talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Round 24 - Thursday 10th February, 2022

football forums

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, shut up said:

Don't talk wet. He took us out of the top four and is the primary reason for the mess we're currently in. He totally mismanaged the squad and left us with shit players on massive wages. We'd not even be in the top 10 if Wenger was still here. He left us in a right mess.

It's a bad do when i understand your club better than you do.

Ron Simmons Reaction GIF by ALLSXXING

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, shut up said:

Wenger's last 11 signings

Mkhitaryan, Xhaka, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Holding, Perez, Elneny, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Santos & Mavrapanos

Aye, you've got a real good understanding. 

What does that prove exactly?

He never got the chance as even before he was pushed out there was a negative atmosphere at every game which obviously isn't going to impact those players well. Imagine booing a manager who has had you in the top 4 for 2 decades and won multiple trophies. Whilst also on a budget for a large remainder of his last decade whilst paying a stadium off. A stadium you could question you wouldn't even have if it wasn't for the foundations he laid.

The mans a legend.

12 minutes ago, shut up said:

We'd not even be in the top 10 if Wenger was still here. 

Ludicrous. 

However, i do think Arteta will come good and i do rate him.

• Subscriber
Just now, shut up said:

We finished 12 points off top 4 in Wenger's last season. We only finished 6 points off top 4 last season

Did you vanish in Thanos' blip? I could have sworn you're missing a few seasons there. 

• Subscriber
Just now, shut up said:

Season after wenger left we finished only 1 point off top four. 11 point gain.

Emery improved us...

Bestoball ok.

I actually like Arsenal as a neutral and always have. You will improve if Arteta is given time, he has a clear philosophy and clearly a talented man. 

I have a friend who supports Arsenal and was one of those pleading for Wenger to go, i just really do not understand it and never will. If you would have been bottom half then maybe... i know you said you would have been there, however hypothetical scenarios are invalid. The reality is those of you who pushed the man out are spoilt ungrateful fans ;)

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, shut up said:

Points off top 4

Wenger 2017/18 - 12 points 

Emery 2018/19 - 1 point 

Emery/Arteta 2019/20 - 9 points 

Arteta 2020/21 - 6 points 

Wenger was finished, unfortunately. Totally mismanaged the squad in his last two years. 

Or... he simply left it in a better shape than you're making out? Imagine if the fans were channeling positive energy every game instead of the ungrateful negative energy that was surrounding the club. That's at least worth 12 points :D

54 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Not saying it was incorrect but I've never seen two yellows given in one go before. Our goal could've been disallowed on another day as well. Still, much needed 3 points.

I don't think your goal should have been disallowed. I heard there was some controversy in it, with a challenge on a keeper... but the keeper never had control of the ball, Lacazette was fully within his rights to challenge for it.

But I've never seen anything like those two yellows in one go given. Personally, I think it's the wrong decision. Sending a player off for two yellows typically means the player's received a yellow as a caution so they know later in the match not to do anything that can get them booked again or they'll be sent off.

Here he's booking him for a foul where he let the play go on... and then for a second foul. But he's giving that first yellow, the warning yellow, seconds before giving out the second one. That means there's no warning! And I suppose the counterpoint would be: well it's two bookable offenses Gonzo. Yeah, I suppose. But it just doesn't seem right that the referee doesn't actually give him a warning at all before that second card. Isn't that the bloody purpose of a yellow?

I used to think Michael Oliver was one of the more "common sense" refs in the country, and I'm not saying he's wrong here... but I think the referees need better guidance here because giving a player 2 yellows in one go seems to defeat the purpose of giving out a yellow card in the first place, to me.

• Subscriber

Sooner this season is over the better. I'd say I pin it all on the conference league but I've seen nothing to suggest that won't be further depression.

If he really thinks tonight was anything other than just a bit crap then he's really losing it. I get he wanted to make a statement or whatnot with some of the players (which is fair enough) but I did see that line up and think that's a manager who has hit the phase of just throwing shit everywhere hoping some of it sticks.

And unsurprisingly, it didn't. 2-0 and could've easily been more.

Over a year since an away clean sheet in the league.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dan said:

If he really thinks tonight was anything other than just a bit crap then he's really losing it. I get he wanted to make a statement or whatnot with some of the players (which is fair enough) but I did see that line up and think that's a manager who has hit the phase of just throwing shit everywhere hoping some of it sticks

He couldn't win with the selection then? Either he drops the players after their performances and his comments after Sunday, or sticks with them and shows the comments on Sunday were worthless? 

I don't think this was throwing shit etc. I wasn't pleased with the general performance and lack of intent but I didn't mind his selection before kick off. 

• The topic was unpinned
5 hours ago, Stan said:

He couldn't win with the selection then? Either he drops the players after their performances and his comments after Sunday, or sticks with them and shows the comments on Sunday were worthless? 

I don't think this was throwing shit etc. I wasn't pleased with the general performance and lack of intent but I didn't mind his selection before kick off. 

I watched the first half, you had a few good moments. From what I seen, was it me or was Maddisons decision making really poor? 

• Subscriber

There's no obvious solution in a game like that, it was just a continuation of what's happened all season, the problem is now we're not even looking good going forward either.

Expected a heavy loss, was just a comfortable one but that was solely on the goalkeeper. Do think we looked slightly less calamitous at the back without Soyuncu though and I'd probably stick with those centre halves Sunday.

12 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I think Oliver is spot on there. Both clearly yellow card offences and the player surely knows that as well. I'd like to see more of referees having the balls to show two yellows in situations like that.

Was speaking to an arsenal fan at work today. I actually missed the red card but saw it after. The referee played the advantage so that's why play wasn't stopped. As you said both were yellow card offences so the right decision by the laws of the game 

Archived