talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Nice. I've been to both cities last year. Karl Marx Stadt is now called Chemnitz. Not a pretty city. The city center is okay, but as soon as you leave it, it's a real dump. And they have a random giant Karl Marx head in the middle of the city. xD

Aue and the direct neighbour regions in the Erzgebirge are quite nice though. 

Have you ever been to Jena? We got  our eyes checked last week and the lens machine was Carl Zeiss, made in Jena. I told my boy that we just had a German football moment at the eye doctor. He said I was a loser.

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Nice. I've been to both cities last year. Karl Marx Stadt is now called Chemnitz. Not a pretty city. The city center is okay, but as soon as you leave it, it's a real dump. And they have a random giant Karl Marx head in the middle of the city. xD

Aue and the direct neighbour regions in the Erzgebirge are quite nice though. 

Nothing random about it, indeed that head was built, because Chemnitz was renamed Karl-Marx-Stadt in the GDR.

Just now, Coma said:

Have you ever been to Jena? We got  our eyes checked last week and the lens machine was Carl Zeiss, made in Jena. I told my boy that we just had a German football moment at the eye doctor. He said I was a loser.

Nope. Only Aue, Chemnitz and Zwickau. It was my first time in the former GDR. 

But yea, Carl Zeiss are a very famous and historical company. 

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Nothing random about it, indeed that head was built, because Chemnitz was renamed Karl-Marx-Stadt in the GDR.

Yea, I meant more like random because it was in front of some random house. Not a big plaza or in the middle of the city center. You wouldn't necessarily expect it where it is. 😅

11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, I meant more like random because it was in front of some random house. Not a big plaza or in the middle of the city center. You wouldn't necessarily expect it where it is. 😅

If so, they put it to another place, in the last 30 years. When I was in Chemnitz (in 1992, when we were promoted to Buli for the last time)  it  was directly ahead of the district council, were the SED party bureau was.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Coma said:

Carl Zeiss is a massive name in optics of all kinds, I'm mostly familiar with it from photography and astronomy. Their lenses are brilliant. I had old Contax and Rollei cameras that used their lenses; it's top stuff. Fun fact: the photos during the Apollo 11 Moon landing were taken using Zeiss lenses on Hasselblad cameras. 

30 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

If so, they put it to another place, in the last 30 years. When I was in Chemnitz (in 1992, when we were promoted to Buli for the last time)  it  was directly ahead of the district council, were the SED party bureau was.

It's still there apparently. That building looked like nothing to me, so I was not aware of the historical context. 

18 minutes ago, nudge said:

Carl Zeiss is a massive name in optics of all kinds, I'm mostly familiar with it from photography and astronomy. Their lenses are brilliant. I had old Contax and Rollei cameras that used their lenses; it's top stuff. Fun fact: the photos during the Apollo 11 Moon landing were taken using Zeiss lenses on Hasselblad cameras. 

At Bares für Rares they often have a lot of old stuff with Carl Zeiss involved. Like 100+ year old stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Coma said:

Thanks for not giving up on me @Tommy

That's not far from here. I remember visiting the Zoo in Krefeld as a kid, and the stadium is right next to it. 

Had quite a few self inflicted troubles in recent times with shady investors. 

17 minutes ago, Coma said:

BFC are a big club in Berlin and I'm sure they have distanced themselves from this but I still associate them with this era, rightly or wrongly. 

Erich Mielke is also a prominent character in a Netflix series I'm watching at the moment. It mixes fiction with facts, and I really recommend it. It's called Kleo

16 minutes ago, Coma said:

First time I've heard of Rotation Bad Schlema! Bad Schlema is where I stayed last year for a few days when I went to Aue vs. Fortuna. It's a bit of a Spa Town, so I'm surprised they had a football team at all. I need to do some research on that. 

3 hours ago, Bandito Burrito said:

unfortunate

and the lady all the way on the right with the fellini hair looks like a dude

Well, she's not there to look pretty for you. Pretty sure she's there to play football. 

26 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

German football fact

Germany has not progressed further than England in a major international tournament since the last decade. 

Since the last decade? Define that. I'm fairly certain Germany won the World Cup 8 years ago. 

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Erich Mielke is also a prominent character in a Netflix series I'm watching at the moment. It mixes fiction with facts, and I really recommend it. It's called Kleo

First time I've heard of Rotation Bad Schlema! Bad Schlema is where I stayed last year for a few days when I went to Aue vs. Fortuna. It's a bit of a Spa Town, so I'm surprised they had a football team at all. I need to do some research on that. 

Indeed? Every village with 300 inhabitants has one after all.

Archived