The better place to talk football.

George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

football forum

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

WOW 

You haven't answered the question. Were the ve celebrations wrong because of lack of social distancing?

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Of course but as I said, the numbers are incomparible. 

That's fair enough then. I dont agree with the timing of the protests. But it is a bit hard for them to wait until the virus is gone and then do them. It doesn't really work that way 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Of course but as I said, the numbers are incomparible. 

The numbers are, you're right. 

The concept and fact they happened, aren't. 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

That's fair enough then. I dont agree with the timing of the protests. But it is a bit hard for them to wait until the virus is gone and then do them. It doesn't really work that way 

Not really mate.

According to press and stories told to me by Chileans, they were going to protest again after the Summer (December to February) and they didn't thanks to quarantine. The Covid19 handling by their government angered the Chileans even more, but they are still waiting.

The fact the British and Americans are breaking stuff now just shows their lack of discipline, which wasn't even unique to the protests mind you. They were already going viral for doing stupid things like filling up the beaches at South Carolina or Southend and parties during quarantine.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

Not really mate.

According to press and stories told to me by Chileans, they were going to protest again after the Summer (December to February) and they didn't thanks to quarantine. The Covid19 handling by their government angered the Chileans even more, but they are still waiting.

The fact the British and Americans are breaking stuff now just shows their lack of discipline, which wasn't even unique to the protests mind you. They were already going viral for doing stupid things like filling up the beaches at South Carolina or Southend and parties during quarantine.

Social distancing was observed for the most part in Britain. There were exceptions but you don't wanna believe everything you hear in the media mate. The protests were a response to George floyds death. This has been going on for years and they had proof. It would be hard to delay and then protest with the same amount of interest from people. I actually think it will make it worse but I can understand why they felt they needed to do it now. And why are you only mentioning Britain and America there have been protests all over the world?

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well fuck it then, ill go and cuddle my daughters and grandchildren that I've not held for almost 3 months because some fuck arsed copper in America killed a black man. 

Why don't we all just fuck social distancing off altogether hey? I mean, if its OK for one race, its OK for all yeah?

Social distancing was observed for the most part in Britain. There were exceptions but you don't wanna believe everything you hear in the media mate. The protests were a response to George floyds death. This has been going on for years and they had proof. It would be hard to delay and then protest with the same amount of interest from people. I actually think it will make it worse but I can understand why they felt they needed to do it now. And why are you only mentioning Britain and America there have been protests all over the world?

Well, I can't say much about the UK as I've been reading about how they've gotten violent in some parts.

Canada has been calm but Montreal has gotten violent which I find ridiculous.

South America hasn't been violent at all but has shown solidarity via social media. I have a lot of black (or brown rather) friends in Peru who have spoken out but no protests. We have our own problems.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well fuck it then, ill go and cuddle my daughters and grandchildren that I've not held for almost 3 months because some fuck arsed copper in America killed a black man. 

Why don't we all just fuck social distancing off altogether hey? I mean, if its OK for one race, its OK for all yeah?

It's about getting social justice. You're really not very good at seeing and understanding other points of view are you. And I'm not just talking about this you have shown that loads of times 

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Well, I can't say much about the UK as I've been reading about how they've gotten violent in some parts.

Canada has been calm but Montreal has gotten violent which I find ridiculous.

South America hasn't been violent at all but has shown solidarity via social media. I have a lot of black (or brown rather) friends in Peru who have spoken out but no protests. We have our own problems.

There has been violence since this has started but social distancing was observed quite well up until the last month. That's just foreign media over exaggerating. I can't say about other countries.

It's about getting social justice. You're really not very good at seeing and understanding other points of view are you. And I'm not just talking about this you have shown that loads of times 

Not bothered. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

There has been violence since this has started but social distancing was observed quite well up until the last month. That's just foreign media over exaggerating. I can't say about other countries.

To be fair, the violence outside of America is pretty stupid. I don't mind peaceful protests because you're showing solidarity but every country has different racial issues with a different racial history. All you're really doing is raising the taxes in your own country when Trump can't be bothered what happens outside of the USA.

To be fair, the violence outside of America is pretty stupid. I don't mind peaceful protests because you're showing solidarity but every country has different racial issues with a different racial history. All you're really doing is raising the taxes in your own country when Trump can't be bothered what happens outside of the USA.

You can still care about something and protest even if it isn't in your own country. Protests have to cause disruption that's the point of them. 

You can still care about something and protest even if it isn't in your own country. Protests have to cause disruption that's the point of them. 

I didn't see people support Hong Kong? Or support the class inequality in Chile?

What's protesting in the UK gonna change in the USA anyways. And if you're protesting in your own country, as far as I know the police hadn't done anything recently to spark violence.

5 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I didn't see people support Hong Kong? Or support the class inequality in Chile?

What's protesting in the UK gonna change in the USA anyways. And if you're protesting in your own country, as far as I know the police hadn't done anything recently to spark violence.

There are problems with inequality and racist police in England. There are people who protest about things in other countries all the time this has just had a lot more response. And protesting can help even if it isn't in your own country because of international relations. And also you are showing support for the people in that country which can help

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

There are problems with inequality and racist police in England. There are people who protest about things in other countries all the time this has just had a lot more response. And protesting can help even if it isn't in your own country because of international relations. 

I know, but I'm pretty certain the same racial history doesn't coexist between the USA and the UK. 

Protest near the USA embassy if you must. But protesting in the UK won't do anything for the USA. Their government doesn't care about what goes on between you. Only if ties are cut.

Show solidarity with silent protests and then stop after that.

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I know, but I'm pretty certain the same racial history doesn't coexist between the USA and the UK. 

Protest near the USA embassy if you must. But protesting in the UK won't do anything for the USA. Their government doesn't care about what goes on between you. Only if ties are cut.

Show solidarity with silent protests and then stop after that.

They dont care unless it affects them. The uk on their own can't do much but if people are protesting all over the world it puts pressure on the USA like it did with south Africa during apartheid.  It also encourages more protests in America because people feel the world is on their side.

And anyway the protests in the UK are to get more social justice in our country as well it's not all about America

They dont care unless it affects them. The uk on their own can't do much but if people are protesting all over the world it puts pressure on the USA like it did with south Africa during apartheid.  It also encourages more protests in America because people feel the world is on their side.

People around the world won't protest though. Only those who are bothered such as Australia, Canada or the UK.

I had this exact convo with @Dr. Gonzo a few weeks back and there's no reason for Trump to pay attention to protests elsewhere. The only way he'll listen (even that's a stretch) is if the UK and said countries cut ties with them. 

Like I said, we might as well protest for womens rights in Saudi Arabia around the world, but we don't now do we?

The whole apartheid thing is a strong argument but tearing down your own country, taking down statues, banning racist shows, none of that will affect the US governments decision making unless it's in the USA itself. International pressure is good but I don't think civilians really have the power to help with that.

People around the world won't protest though. Only those who are bothered such as Australia, Canada or the UK.

I had this exact convo with @Dr. Gonzo a few weeks back and there's no reason for Trump to pay attention to protests elsewhere. The only way he'll listen (even that's a stretch) is if the UK and said countries cut ties with them. 

Like I said, we might as well protest for womens rights in Saudi Arabia around the world, but we don't now do we?

The whole apartheid thing is a strong argument but tearing down your own country, taking down statues, banning racist shows, none of that will affect the US governments decision making unless it's in the USA itself. International pressure is good but I don't think civilians really have the power to help with that.

People are tearing down statues of slave traders. That isn't anything to do with America. Like I said it is about equality in our own country as well. There have been protests in a lot of Europe. If it becomes a big thing it can affect trade. Lots of countries didn't trade with south Africa during apartheid. I agree there are counties far worse than America but that just hasn't got peoples attention. Doesn't mean people can't protest. And like I said a lot of it is about social justice in our country as well

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

People are tearing down statues of slave traders. That isn't anything to do with America. Like I said it is about equality in our own country as well. There have been protests in a lot of Europe. If it becomes a big thing it can affect trade. Lots of countries didn't trade with south Africa during apartheid. I agree there are counties far worse than America but that just hasn't got peoples attention. Doesn't mean people can't protest. And like I said a lot of it is about social justice in our country as well

Fair enough!

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Fair enough!

I know what you are saying though mate if it isn't going to make a difference what's the point of doing it especially during a pandemic. But I think it could make a difference. But the statues being taken down was because they were slave traders.

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Tbf many of the protests worldwide are in solidarity with America AND about ending systemic racism in those countries where the protests are happening. Look at what Belgium is doing to statues of King Leopold II because of what he did to the Congo. That’s got fuck all to do with the US and everything to do with systemic racism in Belgium.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf many of the protests worldwide are in solidarity with America AND about ending systemic racism in those countries where the protests are happening. Look at what Belgium is doing to statues of King Leopold II because of what he did to the Congo. That’s got fuck all to do with the US and everything to do with systemic racism in Belgium.

King Leopold was far worse than any of these other leaders though. Leopold is closer to Hitler and Stalin than anyone else.

His statue should be taken down even without this racism issue.

• The title was changed to George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

Archived