The better place to talk football.

Top 10 Countries to visit

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Dortmund is not really a major area, or a very interesting city. :ph34r:

I visited Bremen, would you classify that as the same?  I mainly went for the Weserstadion and did a tour in German ha ha.

10 hours ago, nudge said:

It's been my lifelong dream to do a couple of long trips spanning multiple countries, namely the Silk Road (focusing on Central Asia as mentioned in my list above), the Transsiberian Express, the Mekong river. Also, I have recently discovered an itinerary of the longest possible train journey from Portugal to Singapore, and am very eager to do it one day. Doing the original Around the World in 80 Days route would be pretty cool, too :D 

Transsiberian express would be on my list. I want to take more train journeys, there's a couple in Australia I would love to do. One running from Darwin to Adelaide or vice versa, straight through the Outback and near Uluru. However, it is insanely expensive. It is called the Ghan and most prices look to be around $4000 for 6 days....

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Toinho said:

Transsiberian express would be on my list. I want to take more train journeys, there's a couple in Australia I would love to do. One running from Darwin to Adelaide or vice versa, straight through the Outback and near Uluru. However, it is insanely expensive. It is called the Ghan and most prices look to be around $4000 for 6 days....

I haven't heard about it before, looks great! But yeah, the price... absolutely mental. You can go from Moscow to Beijing through multiple countries on the Transsiberian or take numerous trains from Portugal to Singapore for 1000-1500€ 😅 I realise it's supposed to be a luxury trip with everything included, but 4000 for a 5 day train journey is just crazy. 

5 hours ago, nudge said:

I haven't heard about it before, looks great! But yeah, the price... absolutely mental. You can go from Moscow to Beijing through multiple countries on the Transsiberian or take numerous trains from Portugal to Singapore for 1000-1500€ 😅 I realise it's supposed to be a luxury trip with everything included, but 4000 for a 5 day train journey is just crazy. 

Yeah it’s definitely a luxury trip even the cheapest option - with great facilities for a train . Unlike I gather parts of the trains you mentioned. I think there’s definitely different class levels there haha 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Yeah it’s definitely a luxury trip even the cheapest option - with great facilities for a train . Unlike I gather parts of the trains you mentioned. I think there’s definitely different class levels there haha 

Oh yeah definitely, and different purposes too. The Ghan seems like a cruise-like luxury trip, whereas the others are just means of transportation. Talking about the luxury trail journeys, have you seen the price of the new Orient Express? Now that's mental.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Oh yeah definitely, and different purposes too. The Ghan seems like a cruise-like luxury trip, whereas the others are just means of transportation. Talking about the luxury trail journeys, have you seen the price of the new Orient Express? Now that's mental.

Did not know that route was scheduled to be back on?! Well as the orient express at least. Had a quick Google and was like oh that maybe isn’t too bad and then the site said per night 😳

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Did not know that route was scheduled to be back on?! Well as the orient express at least. Had a quick Google and was like oh that maybe isn’t too bad and then the site said per night 😳

The route from Paris to Istanbul is running again, yes. Look at the prices: 

IMG_20220325_192801.jpg

And that doesn't even include drinks 😅

• Subscriber

It's always hard to pick places but here goes, in no particular order

1. Algeria - North Africa is special to me and I have always wanted to go back and spend some time with friends there
  2. Japan during Cherry Blossom Season - Making a trip to the Sumida Aquarium is on my bucket list
  3. Namibia - For the reasons Nudge mentioned, its quite the sight
  4. Pakistan - I'd really just like to visit, so many friends in school were from there and I live so close but I have never gone
  5. Malta - Ocean trip
  6. Hong Kong - This might have been better pre-theshitthere but I still want to visit
  7. Bhutan - Revisit - Words are simply not good enough
  8. Lebanon - Once again loads of friends out there and its really nice pre-summer
  9. Philippines - It has nice night life and its one of those Asian cities I want to actually visit
  10. Hawaii - Blackwater diving is something I want to do before I can't actually dive anymore

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Bhutan - Revisit - Words are simply not good enough

Tell me more! I was always extremely fascinated by Bhutan, but the fact that your freedom of movement there seems to be somewhat restricted is holding me back, especially considering the costs. Share your experience, please 😊

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Tell me more! I was always extremely fascinated by Bhutan, but the fact that your freedom of movement there seems to be somewhat restricted is holding me back, especially considering the costs. Share your experience, please 😊

Things I recommend doing in Bhutan

• Treks - Tiger's nest, Bumthang, etc you just cant go wrong its so clean
  • Don't stay in a hotel but some of the rennovated houses they really do add to the experience
  • Take a camera and spend a day on a short day trek or in a city the kinds of things you'll get to shoot are quite nice
  • Drink the local beverages and boy there is some very strong stuff out there - Uma Paro was nice.
  • Obey the law haha

If you plan to go let me know and I can try and sort some time out to go as well be nice to go back there again. Restrictions don't bother me as much as the fact that sometimes things close and you cant go. We had this happen twice when we tried to go up to Tiger's nest but eventually we got to go. Spring months are the best, followed by early summer.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Things I recommend doing in Bhutan

• Treks - Tiger's nest, Bumthang, etc you just cant go wrong its so clean
  • Don't stay in a hotel but some of the rennovated houses they really do add to the experience
  • Take a camera and spend a day on a short day trek or in a city the kinds of things you'll get to shoot are quite nice
  • Drink the local beverages and boy there is some very strong stuff out there - Uma Paro was nice.
  • Obey the law haha

If you plan to go let me know and I can try and sort some time out to go as well be nice to go back there again. Restrictions don't bother me as much as the fact that sometimes things close and you cant go. We had this happen twice when we tried to go up to Tiger's nest but eventually we got to go. Spring months are the best, followed by early summer.

Will do! Probably not this year though, but could be good for Spring 2023. What kind of budget would you plan for a week or so (roughly)?

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, nudge said:

Will do! Probably not this year though, but could be good for Spring 2023. What kind of budget would you plan for a week or so (roughly)?

I went over there with a budget of about 2 Lakh rupees but honestly you can do it comfortably under a Lakh and even save some too. I think 90K would actually not be too shabby which is roughly around a 1000 euros. Rooms aren't all that expensive and I did just a week. 

I haven't traveled much due to work and kids but I have been to Mexico and the Caribbean, and I'll be in Canada in May this year.  My top 10 would be:

Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Italy, Argentina, Australia, Sweden, Greece, UK.

I'd like to do a football stadium tour of most of these countries, but really any place that has stuff to do outdoors like hiking, biking, etc. is of interest.  Throw in some food and alchohol and I'd be set.

Archived