talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton - Monday 27th September, 2021

football forums

10 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Comical goal conceded there from a long goal kick.

And yet we’ll keep hearing “Kick it long, don’t mess about” every weekend at some point or another. 

Kick it long, don't mess about, but not down the throat of the pitch. If he aims for the flank it finishes 0-0.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pretty shit for Palace, I think they've played pretty well.

18 minutes ago, Rick said:

Palace…that’s a terrible way to finish. What was the keeper doing?! 

Maupay is the ultimate shithouse isn’t he? Brilliant hahaha

Nice to see Zaha fuming once again. Petulant little fucker. 

I'm well aware he will score on Sunday, maybe more than once, and @The Palace Fan will happily gloat about it xD

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nice to see Zaha fuming once again. Petulant little fucker. 

I'm well aware he will score on Sunday, maybe more than once, and @The Palace Fan will happily gloat about it xD

It's swings and roundabouts in this fixture. Lewis Dunk done the same thing in the last two games at Selhurst Park because he was pissed at the result.

24 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

What a comical shit goal to concede at the end there xDImagine defending 90 minutes to be undone by a dink back from a goal kick

We don't defend for 90 minutes ant more. Viva la Revolution atm.

13 hours ago, Inverted said:

Comical goal conceded there from a long goal kick.

And yet we’ll keep hearing “Kick it long, don’t mess about” every weekend at some point or another. 

I’d say we’ve seen more comical goals playing out from the back than a long ball though?

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’d say we’ve seen more comical goals playing out from the back than a long ball though?

Personally, I think that the number of goals conceded from giving away possession from goal kicks ultimately outweighs the number of goals conceded from trying to play out. The difference is that if you give the ball away at the edge of your box and concede, the viewer's mind makes an easy connection because the effect is instant.

But if you hoof it long, lose it, and concede 30 seconds later, the viewer will probably forget how the ball was lost. So they won't see any connection - or they might find some missed header or interception which they will blame instead.

Of course, there are extreme circumstances where teams set up extremely well to win long balls and don't pay much attention to the technical quality of their defenders - like Burnley. For them it probably is always worth going long, but only because they've built a whole team around being really good at it.

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Personally, I think that the number of goals conceded from giving away possession from goal kicks ultimately outweighs the number of goals conceded from trying to play out. The difference is that if you give the ball away at the edge of your box and concede, the viewer's mind makes an easy connection because the effect is instant.

But if you hoof it long, lose it, and concede 30 seconds later, the viewer will probably forget how the ball was lost. So they won't see any connection - or they might find some missed header or interception which they will blame instead.

Of course, there are extreme circumstances where teams set up extremely well to win long balls and don't pay much attention to the technical quality of their defenders - like Burnley. For them it probably is always worth going long, but only because they've built a whole team around being really good at it.

I’d say there’s a lot to blame other than a long ball if it’s 30 seconds later though. That Brighton goal was fortunate control by the midfielder and Palace seemed to have pushed to far up in defence to let Maupay through on goal. I totally get what you’re saying, but not every team is capable of playing from the back and it’s embarrassing watching some of them try.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton - Monday 27th September, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived