talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scotland vs Ukraine - WC Play-off - Wednesday 1st June, 2022

football forum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be a real cracker of a match in Glasgow this evening. The winner will obviously head to Cardiff to face Wales. Scotland are a much improved side than the team of the last 10 years or so. They are an extremely tough side, as England found at last years Euros. Scotland are unbeaten in the last 8 games and they have won their last 4 international matches. Their most impressive result in those last 4 games, was probably their 2-0 win over Denmark in a World Cup qualifier.  

Ukraine on the other hand, are unbeaten in their last 7 internationals. Ukraine haven't had the ideal preparation for this game, given that a large chunk of their team play their club football for Ukrainian sides. As the Ukrainian league was stopped in February due to the war, a lot of the Ukrainian players have not played competitive football for months. This will place extra responsibility on the Ukrainian players who play their club football in England, Italy, Portugal, Germany and Belgium.

Scotland are an experienced side, with many of their first team players plying their trade in the Premier League. So they are used to playing at a high level of football. Scotland's midfield will probably feature McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor, a mix of experience and young talent. Liverpool's superb wing-back Andy Robertson will also play a key role in this match and Bologna's young talent, Aaron Hickey could also play a prominent role against the Ukrainians. Up front, Christie, Adams and Dykes should all feature at some point in the match. While at the back, Cooper's great ability in the air, will be key to stopping the aerial prowess of Ukraine's Yaremchuk.

For Ukraine, Buschan will start in goal ahead of Real Madrid's Lunin. In defence, the usual partnership of Matviyenko and Zabarnyi should continue. With Karavayev and Mykolenko as the full-backs. Stepanenko will be the defensive midfield ball winner, with Zinchenko and Malinovskyi playing in the attacking and creative midfield roles in front of him. West Ham's Yarmolenko will play as a right winger, while Dynamo Kyiv's talented Tsygankov will play on the left wing. Up front, Benfica's Yaremchuk will of course lead the line as the centre forward.

Scotland have a talented side and they will be helped greatly by their impressive home support. The Tartan Army always boost the Scottish national team when they play at Hampden Park. Scotland play very well as a team, but Ukraine have some very talented players and I think that Ukraine could just nick this one. Against most other opposition, I'd be supporting Scotland, I've always had a soft spot for them. But as Ukraine are playing, I'm going to be backing them to win. The Ukrainian players will have a lot to prove with the ongoing war in their home country. So they are likely to play with a lot of passion this evening. May the best team win.

Well, I think it's safe to say that Ukraine played much better than Scotland in that 1st half. Yarmolenko's goal was coming, after Ukraine had 2 or 3 earlier dangerous chances. Ukraine are pretty much dictating most of the play, although Scotland have looked threatening at times, mainly down the left flank. But Ukraine will be delighted by that 1st half performance, where they really could have scored more than one goal.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived