• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lee Bowyer Leaves Charlton Athletic

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Heading to Birmingham apparently...

I'm not sure what to make of it. It may be a really good fit and what he needs but Charlton fans have been calling for a change themselves. Might just be a case of its ran its course at one club but he can have an impact at another (ie Pardew from Newcastle to Palace).

I think his work at Charlton has gone under the radar a bit. To work under the circumstances he did under Duchatelet and then deliver a promotion was exceptional, really, given the backdrop there. To then get a new owner last January to then somehow be worse than Duchatelet was a new low for Charlton and then to nearly stay up was quite an achievement considering the squad they had was littered with academy players, they weren’t sure whether they’d be paid at all let alone on time and Lyle Taylor walking. They should have been dead and buried long before then.

I think they’re roughly where they should be this season, all things considered. I’m not sure Birmingham is a better job, it’s out of the frying pan, into the fire with that club. 

Bowyer is baffled that Joe Aribo has decided to head north and not continue his education in England.

“I worked so hard to get him to this situation he is in now,” said the former Newcastle and Leeds midfielder

“It is about progression for him. So it’s a shame if he gets pushed to somewhere where it is not going to benefit him in his football career.  

“If he goes to Rangers that is not the right place for him to go for his football career.

“You have got Rangers and Celtic who are massive clubs, I get that. And I get that Steven Gerrard was a great player, so that’s an attraction. Those two things are the attraction – but not everything else.

Get fucked mate. Last 16 of the Europa League.

3 minutes ago, Rab said:

Bowyer is baffled that Joe Aribo has decided to head north and not continue his education in England.

“I worked so hard to get him to this situation he is in now,” said the former Newcastle and Leeds midfielder

“It is about progression for him. So it’s a shame if he gets pushed to somewhere where it is not going to benefit him in his football career.  

“If he goes to Rangers that is not the right place for him to go for his football career.

“You have got Rangers and Celtic who are massive clubs, I get that. And I get that Steven Gerrard was a great player, so that’s an attraction. Those two things are the attraction – but not everything else.

Get fucked mate. Last 16 of the Europa League.

He said that based on Brentford's track record of improving players he thought that was a better career move which is entirely plausible. 

8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

He said that based on Brentford's track record of improving players he thought that was a better career move which is entirely plausible. 

Aribo is good enough to progress anywhere he goes. He's one game away from potential last 8 spotlight.

37 minutes ago, Rab said:

Aribo is good enough to progress anywhere he goes. He's one game away from potential last 8 spotlight.

Let’s be honest no one would have predicted you’d get this far into the competition so it is feasible to say that we would be the better move for a player, the last couple of years we’ve brought through Chris Mepham, Ezri Konsa, Ollie Watkins, Neal Maupay and Said Benrahma and sold them directly into the Prem, we done the same a few years back with Alan Judge who was a broken leg away from signing for Newcastle.

Outside of that we’ve sold on Andre Gray, James Tarkowski, Romaine Sawyers, Moses Odubajo and John Egan who in their first seasons with their new clubs have gained promotion to the Prem...we’ve put them all on a platform where they can make a big jump and the clubs focus is so concentrated on getting 100% from the players at all times.

Clearly Aribo’s decision has been vindicated, a league title and progress into Europe. We’ve seen Celtic’s players get nicked by Prem or top flight European teams in the past so no reason yours can’t now (not that that is good for you, just for the players).

But it was hardly a get fucked type comment, you’d struggle to find more than a handful of clubs in the UK better at identify and progressing young talent than us.

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

Let’s be honest no one would have predicted you’d get this far into the competition so it is feasible to say that we would be the better move for a player, the last couple of years we’ve brought through Chris Mepham, Ezri Konsa, Ollie Watkins, Neal Maupay and Said Benrahma and sold them directly into the Prem, we done the same a few years back with Alan Judge who was a broken leg away from signing for Newcastle.

Outside of that we’ve sold on Andre Gray, James Tarkowski, Romaine Sawyers, Moses Odubajo and John Egan who in their first seasons with their new clubs have gained promotion to the Prem...we’ve put them all on a platform where they can make a big jump and the clubs focus is so concentrated on getting 100% from the players at all times.

Clearly Aribo’s decision has been vindicated, a league title and progress into Europe. We’ve seen Celtic’s players get nicked by Prem or top flight European teams in the past so no reason yours can’t now (not that that is good for you, just for the players).

But it was hardly a get fucked type comment, you’d struggle to find more than a handful of clubs in the UK better at identify and progressing young talent than us.

Obviously can't compete with the track record of *checks notes*... Alan Hutton and Jean-Alain Boumsong...

Archived