talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Terminator - Dark Fate

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.aaa3dd63a87386a1a05292e5f294daf7.png

‘Terminator: Dark Fate’: James Cameron On Rewired Franchise, Possible New Trilogy

James Cameron understands better than anyone that revisiting the past to alter the course of history is a dicey proposition at best, but that hasn’t stopped the Hollywood titan from taking on his latest cinematic mission: returning to The Terminator franchise that gave him the first signature success of his history-making career.

“It’s special,” Cameron said of the Terminator success that propelled him toward ever-grander spectacle projects like Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic, and Avatar. Sci-fi’s greatest showman moved on from his Skynet series in 1991, but now he’s reunited with his first great cinematic brand through Terminator: Dark Fate, the Skydance Productions and Paramount Pictures release that hits theatres November 1.

Cameron is joined by the franchise’s two signature stars, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton, as well as Edward Furlong, who was a child actor when he portrayed John Connor 28 years ago in Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

FULL REPORT

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Rick said:

Looks no different to Genisys. As in it looks fucking rubbish,

I'm not sure I think it looks like it could be the best since terminator 2. 

• Subscriber

The problem with these movies is that when they first came out audiences had no clue about what to expect from a killer cyborg, let alone one that was sent from the future to murder someone and alter time. It works best for a few movies (maybe three) but then you've got to change it all up because any movies dealing with time get terribly confusing and pointless to the extent that the writing eventually gets shabby. I think Terminator should just go off movies and back to TV (they killed a half decent show) because it should be just massive explosions and machine vs machine versus trying to weave an intricate plot of any kind. 

I have no high hopes from this movie even though I think Mackenzie was fantastic in Halt and Catch Fire. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
On 24/10/2019 at 21:12, Gunnersauraus said:

Had some fairly decent reviews so far. Might go to the cinema and watch it.

Some reviewers are actually saying its the best one since Judgement Day and that is some high praise.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don’t think T3, Salvation, or the one with Emilia Clarke are even remotely decent films 

I agree. I suppose its easy to shower praise on this film because the competition is rubbish. I earlier said I have no high hopes for this but myself but the more I am reading these reviews it seems like they got something right here. 

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Some reviewers are actually saying its the best one since Judgement Day and that is some high praise.

T3 did actually get decent reviews. They just were no where near as good as T2. I personally didn't mind  terminator genysis even though it got bad reviews.   

I always think it was gonna be hard after T2. The first film you had a new original idea. Then they swaped it around and had the terminator the good guy so it still seemed fresh. After that it was hard to keep the ideas fresh. T3 was basically T2 with a different enemy. Genesis tried something new but it didn't work for most people.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

T3 did actually get decent reviews. They just were no where near as good as T2. I personally didn't mind  terminator genysis even though it got bad reviews.   

I always think it was gonna be hard after T2. The first film you had a new original idea. Then they swaped it around and had the terminator the good guy so it still seemed fresh. After that it was hard to keep the ideas fresh. T3 was basically T2 with a different enemy. Genesis tried something new but it didn't work for most people.

I think the original T3 reviews were more around Lokken's terminator and how it was an upgraded T-1000 if I remember right. I don't think I won't hit a theater to see this movie, after all, the action sequencing tends to be great when Cameron is involved. 

I also agree on the T2 comment because not only did that movie have a great villain (so important) it also had some great SFX as well. The big point there was how the killing machine became more human as the movie progressed and I suppose that idea could never truly be recreated. From what I am reading Luna makes a good terminator and is actually really good in this but I'll have to see it for myself. They are also finally trying to change the entire story-line and get away from the Connor bloodline to start a new series of Terminator.

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think the original T3 reviews were more around Lokken's terminator and how it was an upgraded T-1000 if I remember right. I don't think I won't hit a theater to see this movie, after all, the action sequencing tends to be great when Cameron is involved. 

I also agree on the T2 comment because not only did that movie have a great villain (so important) it also had some great SFX as well. The big point there was how the killing machine became more human as the movie progressed and I suppose that idea could never truly be recreated. From what I am reading Luna makes a good terminator and is actually really good in this but I'll have to see it for myself. They are also finally trying to change the entire story-line and get away from the Connor bloodline to start a new series of Terminator.

Apparently it isn't skynet anymore but a different system. They haven't actually said why the terminator is after the girl I think there might be a little twist. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Apparently it isn't skynet anymore but a different system. They haven't actually said why the terminator is after the girl I think there might be a little twist. 

i try and stay away from spoilers just because I'd like to go to the theater and be wowed. But I think it was high time they killed that whole story-line and went in a different direction. From what I am also reading a lot of critics had high praise for Mackenzie Davis's acting as well.

• Subscriber

This movie is a must avoid. Its so horrible and I dont even mean the acting. The plot is riddled with holes, the characters seem like something you'd find in a rail-shooter video-game and the worst part of it all is that half of them didn't even need to be there at all. 

11 hours ago, Mel81x said:

This movie is a must avoid. Its so horrible and I dont even mean the acting. The plot is riddled with holes, the characters seem like something you'd find in a rail-shooter video-game and the worst part of it all is that half of them didn't even need to be there at all. 

Well you seem to be in the minority. Although it's not doing well most people who have seen it and critics have said it was good.

The whole terminator franchise has massive plot holes in it anyway even 1 and 2.

I mean if they kill John Connor then he doesn't start the resistance so then they don't go back and kill him so then he does start the resistance, do then they do go back and kill him. You get what I mean.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well you seem to be in the minority. Although it's not doing well most people who have seen it and critics have said it was good.

The whole terminator franchise has massive plot holes in it anyway even 1 and 2.

I mean if they kill John Connor then he doesn't start the resistance so then they don't go back and kill him so then he does start the resistance, do then they do go back and kill him. You get what I mean.

I think even with a movie like Genisys there was some kind of proper plot. And I agree that all of the movies had massive plot holes in them but this seems like something rushed and a reason to put Sarah Connor and the T-101 to bed versus a movie that has an antagonist that can actually cause problems. At no point do you feel like the Terminator is going to be threatening to anyone important. I'd say go watch it and try to see what the critics see in it because I couldn't see how they were calling it good.

9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think even with a movie like Genisys there was some kind of proper plot. And I agree that all of the movies had massive plot holes in them but this seems like something rushed and a reason to put Sarah Connor and the T-101 to bed versus a movie that has an antagonist that can actually cause problems. At no point do you feel like the Terminator is going to be threatening to anyone important. I'd say go watch it and try to see what the critics see in it because I couldn't see how they were calling it good.

I actually liked genisys and most people didn't so chances are I will like it. End of the day it's personal preference. I'm sure there are films that no one liked that you did and I'm sure there are films most liked that you didn't. 

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I actually liked genisys and most people didn't so chances are I will like it. End of the day it's personal preference. I'm sure there are films that no one liked that you did and I'm sure there are films most liked that you didn't. 

I think that's a given about movie choices. I personally thought Salvation had one of the better premises in a Terminator movie and you're right its all down to personal preference. I also believe that with someone like James Cameron on-board you tend to get the effect of "we have to do it much better than the last" and that's been a trend with most of his projects. I honestly tried to stay away from too many spoilers to see what it would have been like for the same exact reasons I am staying away from reading too much about Star Wars these days.

Having said that, while I say avoid it I think people should always go see it and make a decision for themselves. I came into it thinking they had a really good Terminator after a while and they underused it imo. Gabriel Luna was the right person to cast here the guy did a good job as a Terminator, his work as Ghost Rider is good as well. 

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think that's a given about movie choices. I personally thought Salvation had one of the better premises in a Terminator movie and you're right its all down to personal preference. I also believe that with someone like James Cameron on-board you tend to get the effect of "we have to do it much better than the last" and that's been a trend with most of his projects. I honestly tried to stay away from too many spoilers to see what it would have been like for the same exact reasons I am staying away from reading too much about Star Wars these days.

Having said that, while I say avoid it I think people should always go see it and make a decision for themselves. I came into it thinking they had a really good Terminator after a while and they underused it imo. Gabriel Luna was the right person to cast here the guy did a good job as a Terminator, his work as Ghost Rider is good as well. 

Salvation was my least favourite. Although I would actually like to see a terminator film that is just focused on the war with the machines and not concentrating on killing Connor or someone else.  I think this might be the end of terminator though now. It has absolutely bombed so far. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Salvation was my least favourite. Although I would actually like to see a terminator film that is just focused on the war with the machines and not concentrating on killing Connor or someone else.  I think this might be the end of terminator though now. It has absolutely bombed so far. 

Didn't Cameron say that they were going to run a new trilogy? Arnold is gone for sure he's not doing anymore of these movies so the mantle now moves onto the new protagonist and the new war with the machines. I think it would have been good to see a war-based movie with actual machine combat but that timeline is gone as you said. I don't think this is the end of Terminator personally, Hollywood will find a way to bring it back in some new form because while people may like or not like it, it does generate cash revenue for them and its an easy sell.

13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Didn't Cameron say that they were going to run a new trilogy? Arnold is gone for sure he's not doing anymore of these movies so the mantle now moves onto the new protagonist and the new war with the machines. I think it would have been good to see a war-based movie with actual machine combat but that timeline is gone as you said. I don't think this is the end of Terminator personally, Hollywood will find a way to bring it back in some new form because while people may like or not like it, it does generate cash revenue for them and its an easy sell.

Been canceled I think. Dark fate is projected to loose about 120 million dollars. I would like to see a war with the machines film where the war ends.  Might buy the Sarah Connor chronicles dvd. Heard it is good. You seem it?

Archived