talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

John Moss & Martin Atkinson Retiring at End of the Season

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/04/28/premier-league-referees-martin-atkinson-jonathan-moss-will-retire/

The two experienced Premier League referees Martin Atkinson and Jonathan Moss will retire at the end of this season, the country’s top referees have been told by their boss Mike Riley today.

The pair have both taken jobs with the Premier League next season, working for Riley at the Professional Game Match Officials organisation, but there is no role for Mike Dean. The longest serving of all the referees, who will also finish at the end of the season is also to retire, as Telegraph Sport first reported, will not have a role at PGMOL. It is likely that he will be courted by television, with punditry and reality shows interested.

Moss will be the new manager of the "select group one" referees who take charge of Premier League matches while Atkinson will be the group's coach.

It is part of a major shift in refereeing in the English game as a generation of long-serving officials past 50 and move towards retirement leaving the authorities concerned about the quality of officials coming through. Dean has refereed more than 550 Premier League matches and takes with him a wealth of experience. Marriner and Moss were also trusted with big games. Of those also in the select group, Andre Marriner, Kevin Friend and Graham Scott are also all over the age of 50.

The Premier League is planning huge changes to the way in which referees are developed and fast-tracked into the elite with the advent of the “elite referee development plan” which will speed up the process of able referees and assistants reaching the top. Currently the Football Association recommends referees to move up into the Football League and ultimately the Premier League. The Premier League wants all three organisations to agree to a new structure that produces the highest possible quality officials in the future.

They'll still be around the PGMOL fucking things up with their incompetence there... but hey, no more watching John Moss break a sweat in the first minute of a match as he tries to keep up with play!

Bonus info in that: Mike Dean might get his own reality show xD

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

leaving the authorities concerned about the quality of officials coming through.

I've been concerned ever since our "best referee" Graham Poll went to the World Cup and gave somebody two yellows and still didn't send them off. That was sixteen years ago and if anything the standard of refereeing has somehow got worse. 

I watch a lot of Championship football and the situation isn't going to improve any time soon. All those that want VAR scrapped will be in despair if they were forced to watch a weekend of Football League officiating.

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I've been concerned ever since our "best referee" Graham Poll went to the World Cup and gave somebody two yellows and still didn't send them off. That was sixteen years ago and if anything the standard of refereeing has somehow got worse. 

Thanks, you've made me feel old as fuck xD

But I agree with everything that you've said. I've not watched a lot of Championship football this season, but the little I have watched... I've sort of been appalled with the officiating.

• Administrator

Jon Moss could barely keep up with the game for the past few seasons. Won't be missed at all considering he wasn't very good. 

PGMOL still needs some reformation and I can't see how these two being added will change things. 

• The title was changed to John Moss & Martin Atkinson Retiring at End of the Season
  • Subscriber

Any of the current crop retiring has to be considered good news. Their replacements can't be any worse (he says). That said, the fact the standards are so poor in general almost certainly speaks to fundamental structural issues with PGMOL and the way referees are prepared for life officiating at the highest level. It's not a coincidence or down to personal talent and skill when such a large proportion end up being poor. It's like players going to Man Utd or Everton. They can't all be as shit as they're made to look, the conditions around them simply aren't conducive to effective performance.

Archived