talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

football forum

Just now, Inti Brian said:

Exactly what I mean though. Many people think Aunt Jemima is the women for the Quaker brand. Is it appropriate? Not at all. But not many people know that.

My dad was confused as to why they were removing her as he thought it was just because she was black. That's what I mean by getting the wrong idea. People who don't know will believe that the brand is being racist in removing her, and I can guarantee it will be a lot especially with sensationalist headlines these days.

The motivation is good but I don't think many will have noted and it could aggravate things instead.

Why would they think that? Quaker literally stated they are going to re-brand it because of its racist stereotype. 

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Why would they think that? Quaker literally stated they are going to re-brand it because of its racist stereotype. 

Sensationalism.

And personally I think it's silly to remove statues, pictures of slaves, etc. Maybe since Aunt Jemima is part of a brand it makes sense, but in other cases it's denial at best. You shouldn't deny the past. Just don't celebrate it or dwell on it. I can see both sides of the argument, but kids especially need to learn this in their history class and be educated on it and how not to act. 

Denying the past is just a catalyst for more problems in the future. We need to learn the past and how to be equal for a better future.

It's why genocide denial is a criminal offence in a lot of countries with a history, such as Rwanda and Cambodia.

39 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Sensationalism.

And personally I think it's silly to remove statues, pictures of slaves, etc. Maybe since Aunt Jemima is part of a brand it makes sense, but in other cases it's denial at best. You shouldn't deny the past. Just don't celebrate it or dwell on it. I can see both sides of the argument, but kids especially need to learn this in their history class and be educated on it and how not to act. 

Denying the past is just a catalyst for more problems in the future. We need to learn the past and how to be equal for a better future.

It's why genocide denial is a criminal offence in a lot of countries with a history, such as Rwanda and Cambodia.

But why should African Americans be constantly reminded of what their ancestors endured? Besides, statues, confederate flags, or anything that can be considered racially historic shouldn't be out in the open in public places. More so in a museum where one can actually appreciate the historical context. 

Aunt Jemima is a racial stereotype and I agree it should be rebranded. Shocking to learn of its originality. And again, the original context of the branding is best suited in a museum. 

I'd never really heard of Aunt Jemima ever until hearing they were discontinuing the brand. Then I looked into the history of Aunt Jemima. Apparently the whole history of the brand stems out of the founder getting the idea from watching a minstrel show (think blackface).

Apparently, in the US's black community the brand has been loathed for decades. Because they believe the brand promoted racial stereotypes and also idealised the Southern plantation way of life that went down the shitter after the Confederates lost their civil war. Apparently the earliest portrayals of the "character" to advertise the brand were of a former slave that longed for the days of the pre-Civil War south and was a "happy slave." The first woman to play Aunt Jemima was actually a former slave that was hired to play the character - but even right as the brand came out, there were those in the North who thought the brand's image showed a regression in race relations.

This shit's all over the Wikipedia for the brand, tbh. So it's nothing new that Aunt Jemima syrup has been considered racist by the black community & I think anyone asking "why was the brand abandoned?" only has to do a quick google search to see that it's got been covered in racially tinged controversy since the company started.

Trying to explain to some people on Facebook that saying black lives matter isn't saying white lives don't is like having a conversation with a pork chop. I really need to stop doing it.

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Apparently England fans will be banned from singing 'swing low, sweet chariot' when Internationals resume.

Pathetic.

Its to do with slave trader links. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Its to do with slave trader links. 

How exactly, considering that it's a spiritual song that was written by a former slave from the US South, and was associated with the Underground Railway and later on with civil right movements?... 

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

How exactly, considering that it's a spiritual song that was written by a former slave from the US South, and was associated with the Underground Railway and later on with civil right movements?... 

I don't know but there is obviously something that is causing it and that is what I have heard. I don't really know enough about it to really have an opinion on it.

• Subscriber

Wallis Willis may have been a slave he also wrote the song because " He may have been inspired by the sight of the Red River, by which he was toiling, which reminded him of the Jordan River and of the Prophet Elijah's being taken to heaven by a chariot"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_Low,_Sweet_Chariot#History

So really you could class it as a religious song that the Civil Rights movement got hold of it and made it to do with slavery, I love the song and I always thought that the English Rugby Union should make it there National song that would be sung at every RU match instead of God Save The Queen, I didn't even know what this was all about until I read up on Wallis Willis.

Posted this in another thread, thought it was an interesitng statement

White people living in Burnley and other shithole post industrial towns and cities have been left behind by this country for almost half a century and now they've been told black lives matter for weeks with massive support from the media, football clubs and celebrities whilst having the worst living standards in the country
How can people not expect a reaction when they've been ignored for multiple generations
How can they see the problems black people face when they've got far too many problems of their own

Black Lives Do Matter

But BLM is ridiculous as a movement that is a wedge between poor disenfranchised black people and poor disenfranchised white people. Neither understand eachother, and never will and black people will resent white people that don't agree, and white people will resent black people because they feel it wouldn't be mutual.

A poverty stricken black man from Georgia and a poverty stricken white man from Ohio will never understand eachother even though they are a lot more similar than eachother realise.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Posted this in another thread, thought it was an interesitng statement

I don’t think it’s an either/or situation, though. Are the issues faced and/or felt by the residents of Burnley only available to those who are White British?

I’m not sure you can justify a racist banner against a Premier League Football Club, who are likely one of the biggest employers in the town and who have a community arm of their club that, likely, provides a great deal of support and help to the people of the town. 

• Subscriber

It's hardly surprising. The British public have been groomed by the Murdoch press for decades now. The working class have been turned against each other to the extent where people think the lack of joy in their lives is down to a boat full of child refugees or Sharia Law or a family on unemployment benefits having a flatscreen TV in their front room more than Jacob Rees-Mogg's company making £100m profit a year and not paying a penny of tax in the UK.

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don’t think it’s an either/or situation, though. Are the issues faced and/or felt by the residents of Burnley only available to those who are White British?

I’m not sure you can justify a racist banner against a Premier League Football Club, who are likely one of the biggest employers in the town and who have a community arm of their club that, likely, provides a great deal of support and help to the people of the town. 

I don’t think that is the point. Just looking at the rationale and motivation behind the act, not justifying it.

• The title was changed to George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

Archived