talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben Turner Becomes 2nd Player Banned For Racial Abuse This Season

Burton Albion's Ben Turner has lost his appeal against a Football Association racial abuse charge and will miss the first five games of next season.

Turner was charged after an incident involving Brentford's Nico Yennaris in the Championship match in December.

An independent panel found the 29-year-old defender guilty as his language "included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or nationality".

Tuner will have to attend an education course and pay an £8,000 fine.

He had "strongly denied" the charge and the club were "extremely disappointed" by the commission's original decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40299933

Does anyone know what he said?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Didn't think Turner was that sort of person. Very disappointing.

He denied but couldn't give evidence as to what he actually said. Scott Hogan was stood next to him and walked towards the ref and reported it the moment the game ended, Hogan's evidence is what done it.

'Korean cunt' is hardly an ethnic slur especially if the person in question happens to be both Korean and a cunt. 'Gook cunt' or 'Zipperhead cunt' would be far, far worse. I can see why the ban is taking place, and I don't really have any qualms with it but I think it's silly to place a 'racial' motivation onto it when it was just a very plain insult. Would it be any worse than 'Aussie cunt', 'Cockney cunt', or 'French cunt'? I think the whooe 'race' thing is accused because the two are different races, I don't think anyone would label it as a racial issue if it was against a 'Spanish cunt' (remember Spaniards and the English are different ethnicities!)

2 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

I wonder if he actually said it or whether the Football League/FA took someone else's word for it...

He was found guilty because none of the evidence from the player or his teammates undermined Scott Hogan's evidence. The abuse happened in the final two minutes of a match after a bad challenge from Yennaris, Hogan reported him to the match official as soon as it ended. 

Turner had been calling him a dirty cunt and a dirty little pussy, Yennaris stated that he'd heard the words "Korean cunt".

Turner had 6 players testify they never heard him racially abuse Yennaris but they'd also admitted they were out of earshot and couldn't of heard what he'd said.

Turner denied saying it but also didn't know what he was saying

Hogan heard him say "that Korean cunt", told him he can't say stuff like that and then reported it to the match official straight after. Without speaking to Yennaris as well.

Footage of the incident shows Turner pointing towards Yennaris at the time.

There is a full transcript available but I can't find it on my phone.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

'Korean cunt' is hardly an ethnic slur especially if the person in question happens to be both Korean and a cunt. 'Gook cunt' or 'Zipperhead cunt' would be far, far worse. I can see why the ban is taking place, and I don't really have any qualms with it but I think it's silly to place a 'racial' motivation onto it when it was just a very plain insult. Would it be any worse than 'Aussie cunt', 'Cockney cunt', or 'French cunt'? I think the whooe 'race' thing is accused because the two are different races, I don't think anyone would label it as a racial issue if it was against a 'Spanish cunt' (remember Spaniards and the English are different ethnicities!)

Problem is he's not Korean. It was a completely unnessecary comment.

Yeah, that he is not actually Korean makes it undoubtly a reference to his appearance in race terms and nothing to do with nationality.

His dad is a Greek-Cypriot, his mother is Chinese and he is born and bred English.

Archived