talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which German Team to Support?

Hi all 

New to the forum, and I was eager to pick a German club to support (perhaps Bundesliga, but would be happy to follow a 2nd or 3rd team as well). I originally liked Dortmund, for no particular reason other than their brightly-coloured kit, however that feels like an easy option being that they're one of the top clubs. 

A few criteria below 

1. Not particularly successful 

I support a lower league (by which I mean non league) team and I've got used to a certain lifestyle of barren runs, trophyless years and bleak prospects, so supporting a Bayern or someone like that would be out of the question. 

2. No goal music 

I've seen clubs that have goal music, but it's not for me 

3. Not too political 

Fair play to anyone who speaks up for what they believe in, but a lot of German clubs seem directly embedded in politics in a way English teams aren't, which personally wouldn't be for me 

4. Other sports clubs 

One thing I like about continental football that English football doesn't have is clubs having teams in other sports. 

If anyone has any recommendations on who to follow, it would be much appreciated.  

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Hello @Ploughendplonker, welcome to TF365, you are best posting in  https://talkfootball365.com/forum/38-introductions/ the newcomer's thread and tell us a bit about yourself and regarding recommendations on who to follow as a few members in here might not visit the German Bundesliga Forum as much as others do, other than that, welcome again and keep posting.  :ay:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Faithcore said:

True.

Well, he obviously has not heard the legendary Zebratwist yet.

Or our fantastic Nebelhorn. There's one disadvantage though, now whenever I hear a random ship's horn somewhere, I automatically assume Werder have scored and get thoroughly confused for a few moments :4_joy:

Just now, nudge said:

Or our fantastic Nebelhorn. There's one disadvantage though, now whenever I hear a random ship's horn somewhere, I automatically assume Werder have scored and get thoroughly confused for a few moments :4_joy:

Has this by any chance gotten better in the last few years? :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Faithcore said:

Has this by any chance gotten better in the last few years? :ph34r:

Was genuinely unsure whether to react with this react_haha.png or react_sad.png.

You monster.

1 hour ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Hi all 

New to the forum, and I was eager to pick a German club to support (perhaps Bundesliga, but would be happy to follow a 2nd or 3rd team as well). I originally liked Dortmund, for no particular reason other than their brightly-coloured kit, however that feels like an easy option being that they're one of the top clubs. 

A few criteria below 

1. Not particularly successful 

I support a lower league (by which I mean non league) team and I've got used to a certain lifestyle of barren runs, trophyless years and bleak prospects, so supporting a Bayern or someone like that would be out of the question. 

2. No goal music 

I've seen clubs that have goal music, but it's not for me 

3. Not too political 

Fair play to anyone who speaks up for what they believe in, but a lot of German clubs seem directly embedded in politics in a way English teams aren't, which personally wouldn't be for me 

4. Other sports clubs 

One thing I like about continental football that English football doesn't have is clubs having teams in other sports. 

If anyone has any recommendations on who to follow, it would be much appreciated.  

Mainz.  Not successful but good enough to stay up every year and they put out quality coaches (Klopp, Tuchel, soon to be Svensson).  No political affiliations that I'm aware of.  They put out some quirky carnival kits.  I'm very fond of them but then again I'm fond of all German football clubs.  Except Bayern... and Leipzig.

• The title was changed to Which German Team to Support?

Archived