Football Manager 2020 Discussion Thread

football forum

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

billericay_town_fc_2.gif?6rjsgcdSvgIIs72

Billericay Town Football Club - Season 2020/21

Vanarama National League South - 1st

FA Cup - Third Round (lost 2-1 to Brentford)

FA Trophy - Third Round (lost 1-2aet to Nuneaton Borough)

I love the end of your first season on Football Manager. It's the time when you really put your own stamp on your side and I knew what I wanted to do at 'Ricky this summer. I knew that a number of players at the club were to be released, I had players on daft money for that level and others that were okay players for the National League South but nothing more. Eleven players were released in total and there was to be quite a rebuild. In total, thirteen new faces arrived, mainly teenagers who'd been released by Premier League clubs. There was just one player I wanted to keep that I couldn't, Michael Cooper, an 18 year-old centre back regen I'd signed from Letterkenny in Ireland. His contract was going to expire in the summer of 2021 and he wanted to play in the Premier League (his words). Aston Villa kept offering a derogatory £5,000 and wouldn't allow any clauses, whereas Brentford come in and offered £18,000, 35% of his future transfer fee and a pre-season friendly. It wasn't ideal but it was better than potentially losing him for nothing. 

The league campaign started brilliantly, we lost just two games before Christmas, two 0-1 reverses at home (Oxford City and Truro City) in games in which we dominated but were countered and conceded. The archetypal smash and grab, if you will. Other than that, we were ticking away nicely, scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and comfortably in the top three throughout. 

We had a sticky patch in March, though. Dartford played us off the park at home, I thought we'd managed to shithouse our way to a point with a 91st minute equaliser, only for Dartford to score a winner in the 93rd. Dorking followed and we were poor again and only come out with a 0-1 defeat. We drew three games in March as well, to teams we should have been beating and I suppose there was a brief moment of thinking that we were going to mess this up again but I had confidence in this side, we could keep clean sheets (in total Simon Bloch Jorgensen kept 28 across all competitions) and if we scored (we only failed to score in eight games all season), I made us favourites. Wins against Gosport Borough, Kingstonian and Hungerford Town meant we needed just a point from our penultimate game against Oxford City to be crowned champions. A minute in and we're one down. Again, I wasn't afraid that we'd bottle, I knew we could score and had a long time to take control of the game and we did just that with Herson Alves scoring an equaliser, meaning the title was ours. 

The FA Cup was a particular highlight though. Bowers & Pitsea (2-0), Weston-super-Mare (3-0) and Blyth Spartans (2-1 in a replay) were disposed of to set up a tie at now League One side Forest Green Rovers. It was a test I was excited for, I knew this side was probably the best in our league but how would we fare against a side three leagues above us? Shamir Fenelon, one of my 'older' signings at  briefly put us one up before FGR hit us with two goals. Phoenix Patterson, a youngster picked up on a free from Tottenham scored two quick goals just after half-time leaving us with 35 minutes to hang on and we did just that. It wasn't pretty, twenty fouls and six yellows were given against us but we created an upset. 

The draw for the second round was kind, it gave us Darlington, who at the time were marooned in the relegation zone of the National League. They were awful, we were confident and we beat them 3-0. Now, the draw for the Third Round. I was in two minds about who I wanted in it. Part of me did think that a City, Liverpool or United absolytely changes the face of the club but a heavy defeat could decimate morale. Instead, we drew Brentford away in their new home. Not a massive payday but still, one we would make a great deal of money from. Brentford raced into a two goal lead and I feared the worst but we shut up shop and kept them at bay. Idris Kadded come off the bench and pulled one back late on and I just abandoned all sane thoughts and went for it to try and get an equaliser but it wasn't to be. 

The FA Trophy was not one I was really bothered about as I wanted the title but it got to the stage where we looked like we could progress quite far. Faversham Town (3-0), Maidstone (1-0 in a replay) and Southport (3-2) were beaten to set up a last sixteen tie with Nuneaton, a team struggling in the National League North. We should have beat them really but we'd played nine games in January, had a few knocks and some players looking absolutely exhausted and they managed to get the winning goal in extra time. I'd hoped we could get to penalties and then could have won it but it was probably a good thing that we got beat here, as much as I did want the double. 

An excellent season overall, the young players come in and were, on the whole, good signings and after another summer of young players being recruited with a couple of experienced heads thrown in, the predictions are that we'll finish 9th. I'd take that for a first season in the National League. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just finished my first season with Leeds. We got promoted by finishing second. Fulham won the league and were dominating for the entire season. The gap between the top 2 was only 6 points by the end of it but they were an absolute bitch to beat. 
Broke the points, goals and wins record for the season which was nice. Won Manager of the Year which was nice also. Signed a few of the loan players permanently and added a few other faces and now think we are ready to fight in the top flight. It’s going to be a tough season but I’m really excited! We’ve got Liverpool in the first game (echoing the real life fixtures) and it should be a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Update since the last time. Lost 8-0 to Liverpool on the first day of the league season. Since then, only won 3 or 4 times but we are out of the relegation zone and it's approaching the festive season. I wanted to at least last in the job until January so pleased that is looking likely. I am favourite in the Sack Race however...

2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Update since the last time. Lost 8-0 to Liverpool on the first day of the league season. Since then, only won 3 or 4 times but we are out of the relegation zone and it's approaching the festive season. I wanted to at least last in the job until January so pleased that is looking likely. I am favourite in the Sack Race however...

It's not the end of the world if you get sacked, as @Stan can back up when he got sacked as manager of St. Albans. :)

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It's not the end of the world if you get sacked, as @Stan can back up when he got sacked as manager of St. Albans. :)

What an absolutely sensational game that turned out to be.

Never give up @Pyfish!

Sacked from St Albans within 6 months in January 2017. 

England manager by 2026.

Madness.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

1 hour ago, Stan said:

What an absolutely sensational game that turned out to be.

Never give up @Pyfish!

Sacked from St Albans within 6 months in January 2017. 

England manager by 2026.

Madness.

I think having got Leeds promoted, I’d manage to find a decent enough team to manage next

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I like how they say all eleven were in the team of the week, yet say who it includes as well. 

And before anyone says anything, yes I know that can include subs but let's be honest, that isn't too often. 

Stupid thing is that I got another news item that said Harrison had had a bad game.

I started a new career with the 2020-2021 season transfer patch. Konyaspor in Turkish SüperLig. (Konya city of Turkey)

225px-Konyaspor_1922.png

Club Info: Konyaspor is a Turkish professional football club based in Konya. They are better known as Konyaspor. In 1922 Konyaspor were founded with the name Konya Gençlerbirliği and have played at their current home stadium, Konya Büyükşehir Stadium, since 2014. Konyaspor currently play in the Süper Lig, the top tier of Turkish football. The club colours are green and white. (Wikipedia)

UMPu5L.jpg

jFpORX.jpg

AheeGW.png

There will be new news about this career in the future.

• 1 month later...

Anyone ever felt sorry for another team on here?

I’ve been playing as Chelmsford City. First season, second place and lost in the play-off semi’s. Second season after I’ve signed a load of youngsters released by Premier League clubs, on fire. Drop points in just ten games all season, end the season in first place in the Vanarama South on ONE HUNDRED AND TWELVE POINTS, as you’d expect.

Based off that, when did we get promoted? February? March? Nah, the last day of the season. Weymouth, who we didn’t beat home (0-0) or away (1-0), pushed us all the way and ended up on 110 points. Play-offs bound to be a walk in the park? They lost on penalties in the semi-final to a Welling team that finished something like 14 points behind them. 

I will do a proper write up this weekend, because what else is there to do, but I actually wanted them promoted alongside us as we’ve both absolutely ruined that league.

• The topic was unpinned
  • 1 month later...

Archived