The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 24-25th August, 2019

football forum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

How funny would it be if Leicester finished above United this season after the Maguire transfer.

We haven't missed him yet. If that goes on then we deserve some serious credit - losing the most expensive defender in the world, not replacing him and not getting worse xD

• Subscriber

Despite the Wolves equaliser you would have to say a very good weekend for us, if you're expecting Everton and Wolves to be our main competitors, and there are signs of issues with Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal too. A few more weekends like this and you never know.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Dan said:

Despite the Wolves equaliser you would have to say a very good weekend for us, if you're expecting Everton and Wolves to be our main competitors, and there are signs of issues with Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal too. A few more weekends like this and you never know.

Think it's far too early to be reading into all of that. Certainly no harm in getting points on the board early but think it's a bit premature to be arsed about what other teams are doing with the odd dodgy result, with City and Liverpool the possible exception due to the likelihood of them winning nearly all of their games so every dropped point being potentially very significant.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Think it's far too early to be reading into all of that. Certainly no harm in getting points on the board early but think it's a bit premature to be arsed about what other teams are doing with the odd dodgy result, with City and Liverpool the possible exception due to the likelihood of them winning nearly all of their games so every dropped point being potentially very significant.

True but every little helps. They all count at the end. Just think us two in-particular had similar obstacles this weekend and the results, well yeah.

We've been hard to judge so far. We've looked pretty hard to break down but we look a bit congested going forward.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Dan said:

True but every little helps. They all count at the end. Just think us two in-particular had similar obstacles this weekend and the results, well yeah.

We've been hard to judge so far. We've looked pretty hard to break down but we look a bit congested going forward.

Definitely think you've looked better than us so far. We have a lot of issues to sort out thanks to leaving most of our signings too late for pre-season. You guys will have a dodgy spell later on as well, but at the moment I'm not very confident that we end up above you this season.

At the same time, I'm pretty relaxed about the league this season. If we finish 8th or 9th but show progress in terms of getting towards the top six sides then I'm not too concerned. We only have about three first team players who are beyond the age of 26ish so I'll be judging this team on what they achieve over the next 2-3 seasons, not on whether they finish a couple of points ahead of Leicester and Wolves or a couple of points behind.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Definitely think you've looked better than us so far. We have a lot of issues to sort out thanks to leaving most of our signings too late for pre-season. You guys will have a dodgy spell later on as well, but at the moment I'm not very confident that we end up above you this season.

At the same time, I'm pretty relaxed about the league this season. If we finish 8th or 9th but show progress in terms of getting towards the top six sides then I'm not too concerned. We only have about three first team players who are beyond the age of 26ish so I'll be judging this team on what they achieve over the next 2-3 seasons, not on whether they finish a couple of points ahead of Leicester and Wolves or a couple of points behind.

I think we've been OK but nothing special. We've been setting up with this really weird, overly narrow formation without a single natural wide attacking player in the side (nearest to that is Perez) and it's resulted in, in general, pretty dour games although the second half at Chelsea we were very good - though I can't escape the thinking that Chelsea's overly high line played into our hands.

I can't really argue with our results but our football's not been great. March & April under Rodgers we were playing some great stuff but right now... not really. I'm hoping it's teething problems and if it is, and we've still got decent results despite this, then I can't complain at all.

What's good for both of us is that those above us don't look that great either and while I'm always an advocate of gradual progress, you do feel like this is the weakest that those from 3rd-6th will be for a while. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is bigger than 6th to 7th for me now.

On 25/08/2019 at 08:24, LFCMike said:

Who mentioned Alisson? Anyway, I think he made two bad mistakes off the top of my head last season

Several posts above yours mate. Don’t get me wrong, De Gea has not been reliable for about 12 months now agreed, but it’s amusing how he’s now perceived never to have been world class by some. He was fucking outstanding for 5 years and will be again. Just not at United.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Several posts above yours mate. Don’t get me wrong, De Gea has not been reliable for about 12 months now agreed, but it’s amusing how he’s now perceived never to have been world class by some. He was fucking outstanding for 5 years and will be again. Just not at United.

Anyone who didn't think he was outstanding or reached that world class level in that period a few years ago either wasn't watching football at all or was just tapped in the head. There's a reason he was constantly linked with a big-money move across Europe to Real Madrid and Man Utd actually did well to keep him. He was their star asset and saved Utd several points with some world-class one-man showings. 

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think we've been OK but nothing special. We've been setting up with this really weird, overly narrow formation without a single natural wide attacking player in the side (nearest to that is Perez) and it's resulted in, in general, pretty dour games although the second half at Chelsea we were very good - though I can't escape the thinking that Chelsea's overly high line played into our hands.

I can't really argue with our results but our football's not been great. March & April under Rodgers we were playing some great stuff but right now... not really. I'm hoping it's teething problems and if it is, and we've still got decent results despite this, then I can't complain at all.

What's good for both of us is that those above us don't look that great either and while I'm always an advocate of gradual progress, you do feel like this is the weakest that those from 3rd-6th will be for a while. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is bigger than 6th to 7th for me now.

What is your verdict on Perez so far? Been disappointing for my Fantasy team so need to know whether he gets the boot.

17 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The rewriting of an entire player's history based on the last 6 months or similar time period is becoming a real fad on the internet.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What is your verdict on Perez so far? Been disappointing for my Fantasy team so need to know whether he gets the boot.

I'd take him out. He's not been bad by any means, but other players in our squad seem to be getting involved in the goals more. He'd have probably picked up a fortunate assist if Maddison scored that chance against Chelsea with the goal right in front of him. 

I think there's probably better value elsewhere in the league right now. Perhaps even Norwich players with how attacking they are.

• Subscriber

@RandoEFC Not been massively impressed if I'm honest but I think he's yet another that this system isn't really gettng much from. I'm finding it hard to slate the attacking players too much at the minute. It's all a bit congested and you feel like we're just trying to cram everyone in a bit. I'd probably give it another week to take him out however as it's Bournemouth at home this weekend and they're notoriously crap at the back so it's a good chance to get his first competitive goal.

Tielemans has been a waste of time in my team so far. No goals or asssts. To be honest I've not been that impressed wth him this season yet. Could be the same issues though.  really felt at the end of last season we freed him and Maddison up perfectly in front of Ndidi or Choudhury and it all just clicked. I don't get at all why we've abandoned this.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived