talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

football forum

8 hours ago, 6666 said:

Saying anything negative about Israel's politics now results in an instant cancel... insane.

There is no cancellation. Removing badges or making them optional is not quite the same as being cancelled. 

It's always fascinating when those quite good at recognising cultural sensitivities suddenly go tone deaf when it comes to words or framing that can come across as the Jewish conspiracy. Especially as it's not rocket science and it's not as difficult as you might pertain.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Harvsky said:

There is no cancellation. Removing badges or making them optional is not quite the same as being cancelled. 

It's always fascinating when those quite good at recognising cultural sensitivities suddenly go tone deaf when it comes to words or framing that can come across as the Jewish conspiracy. Especially as it's not rocket science and it's not as difficult as you might pertain.

Israel and Jews aren't the same thing. I wouldn't even say Israeli politics and Israels are the same thing. Israelis are actually allowed to criticise their government and they do so. There's also a BLM movement in Israel because of the treatment of Black Jews in Israel. The fact that Israelis have more freedom to criticise Israel but our media has a meltdown when anyone from here does it, is backwards.

If you have a hard time differentiating between discussions about borders, discussions about a country's political moves and hating someone because of their religion then I'd understand why you'd think criticising Israel means you must hate Jews but I'd also understand that you're completely wrong.

People that want to be antisemitic will see it all as the same thing so they can be bigoted towards Jews justifying it with Israel's politics. People that want to stop any criticism of Israel will portray all of it as being the same thing so the can shut any criticism down by saying it's antisemitic. And then there's the less malicious but still ignorant group where they feel offended by criticism of Israel because they feel a special connection with Israel and assume criticism of Israel must also be an attack on them. Which it isn't.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not sure what to make of this really. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53307555

Ditto, I don't think police harassment across here is anywhere near what's it like in America, plus American cops have guns, body-cams seem to back the police, I agree what you said  Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario? 

54 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Israel and Jews aren't the same thing. I wouldn't even say Israeli politics and Israels are the same thing. Israelis are actually allowed to criticise their government and they do so. There's also a BLM movement in Israel because of the treatment of Black Jews in Israel. The fact that Israelis have more freedom to criticise Israel but our media has a meltdown when anyone from here does it, is backwards.

If you have a hard time differentiating between discussions about borders, discussions about a country's political moves and hating someone because of their religion then I'd understand why you'd think criticising Israel means you must hate Jews but I'd also understand that you're completely wrong.

People that want to be antisemitic will see it all as the same thing so they can be bigoted towards Jews justifying it with Israel's politics. People that want to stop any criticism of Israel will portray all of it as being the same thing so the can shut any criticism down by saying it's antisemitic. And then there's the less malicious but still ignorant group where they feel offended by criticism of Israel because they feel a special connection with Israel and assume criticism of Israel must also be an attack on them. Which it isn't.

Out of interest have you actually seen the comment in question? Seems like you probably haven't.

You can actually criticise Israel. It's tosh that you can't. The notion you can't is usually one of two things. Α Jewish conspiracy, the idea that Jews control media and people in power and gag people that way. Or the same thing a stereotypical old man whose stopped thinking before he speaks whines about when he gets told off for his comments about a local ethnic minority. 

13 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not sure what to make of this really. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53307555

I mean... if what she's saying is true that the police have made up a story about how the car was driving on the wrong side of the road... then I think they're probably right that they've profiled a black driver of a luxury car in that neighborhood as a drug dealer or gang member.

Idk, it's tough to say. I don't really think police in the UK are anywhere near as bad as police in the US... but I'm also not a member of the black community so I don't know how often profiling like what's alleged happens.

Either way... seems hard as fuck to be able to prove in a lawsuit though? Really seems like a matter of he-said-she-said. The police and the people stopped by them are probably the only people who'll really know what exactly went on.

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Out of interest have you actually seen the comment in question? Seems like you probably haven't based on your opening line.

You can actually criticise Israel. It's tosh that you can't. The idea you can't is usually one of two things. Α Jewish conspiracy, the idea that Jews control media and people in power and gag people that way. Or the same thing a 70 year old whose stopped thinking before he speaks whines about when he gets told off for his comments about a local ethnic minority. 

I haven't seen the direct comment. I've seen a tweet from a BLM account in the UK that criticised Israel as an apartheid state that had a lot of comments saying it was anti-semetic bile. But I thought that was just people being hyper defensive about any criticism of Israel... because that seems to happen quite a bit.

I'd heard of an image that I didn't see until after I heard a BLM account took it down (and apologised because it contained some pretty anti-semetic depictions of Jews as controlling the world's money - although they should have known better... it's a pretty obviously anti-semetic image). And imo that image was pretty obviously anti-semetic and quite frankly I think it's the most ridiculous way of trying to claim you want equality... by being bigoted towards another minority group.

I think there's a pretty massive difference between criticism of Israel, which I think there's a lot to legitimately criticise there quite frankly, and then promoting the same anti-semetic stereotypes that were being promoted in Germany prior to the holocaust. I do think that sometimes though, the two are conflated quite a bit though.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean... if what she's saying is true that the police have made up a story about how the car was driving on the wrong side of the road... then I think they're probably right that they've profiled a black driver of a luxury car in that neighborhood as a drug dealer or gang member.

Idk, it's tough to say. I don't really think police in the UK are anywhere near as bad as police in the US... but I'm also not a member of the black community so I don't know how often profiling like what's alleged happens.

Either way... seems hard as fuck to be able to prove in a lawsuit though? Really seems like a matter of he-said-she-said. The police and the people stopped by them are probably the only people who'll really know what exactly went on.

Don't the police have dashcams on the cars? 

Would have thought that'd be definitive of whether they're right or wrong in this case. 

3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Would have thought that'd be definitive of whether they're right or wrong in this case. 

Think they are also trying to pass a bill where there needs to be cameras physically on the officers from now on. 

53 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I would assume they do, but I've heard a story from someone I know... I don't really remember all the details of it, but it involved a dispute with what the police were saying happened regarding a traffic incident vs what that person was saying happened on the road. And there was no video evidence other than a shite mobile video of the incident.

So I have no idea really, but I'd assume they would and that would be the best evidence.

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53343967

The US police officer accused of George Floyd's murder told him to stop talking as he repeatedly gasped under the man's knee, according to court documents.

The unarmed black man cried out for his late mother and children as he said the Minneapolis policeman would kill him, transcripts from body-cam footage show.

They were disclosed in court by lawyers for one of the four officers involved.

The documents offer the clearest picture yet of Mr Floyd's last moments. His death in May sparked global uproar.

It led to a wave of anti-racism protests led by the Black Lives Matter movement, and stirred debate and reflection in the US over the country's history of slavery and segregation.

All four officers involved in taking Mr Floyd into custody were fired and arrested. Derek Chauvin, who knelt on his neck, faces several charges including second-degree murder, while the other three - Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao - are charged with aiding and abetting murder.

Until now, eyewitness footage shared on social media revealed most of what was known about Mr Floyd's arrest and his final moments.

The new transcripts give a more detailed account, shedding light on significant parts of the encounter, from the time Mr Lane and Mr Kueng arrived at the scene, to the point where Mr Floyd was given CPR in an ambulance.

Transcripts of footage recorded by body cameras fitted to Mr Lane and Mr Kueng show Mr Floyd said more than 20 times he could not breathe as he was restrained by the officers in a Minneapolis street.

They confronted him outside a convenience store where he was suspected of having used a forged $20 note to buy cigarettes.

At one point, a handcuffed Mr Floyd, while pinned down on the road next to the police car, gasps that he cannot breathe, adding: "You're going to kill me, man."

Mr Chauvin, who is shown in bystander footage appearing to kneel on Mr Floyd's neck for nearly eight minutes, replies: "Then stop talking, stop yelling.

"It takes heck of a lot of oxygen to talk."

The transcripts show Mr Floyd appears co-operative at the beginning of the arrest, repeatedly apologising to the officers after they approach his parked car.

Mr Lane asks Mr Floyd to show his hands at least 10 times before ordering him to get out of the vehicle.

In response to one of the demands to see his hands, Mr Floyd says: "Man, I got, I got shot the same way, Mr Officer, before." It is not clear what he is referring to

At one point Mr Lane says: "Why's he getting all squirrelly and not showing us his hands and just being all weird like that?"

The officers then handcuff Mr Floyd and try to put him into the back of their police car. As they do, Mr Floyd becomes agitated, repeatedly pleading that he is claustrophobic.

Mr Lane asks if he is "on something". Mr Floyd replies: "I'm scared, man."

According to another document, Mr Lane told investigators that once in the car, Mr Floyd began "thrashing back and forth".

When asked "So he pushed himself out of the car?" Mr Lane replied: "Yeah".

The investigator then asks: "Versus you guys pulling him out of the car?" and Mr Lane says: "Yeah, because the goal is to keep him in the car, we didn't want him coming out again."

Pinned on the ground, according to the transcript, Mr Floyd cries out a dozen times: "Mama."

At one point, when Mr Floyd continues to plead he can't breathe, Mr Lane asks Mr Chauvin: "Should we roll him on his side?"

Mr Chauvin responds: "No, he's staying put where we got him."

Mr Lane then says: "Okay. Just worry about the excited delirium or whatever."

Mr Chauvin replies: "Well that's why we got the ambulance coming," and Mr Lane says "Okay, I suppose".

Mr Chauvin's lawyers have not commented on the documents since they were made public.

23 hours ago, Stan said:

What's going on

"Federal troops" sent by Trump grabbing people into unmarked vans and just generally terrorising protesters. Mayor of Portland has said these troops aren't welcome in Portland.

One thing I have noticed about racists is they don't seem to want to admit they may act a different way with different circumstances. If we look at crime statistics for people in poverty or if they grow up around crime it is very different to how people act if they don't grow up around these things. That's not to say all people who grow up in poverty or around crime will commit crime but it increases your chances. But if a racist admits that it means there prejudice is less meaningful because they could have turned out different.

@Stan just a question for you?  Have you ever noticed times where you felt you were treated differently as an Asian person? Some people say white privilege doesn't exist. However amongst experts who study these things there doesn't appear to much doubt that it does.  I didn't realise so much study had been done into it.

• The title was changed to George Floyd Death - Derek Chauvin Guilty of Murder

Archived