talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheff Utd 1-0 Arsenal - Monday 21st October, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber

I feel like I should rate Emery as his European record speaks for itself, but you have to wonder whether he benefited from the knockout format of the Europa League somehow, and/or English and other elite teams not taking the competition seriously back when it didn't reward you with Champions League qualification.

Right now he just looks like a bang average manager who makes strange team selections and chooses pretty unclear tactics.

It's not just Emery. If there was any progressive philosophy in place at Arsenal they wouldn't be signing David Luiz and they wouldn't be bringing in players like Torreira and Ceballos to sit on the bench after initially looking very decent. I don't get it at all.

The problems run deeper than the manager and I'm an advocate of giving him more time but he needs to a bit more of a figurehead for me. I don't feel like Emery has really left his imprint on this team yet.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the flipside of last night, compliments to how well Sheffield United did.

Thoroughly good value for their win and to be totally honest, looked comfortable defending the lead. Arsenal could only dream of that resolute solidarity. 

What I like is that they still tried to play football where they could, and that the attacking players took as much pride out of keeping a clean sheet as the defenders did.

The names do not jump out at you on the team sheet, but the desire to fight for eachother and work as a cohesive unit makes them very effective.

Second best defence behind Liverpool as it stands. If they can keep that up, they will make a good fight of staying up.

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Lacazette will return to full fitness soon and the new front three will have a period of longevity to gel. Not to mention Bellerin and Tierney on the flanks could be exciting to watch when the former returns. 

If they cant finish top four given the issues at United, Spurs and Chelsea then the board have some serious decisions to be made. But for now, just let him grow. Creating a lack of stability will not benefit anybody, especially given the amount of new players they've been bedding in over the last 6-8 weeks.

I can't see it clicking under Emery at any point.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived