talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pochettino On Atletico Radar?

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b775070ad75c156ef5f65306cbce8202.png

Atletico Madrid 'consider Mauricio Pochettino as Diego Simeone replacement'

Atletico Madrid have reportedly earmarked Mauricio Pochettino as a potential replacement for Diego Simeone should they decide to move in a different direction at the end of the 2019-20 campaign.

Simeone has been in charge of Atletico since 2011, winning La Liga, the Copa del Rey and two Europa League titles during his time with the Madrid giants.

The Argentine has also reached two Champions League finals while at the helm, but Atletico are currently sixth in La Liga and face reigning champions Liverpool in the last-16 stage of the European Cup.

According to The Telegraph, should the Spanish outfit decide to make a change this summer then Pochettino will be under consideration as a potential arrival at the Wanda Metropolitano.

The 47-year-old has been out of work since being sacked by Tottenham Hotspur in November 2019.

He has since been linked with Manchester United, Arsenal and Barcelona but remains without a position as the 2019-20 campaign continues to advance.

Pochettino managed in Spain between 2009 and 2012 before leaving Espanyol for Southampton.

SportsMole

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I’d like to see Simeone in Italy 

Who would he coach right now though? The only club that would fork over the cash right now is probably AC Milan but I don't know if that's a wise career move.

12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Can see him at Chelsea actually, get back to what they're known for, pragmatic, ruthless football. This romantic ballad with fat Frank is strange.

So now you’re praising that football? I remember you on occasion criticising it.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Who would he coach right now though? The only club that would fork over the cash right now is probably AC Milan but I don't know if that's a wise career move.

Right now no one. Only place I’d see him going to is Lazio but they’ve been great under Inzaghi. 

It won't be an easy job for him though. Managing Atletico Madrid or Valencia would be a nightmare for most. They don't take to managers easily and are known to get on their backs at the drop of a hat. The reason Simeone didn't receive this treatment is because they already loved him there.

As for Simeone going to AC Milan, I can't see that one as he has ties to Inter Milan and has always said that he wants to manage clubs that he played for. He'll never manage Real Madrid either.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

It's rumoured that Ralph Rangnick is on his way to AC Milan in the summer from a lot of sources. Could be bullshit, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's true.

I'd say his biggest ties to Italy are with Lazio, and he's not going to get the job with Inzaghi doing well with them currently. Can't see him taking over from Conte after this season either. I could see Gattuso not lasting beyond this season at Napoli though, so maybe there - but their owner's a notorious cheapskate so I doubt they'd fork over the cash as you say.

Archived