talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2020 Discussion Thread

football forum

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Well apparently they don't work that well :ph34r: The names are getting overwritten for some reason; can only see it being an issue with the database??? Especially since they all sound Ukrainian. Probably some discrepancies and overlap there...

Yep. The save is broken.

I took this photo 30 minutes ago.

e3d876aba2510379648f952c6c6d0c6b.png?width=1186&height=672

After that I restarted FM to see if it would fix it. Bam, Meth Suhana is replaced by Antonyuk.

35a577d33369d0476ae78a2a05d64532.png

In the end all this really does is that I won't be able to look back at my old players when the save is done so it doesn't hurt me too much but damn that is quite annoying :( 

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Dan said:

You probably can't check now but they were probably partially Bulgarian or Belarusian or something like that. Find it quite bizarre though how they both have a single Eastern European name - must be some form of trend there.

You get some funny named regens on mine. Seems to be quite a few English / German now too.

Just saw this. I swear they were full Cambodian. As Nudge said, their names are being overwritten but I have no idea why.

I'll just assume they are all legally changing their names and escaping to Ukraine. That should calm me down.

33 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

This squad is starting to run its course.

I need an insane player in this years intake otherwise I could go backwards for the next few years.

Not quite an insane player but I can't say I'm disappointed with this striker I got.

1b1823fe240e396aee5680db46541248.png

Starting to think I'll never complete this challenge. I have a seriously good squad. A blue moon in Intakes, yet China and South Korea continue giving me a reality check.

I'm going to keep going but it might take me a century again.

• Subscriber

image.thumb.png.e5d979cbbf5f4521852eb7c44d0f7dcd.png

So we came back for the second half of the season with a slightly new system - the same formation but new instructions and a new method, we are apparently well suited to controlling the possession so I decided to try that, and we made a very good start with two away wins.

The Leipzig result however was piss poor. Now Leipzig are good, but it was a very comforable defeat to a team that player for player there really isn't much between us. The pressure had been ramped up on me enough already so I was now to hit a target of 10 points from my next 5 games.

After the Hoffenheim win I thought we'd do it. We smashed them to pieces in the game dubbed 'El Sackico' but in true Gladbach style went and blew the home game against a very beatable Frankfurt side - and frankly how we lost is a mystery to me, another game of total domination of clear cut chances, not a single one finished. The pressure was on me big time.

Then I had the huge stroke of luck - game 5 became Freiburg at home rather than Dortmund away.

Stuttgart away was simply the most topsy turvy game ever and one where I thought I was sunk.

image.png.3a2bd233d4f36abe00563b3efc1c5719.png

VAR also ruled a Stuttgart goal out at 2-2. When that went in I was as good as gone in my eyes. If I'd lost that game I would've been unable to hit the 10 points.

The Leverkusen hammering meant that I needed to just avoid defeat from Freiburg at home. I really wouldn't put it past us to blow it.

image.png.668ff83c9c8a88579d8fd7d30378ad85.png

We never ever seem to do it the easy way. Head in hands at 0-2 and I was convinced that was it, we really had blown it. I survived but it was still a poor result for me.

image.thumb.png.20adebaddbd45c7e8dee20da3d7a90f1.png

This is just funny. My first game back without any pressure and we draw with the biggest pile of rabble you will see at this level. We then go and draw with the best xD

Lets talk about Mainz, and Schalke.

Mainz are a problem. They're 5th in the league and I sit 6th. To guarantee Europa League football and my own security, I need to finish 5th. 6th will get it providing the DFP Pokal is lifted by a team in Europe, but there is only one side out of the four left in it that will make it in Schalke - and they got the trickiest tie they could've had in Bremen away. If Schalke failed to win the cup, it meant that 6th place was no longer in Europe and if we finished there, I would probably be sacked.

image.thumb.png.34882afa1444ca2b1af87a07d1e153e3.png

Where to even start with this month. So after all that laughing at the fact I had to play Freiburg rather than Dortmund to save my arse, I actually managed to get the point in that game too.

Hertha Berlin away was yet another basket case of a game, we were 3-2 down with 5 left and somehow stole it. We never, ever do it the easy way. Well, other than Hamburg at home which was very comfortable.

Then the big one. Mainz at home. We went into the game a point behind them.

image.png.bf8cf7f9893d4b7427913b07117b0d01.png

Absolute disaster. Mainz really did defy all logic. Their squad is actually really average and they're frequently starting 18 year olds that I don't particularly rate that highly, but they probably deserved it. We really were relying on Schalke now. Thankfully they won at Bremen, and would face either Heidenheim or Fortuna Dusseldorf in the cup final - both of those were in the 2nd tier. You would like to think they would finish the job but I'm ruling nothing out in this season.

We then won at Bochum, made harder work of it than we should but we got the points. Mainz staggeringly lost at home to 16th placed Hamburg and the gap was back to a point.

image.thumb.png.de04b1a9216d2492808b153578b8483b.png

The final three games were satisfactory although losing at Schalke isn't easy to take, but in fairness they have had a great season. The Koln win was one to savour and Bremen was a complete stroll. The final day came down to Schalke ultimately - something about them seems to dictate what happens to us, as they went to Mainz with Mainz going into the game 2 points ahead of us but with a far worse goal difference.

They drew. Panic over. Mainz equalised in the 91st minute but we'd done it. I'm safe.

image.thumb.png.51b32193ce1a6a73c2a66c6ac2232ae8.png

So we pulled it off in the end. It was arduous but we got there. The objective next year is to go one better and finish in the top 4. It's a massive ask, but we have a lovely budget this year. The catch however is I'm almost certainly going to lose Galeno for a relative pittance due to a clause.

The pressure isn't going to be relieved next year. It's going to be even trickier. But we live to fight another day.

• Subscriber

It's very hard to get bargains on this FM. I've made another relatively good signing at right back but I'm struggling with wingers here. I need two. Trincao I liked but I don't think he's quite worth what we'd have to pay to get him, and Galeno is going to leave.

Galeno is worth £40mil and has a clause that means he can go to a Champions League club for £20mil. I put my DoF in charge of contracts because they do a far better job than me with wages but that was absolutely mad to put that clause in when I only paid £13mil for him in the first place. Without that clause we take I think a minimum of £60mil for him.

Jaeckel has signed a new contract though which is a huge boost.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

WHAT

I saw he was a free agent and that he planned to retire after this season, so I thought I'd scout him, not completely as a joke but it weirdly makes more sense than you would think. I have made the odd signing of a player that kind of age without much success, but this is different. I'm still relatively new to FM20 so I'm testing the waters somewhat. Messi doesn't need any description. Even at 37 he is a genius. He lacks the pace big time but he has enough brilliance to be of some use to our team and he's actually quite a good fit for the tweak that I'm making this year.

Galeno went to Barcelona for £20.5mil. Ideal move really. There was a three way battle between Barcelona, Bayern and Arsenal. Well I'm sick of Bayern already and the stronghold they have on the league so I'm glad they've missed out. Arsenal, not even joking, decided to try and haggle over about two million and as a result never got a bid accepted. That is surely some sort of joke from FM xD Arsenal have a bit of a reputation for being like that - £20.5mil for Galeno is superb business, why on earth would you let the others steal a march on you? Go in and get the bastard.

Barcelona signing him also means I can say that they signed him for £20.5mil plus Messi xD

Anyway, we've signed some interesting regens this summer. I am finding it tricky to find the right players though.

Just now, Dan said:

I saw he was a free agent and that he planned to retire after this season, so I thought I'd scout him, not completely as a joke but it weirdly makes more sense than you would think. I have made the odd signing of a player that kind of age without much success, but this is different. I'm still relatively new to FM20 so I'm testing the waters somewhat. Messi doesn't need any description. Even at 37 he is a genius. He lacks the pace big time but he has enough brilliance to be of some use to our team and he's actually quite a good fit for the tweak that I'm making this year.

Galeno went to Barcelona for £20.5mil. Ideal move really. There was a three way battle between Barcelona, Bayern and Arsenal. Well I'm sick of Bayern already and the stronghold they have on the league so I'm glad they've missed out. Arsenal, not even joking, decided to try and haggle over about two million and as a result never got a bid accepted. That is surely some sort of joke from FM xD Arsenal have a bit of a reputation for being like that - £20.5mil for Galeno is superb business, why on earth would you let the others steal a march on you? Go in and get the bastard.

Barcelona signing him also means I can say that they signed him for £20.5mil plus Messi xD

Anyway, we've signed some interesting regens this summer. I am finding it tricky to find the right players though.

Set him up as a mentor for some of your younger players. Those kind of players make mentals OP.

I had a friend who signed Eto’o in Ethiopia and some of his regens had insane mental stats thanks to that.

Was ploughing through the summer of 2021 on my Crystal Palace save. A Chinese club offered eight million for Vicente Guaita. I never knew how much I loved him until I had to sell to him.

In the same window where Wilf, Benteke and Sakho all moved on. Fans are going to be livid.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived