05/12/2020 - Burnley 1-1 Everton

Recent Form
Burnley - LLLLD
Everton - LLWLL

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Burnley have only won 3 PL games since the reverse fixture. Everton 4 times. 

Everton only won once away from home all season (PL); against Brighton back in August.

Burnley two PL home wins all season, against Spurs & Brentford. 

Such a massive game for both - a draw is not good enough for either... 

• Subscriber

A draw is better for us than it is for them. I just think a win for us puts such a big nail in their coffin, though, that we absolutely have to look at this as a chance to kill them off. As bad as we've been this season, we have enough quality to go for their throat, we just need 1 or 2 of our attackers to find some form and confidence. We're not out of it if we get the three points, but you'd have to think between it putting a big enough gap between us and the bottom three, and giving us the confidence boost ahead of the run-in, it's a lot harder to see us dropping if we can pull it off.

We are missing a lot of players though. Patterson was finally supposed to start against West Ham after an impressive international spell for Scotland but turned his ankle the day before and apparently it could be a bad one, so Kenny probably starts at right back. With Keane suspended and Mina injured it has to be Godfrey and Holgate in central defence. I hope he persists with Mykolenko as having an actual left-footer to overlap against West Ham was massive, instead of having Kenny or Coleman on the wrong side. Midfield is a problem with Allan suspended, Van de Beek possibly injured from Sunday's warm-up, Davies out for the season, Gbamin out on loan in Russia. Delph might be back I suppose. If he's actually fit, it might not be the worst game for him. Alli obviously isn't going to play in that deeper role. I hope Iwobi keeps his place and Gordon starts instead of Gray. I don't know if Lampard would consider dropping Richarlison or Calvert-Lewin but I would stick with them. Richarlison is wasted as a lone striker in this time so I hope he comes in from the left and that leaves the easy choice of Calvert-Lewin or Rondon leading the line.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Loser goes down ey 

Think even if we lose here I'd put it at 50/50.

Delph doesn't make the start tonight so Holgate called upon for midfield duty again and Branthwaite starts alongside Godfrey as a result. Gordon in for Gray and Iwobi keeps his place as I'd hoped.

Be nice if Calvert-Lewin could do something tonight, or in fact just at any point before the end of the season.

Archived