The better place to talk football.

Scotland vs Ukraine - WC Play-off - Wednesday 1st June, 2022

football forum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Aren't you Scottish? 

Yes, but the national team has a long history of doing completely dumb shit.

The SFA is also run by complete idiots.

9 minutes ago, Rab said:

Yes, but the national team has a long history of doing completely dumb shit.

The SFA is also run by complete idiots.

Bit weird to want your national team to loose though 

Dovbyk put through on goal and makes it 3-1 to Ukraine! The man who scored the winner against Sweden at Hampden Park last season at the Euros, scores again for Ukraine! A well deserved win for Ukraine, bring on Wales in Cardiff!!

Final score: Scotland 1-3 Ukraine

Normally I would want scotland to win but I was more neutral this time for obvious reasons. Same on Sunday 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

As you mentioned earlier, may the best team win on Sunday.

Ukraine, then? 

:ph34r:

12 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Deserved win for Ukraine. Far the better team tonight. We'll be in for a very tough game on Sunday, though did see some cause for optimism at times.

Congrats @Michael. As you mentioned earlier, may the best team win on Sunday.

I think Wales are arguably a stronger team than Scotland. Scotland probably have more depth in a 22 man squad. But if we take the best 13 or 14 players, I think Wales probably have better players. Bale and Ramsey are on their day, world class. But there are also very good players in Harry Wilson, Daniel James, Neco Williams, Brennan Johnson and Ampadu for Wales. Davies. Rodon and Mepham are also very solid defenders, while Kiefer Moore is a very reliable centre forward. Wales beat a strong Austrian side 2-1 in the play-off semi-finals in Cardiff, to get to this final against Ukraine. So I think they've more than proven their credentials.

But Ukraine looked excellent today. Yarmolenko scored a beautiful opener, with a lovely run and lob over Gordon, after an excellent pinged pass upfield by Malinovskyi. While Yaremchuk scored a lovely accurate towering header from a Karavayev cross to notch Ukraine's 2nd goal, after great passing moves in the build up from Ukraine. Dovbyk got Ukraine's 3rd goal after getting on the end of a lovely through ball by Zinchenko and finishing in a very cool and calm manner. Dovbyk seems to love scoring and being set-up by Zinchenko at Hampden Park. Dovbyk scored the winner with a headed goal from Zinchenko's cross against Sweden, in the Round of 16 of last summers European Championships played at Hampden Park. Again today he latched onto Zinchenko's through ball to score at Hampden Park.

Yarmolenko was at his usual best, forcing Gordon into 2 very good saves, as well as scoring his lovely lobbed goal. Tsygankov also forced Gordon into a very good save where he was forced to tip the ball over the bar and Tsygankov also had another chance, with a good run and shot which Gordon had to save. The sub Zubkov also had a big chance to score, but his shot was put wide of the post, when he was placed in a good position to put the ball in the net. Shaparenko looked lively when he came on, but the other sub Mudryk really stood out, with his impressive runs and passing ability. Little wonder that Mudryk will probably be joining Bayer Leverkusen this summer, as he is a real young talent. Yaremchuk lead the line superbly as usual and Dovbyk didn't do too bad in the same role as well, when he came on as a sub. Malinovskyi passed the ball around impressively, but Zinchenko was excellent in midfield, where he bossed the centre of the pitch.

Matviyenko and Zabarnyi were solid in central defence as usual, while the fullbacks Mykolenko and Karavayev looked good going forward, but were caught out a couple of times defensively. However, the only real worry for Ukraine in this match was the performance of their keeper Buschan. Although he made a couple of decent saves in the match, he made several blunders. His poor control of a back pass and his slow clearance was blocked by McGregor and although the ball bounced wide, a similar mistake on another day could result in a goal from the opposition. Buschan was also at fault when he palmed McTominay's cross shot into the path of McGinn right in front of goal, only for the Scottish midfielder to put his header wide. Moreover, Buschan was clearly at fault for Scotland's lone goal from McGregor, as he fisted Armstrong's deep cross into McGregor's path, instead of catching it. He then got weak fingers onto McGregor's resulting tame shot(which could have actually been heading over the bar, had he not touched the ball), which he really should have saved, and the ball found itself cross the line before Stepanenko's clearance. Buschan basically made 3 big blunders and he was clearly Ukraine's worst player on the night.

Buschan is capable of some excellent shot stopping, but there are games where he doesn't look commanding, which is a real worry for Ukraine. If Lunin was playing regular football for Real Madrid or on loan to another club, I am sure he'd be starting for Ukraine. I'd even favour the other young keepers Trubin and Riznyk over Buschan right now, as he looks a real liability, that Wales are bound to look to exploit.

The match in Cardiff promises to be another cracker and I will try and buy my ticket for the game first thing tomorrow morning. May the best team win.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived