talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

12 hours ago, Lucas said:

Sorry mate, just seen this.

I think it depends how many days you are going for the Tests because you could easily stay local so it only takes 10-15 mins each day or if you aren't doing each day and want to be a little bit more away from it, you can stay in nicer areas.

For example with Headingley, you could stay in places like Knaresborough or Harrogate which are really lovely, and they are probably 25-30mins from the ground. But those places offer something nice to do if you are having time away from the Cricket.

Obviously Leeds is an option but if you don't want to be in the City and want something a bit more relaxed, which sounds like you do, I wouldn't stay there.

For me out of the three, Headingley is the best atmosphere but I'd also say it's the most boistrous, probably more so if you sit in the Western Terrace. Something to think about if the missus isnt comfortable with that.

Beauty of doing Headingley as well is being up that way, you can do a day trip to York which is one of the most stunning places over here I think personally.

Loads of lovely little villages in and around the vacinity you can visit, if you are into your country walks, I know some lovely places in the Yorkshire moors too like Malham Cove and stuff like that.

Leeds  Manchester etc aren’t that big in my opinion. It’s more the mega cities like London and New York I avois.

33 minutes ago, Spike said:

Leeds  Manchester etc aren’t that big in my opinion. It’s more the mega cities like London and New York I avois.

If you do go to Headingley, I'd definitely recommend Harrogate.

Got that Victorian buildings vibe about it. Some lovely places to eat, drink or visit.

411882-Harrogate.jpgKnaresborough-GettyImages-689316610.jpgimage.jpg

York is the best but Harrogate is up there too.

Equally, if you did Old Trafford, Chester is nice.

You won't be short of options anyway. I just hope you have a nice time whilst over here because I think the Ashes will end badly for you this time xD

Or rather, I hope (If we continue to play this exciting brand under Stokesy)

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Spike said:

Thanks for the input guys, Lord’s sounds a bit stiff but I figured as much.

Ironically the good thing about Lords is that it's the only ground in the England (or UK) where you can take in your own alcohol (up to 1L I think). 

• Wow 1

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Spike said:

All good stuff guys, making me feel like I can’t make a wrong decision unless it rains out.

It's England so you could end up getting all 4 seasons in one day anyway xD

2 hours ago, Spike said:

All good stuff guys, making me feel like I can’t make a wrong decision unless it rains out.

How easy is it for you to get tickets for the Ashes as an Aussie supporter? It's pretty difficult over here, you need to sign up to ballots and even then its pot luck what Day you get.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

How easy is it for you to get tickets for the Ashes as an Aussie supporter? It's pretty difficult over here, you need to sign up to ballots and even then its pit luck what Day you get.

Yeah it's quite a chore. Signed up to the ballots back in Oct and only found out yesterday I've got day 5 tickets of the Oval test. 

I probably won't go to be honest. Might end up going and only get 2 overs xD

53 minutes ago, Lucas said:

How easy is it for you to get tickets for the Ashes as an Aussie supporter? It's pretty difficult over here, you need to sign up to ballots and even then its pit luck what Day you get.

Fucked if I know, I thought you had to ben the UK to enter the ballot

30 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah it's quite a chore. Signed up to the ballots back in Oct and only found out yesterday I've got day 5 tickets of the Oval test. 

I probably won't go to be honest. Might end up going and only get 2 overs xD

Yeah, don't blame you. I got exactly the same for Edgbaston. Not travelling to Birmingham on Day 5 for potentially a few overs.

Alright, I think I'm going to Leeds @Lucas. For some reason Day 5 tickets are on sale, only a few pound each, if the match goes to five days, I'm dreaming and the flights are cheaper than London. I figured I'd just try the box office every morning to see if there are spare tickets on sale, failing that I'd just go to a pub and drink all day. Can you confirm if Headingly sells tickets on the box office? I know Lord's refuses to, so I'd like to know in advance.

While the premium tickets are nice, I'm just not interested in corporate box seating at all. I'd rather not go.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Alright, I think I'm going to Leeds @Lucas. For some reason Day 5 tickets are on sale, only a few pound each, if the match goes to five days, I'm dreaming and the flights are cheaper than London. I figured I'd just try the box office every morning to see if there are spare tickets on sale, failing that I'd just go to a pub and drink all day. Can you confirm if Headingly sells tickets on the box office? I know Lord's refuses to, so I'd like to know in advance.

While the premium tickets are nice, I'm just not interested in corporate box seating at all. I'd rather not go.

They did before for past Tests whenever they had tickets free although that's obviously rare for the Ashes so your chances will be slim but you never know, there's always some that cant go.

If I were you, I'd keep an eye on Ticketmaster exchange or Twickets, thats usually the more honest places where people look to sell their tickets for face value when they cant go and a third party is involved to ensure no one is cheated out of anything.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Is climate change threatening the iconic cricket bat?

download.png

Climate plays a big role in cricket, but not in the way you might think.

While warming weather patterns put player health in the crosshairs, and may change the nature of pitch preparation, a crucial element of one of the world’s most popular sports could also be at risk.

The bat.

Cricket’s iconic hitting instrument hasn’t changed much since the game’s inception: the bat has almost always been a rectangular block of wood, ‘bowed’ into its iconic shape, and wedged with a cane or timber grip.

This is despite Australia’s penchant for innovation: from Dennis Lillie’s aluminium blade (banned), Ricky Ponting’s graphite-reinforced willow (banned) and Gray-Nicolls’ carbon fibre infused handle (banned).

Those Aussie experiments tested the rules and led to a rigid definition of the bat being brought into effect: a blade must be made entirely of wood.

Typically, bats are made from so-called English or Kashmir Willow (in truth a timber from subspecies the white willow Salix alba).

There is very little difference between the English and Kashmir variations. Genetically, they are the same species, but grown in different regions. That place-of-growth results in the English variant being slightly less dense than the subcontinental version, a shade whiter in colour, and a softer ‘ping’ when struck by a ball (some players will also note the Anglo name often carries a higher price point).

Kookaburra Sport’s bat maker Lachlan Dinger explains despite being the same species subtle differences between willow grown in different parts of the world has effectively narrowed the supply chain to these two regions. The UK has the best conditions, Kashmir is in the world’s biggest bat market. But the mass scale of harvest and production on the subcontinent lends itself to higher grade bats.

“Probably, the average punter might not even be able to tell the difference, but certainly, if you’ve looked at enough bits of willow, be that English, Kashmir, Canadian, Serbian, wherever it’s grown, you can tell the difference between them,” Dinger tells Cosmos.

FULL REPORT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
40 minutes ago, Spike said:

As expected India are too strong for Australia at home. Only day one but the tourists better acclimatise  quickly .

Found it interesting that Aussies were spinning the ball more, but with no reward (until right at the end). Less is more, perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Found it interesting that Aussies were spinning the ball more, but with no reward (until right at the end). Less is more, perhaps. 

The pace corps is mainly absent. Cummo and Boland are great but it leaves a lot to be desired when Starc, Hazlewood, and Green are missing. The subcontinent is known for spin wickets so maybe Cummo is trying to give his spinners a bit of experience on it, maybe sacrifice the first innings to find footing. I don’t mind watching Australia chase, especially after the SA series. 

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Apparently Jadeja was caught ‘applying a foreign substance’ to the ball. I hope it isn't the case  but I wouldn’t know if Jadeja is the character sort to do something like this. @Stan

He was cleared. Australian media just hates the indians because they keep winning. 

Old Nohit has been a phenom in his old age in tests. All the talent he always had, but with the temperament too.  

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Spike said:

Apparently Jadeja was caught ‘applying a foreign substance’ to the ball. I hope it isn't the case  but I wouldn’t know if Jadeja is the character sort to do something like this. @Stan

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

He was cleared. Australian media just hates the indians because they keep winning. 

Old Nohit has been a phenom in his old age in tests. All the talent he always had, but with the temperament too.  

I'd hope to think he wouldn't. He plays with a lot of passion so I can't see that he would. I'm glad he's cleared of it. 

This Murphy guy looks like a good find. Good debut for him... 

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They don’t hate Indians, the Australian media are simply vultures that will pick at the corpse of any story till it’s dust and bones and then  the rats fight over the bones. That’s why they all hang around disasters like hyenas waiting to pounce on a wounded gazelle.