect with series of Venturi tunnels feeding a deep twin diffuser + front wheel deflectors
  • much simpler aero (especially front wing (three elements and simple endplates) and bargeboards; a lot of small elements removed)
  • tyres with less degradation

Due to the changes, the following car in "dirty air" will lose only 5-10% of its downforce (instead of current loss of around 50%) leading to much closer racing.

 

Main points illustrated and explained by Giorgio Piola (source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech-analysis-2021-car-changes/4496458/)

2021-formula-1-concept.jpg

1) The idea is to have a very low nose. This version is attached to the main plane as it was in the 1990s.

2) The mainplane is slightly arched upwards to improve the airflow underneath the car to help feed the ‘ground effect’ tunnels.

3) The endplates are rounded to help minimise the risk of punctures in the event of contact between cars, which is more likely due to the wide front wing.

4) The low nose without turning vanes shows the simplified aerodynamics.

5) The wheel rims could feature covers to help better manage airflow and make it less disruptive.

6) The brake ducts are simplified and have less of an aerodynamic influence.

7) The front wheels are covered with two deflectors, which help direct the wash from the front wheel underneath the floor rather than being lifted upwards and outwards causing turbulence for the cars behind.

8) This is the start of a big Venturi channel, which begins where the current bargeboards are.

9) The halo has a better integration with the overall car design.

10) The stepped plane area is not totally flat because there is the chance to house Venturi channels in this area.

11) The taller diffuser is much more powerful than the current diffuser, meaning most of the downforce will be created from underneath the car.

12) The rear wing features a simple endplate to reduce the turbulence effect and helps divert airflow high up with a twin vortex.

 

Main points of financial and "leveling the field" changes as reported by AMuS  (Source: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-2021-auto-bilder-infos/):

  • Budget cap of 175 million dollars
  • More prize money for "small" teams
  • More standardised parts (fuel systems, cooling, rear crash structure, brakes, gearbox, etc.)
  • Less driver aids
  • Less or no data transfer from the car to the garage
  • No tyre warmers; 18 inch rims

@RandoEFC @Tommy @... @Stan @Eco @MUFC

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tire degradation is also important as wheel-to-wheel racing. Imagine following close for long periods? Could this spell the end for DRS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Tire degradation is also important as wheel-to-wheel racing. Imagine following close for long periods? Could this spell the end for DRS?

Yeah it seems FIA have finally woken up to the fact that such high levels of degradation are just plain wrong. The idea now is for Pirelli to develop tyres with a wider working temperature range that are less prone to overheating.

As for the end of DRS - hopefully! If the cars can follow each other closely and lose only a fraction of downforce then DRS becomes redundant. 

I really like it so far. Simplified aero, more ground effect, better tyres, reduced electronics/driver aids and car-to-pit telemetry transmission; racing's about to get just a bit purer again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/18/poll-should-formula-1-scrap-drs-in-2021/

What do we think? Like the author of the article, I've always been against DRS, even without the regulation change. It creates overtaking for the sake of it, not overtaking which requires skill.

On some tracks it is far too powerful. At the last race, with Hamilton chasing Verstappen, it was sort of exciting, but you knew Hamilton was going to get through. Same at Austria, where Verstappen was just one second behind Leclerc with 4 laps to go, this was the point you knew Max had won the race because DRS makes it impossible to defend. Overtaking is only exciting when there is excitement and doubt over who will come out on top.

What do we think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/18/poll-should-formula-1-scrap-drs-in-2021/

What do we think? Like the author of the article, I've always been against DRS, even without the regulation change. It creates overtaking for the sake of it, not overtaking which requires skill.

On some tracks it is far too powerful. At the last race, with Hamilton chasing Verstappen, it was sort of exciting, but you knew Hamilton was going to get through. Same at Austria, where Verstappen was just one second behind Leclerc with 4 laps to go, this was the point you knew Max had won the race because DRS makes it impossible to defend. Overtaking is only exciting when there is excitement and doubt over who will come out on top.

What do we think?

Yeah pretty much this.

I dislike DRS as well and as I said earlier, if the cars can follow each other closely and lose only a fraction of downforce under new regulations then DRS becomes redundant anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I actually love the looks of it... Rather retro yet modern at the same time. Love the visual simplicity and the 90s feel when it comes to the nose! Also the new sidepod area is very interesting. Very happy to see the monstrosity of the bargeboards mostly gone. Rear wing looks good. Front wing is still a bit too wide for my liking but apparently they are still working on it.

2021-f1-pic1.jpg

image.jpg

2021-f1-pic2.jpg

ECk6EAVXYAEsuxQ?format=jpg&name=medium

 

If it enables more close racing, eliminates DRS and doesn't rely too much on standardisation then it's as perfect as it can get. 

Also just an interesting fact: they are using Sauber's wind tunnel for testing ^_^

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, nudge said:

 and the 90s feel

 
 

Yup. I was very surprised when I saw the 2021 model. I thought it would look futuristic and nothing like F1, but it does look very oldschool. All the changes sound good, and I hope they work out as planned. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tommy said:
 
 

Yup. I was very surprised when I saw the 2021 model. I thought it would look futuristic and nothing like F1, but it does look very oldschool. All the changes sound good, and I hope they work out as planned. 

What a beauty...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad someone added a livery as it's hard to judge those all black and silver concepts. I really like the look of it. Still looks like a proper F1 car and hopefully she races properly too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't start a new thread, but if you could have one change for 2021, what would it be? doesn't matter how unrealistic the change is.

I would love 15 cars on the grid, consisting of only 1 team per driver.

15 drivers and 15 different teams all with different engine suppliers.

So no loyalties to anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nudge said:

V12. 

Why not V11.99?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement