talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Sunday 14th February, 2021

football forums

• Administrator

Kick-off 12.00

Live on Amazon Prime

1200px-FC_Southampton.svg.png      VS     1200px-Wolverhampton_Wanderers.svg.png

Recent Form
Southampton - WLLLL
Wolves - LDWLD

Last 3 Meetings
11/02/2021 - Wolves 0-2 Southampton (FA Cup)
23/11/2020 - Wolves 1-1 Southampton
18/01/2020 - Southampton 2-3 Wolves

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Southampton 1-0 Wolves - Sunday 14th February, 2021
  • The title was changed to Southampton 1-1 Wolves - Sunday 14th February, 2021
  • Subscriber

I've lost count of how many times I've pointed this out now but note that Southampton have now lost 6 league games in a row including a 9-0 to Manchester United, are sat 13th in the league level on points with Crystal Palace and literally nobody is talking about it. Yet the next time they get an impressive result, the media will be rimming him again and acting like they're doing it every week.

I have nothing against Hassenhuttl, he's a good manager and it's impressive how well Southampton do in general without really spending big transfer fees on many players, but I still just can't understand why our media, who are generally massive cunts and always looking for the next under pressure manager, take every opportunity to big up the bloke when they do well, and completely ignore the poor form. Genuinely fascinated as to why it is.

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've lost count of how many times I've pointed this out now but note that Southampton have now lost 6 league games in a row including a 9-0 to Manchester United, are sat 13th in the league level on points with Crystal Palace and literally nobody is talking about it. Yet the next time they get an impressive result, the media will be rimming him again and acting like they're doing it every week.

I have nothing against Hassenhuttl, he's a good manager and it's impressive how well Southampton do in general without really spending big transfer fees on many players, but I still just can't understand why our media, who are generally massive cunts and always looking for the next under pressure manager, take every opportunity to big up the bloke when they do well, and completely ignore the poor form. Genuinely fascinated as to why it is.

The BBC’s mentioned its 6 losses in a row a shitload of times today.

But yeah, I agree with you - he (and Southampton) are getting a pretty easy ride from the media.

But I’m not surprised - the media plays favourites. Hassenhuttl’s a nice guy who gets on well with journos, plays at a club that most people find “inoffensive” (because other than Portsmouth fans - who hates Southampton?), and under him an English striker is playing really really well. I think these all play into the press giving him minimal pressure tbh.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The BBC’s mentioned its 6 losses in a row a shitload of times today.

But yeah, I agree with you - he (and Southampton) are getting a pretty easy ride from the media.

But I’m not surprised - the media plays favourites. Hassenhuttl’s a nice guy who gets on well with journos, plays at a club that most people find “inoffensive” (because other than Portsmouth fans - who hates Southampton?), and under him an English striker is playing really really well. I think these all play into the press giving him minimal pressure tbh.

Let's be honest, it's the 'big six' and everyone else.

Amazon Prime started their coverage of this game with a comment about yesterday's game in the context of a title race. They mentioned Man City in their ridiculous unstoppable form and being top of the table, then Liverpool losing ground and having a massive drop in form. No other team matters in the media's eyes, for the most part.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Prior to this run though they were up and around the top 4, so it’s not like it’s been consistent poor runs. And he got a lot of criticism last season up to the Leicester game before turning the season around.

• The title was changed to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Sunday 14th February, 2021
  • Administrator
16 minutes ago, Danny said:

Prior to this run though they were up and around the top 4, so it’s not like it’s been consistent poor runs. And he got a lot of criticism last season up to the Leicester game before turning the season around.

I think @RandoEFC's point is that if any other manager loses 6 games in a row, wherever they are in the table or whatever has happened up to that batch of games, they get a lot of shit. There doesn't seem to be much aimed at Hassenhuttl, especially considering there was (another) 9-0 included in that 6...

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Danny said:

This isn't something I can support with objective evidence. It's just that sometimes you get a team or a player or a manager where all of the analysis seems to be either positive or negative. Southampton are far from the only team in the league that run hot and cold but you seem to hear an awful lot about how good Hassenhuttl is when they're doing well, and much less about their poor form. A fair analysis would be that his teams are capable of beating anyone on their day, and play an impressive brand of football making good use of their academy (all fair praise that you hear pretty often) but that they are prone to poor results more often than they should be and lack consistency overall (which rarely seems to be added as as a caveat when they do get praised). Just a feeling I have, I might be wrong, it might even be because there are no Southampton fans on this forum, but it does seem to fly under the radar when they have a poor run compared to Newcastle, Brighton, Crystal Palace and other similar teams.

Tbf the Southampton squad is an absolute mess and most weeks they’re having to improvise pretty sub-par solutions in different areas of the pitch. 

Nonetheless, they have never really looked in danger of going down, when they looked in a lot of trouble not long ago. 

Hasenhuttl’s record with Ingolstadt and Leipzig speaks for itself, and I’m sure if you asked any Southampton fan I think they’re aware that no matter how things went for then, Hasenhuttl would quite likely get a job somewhere with a much better squad.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

How often do you get it where two teams play each other twice in a week, where the same team wins both? Doesn't seem to happen.

Southampton won in midweek?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived