talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Uwe Seeler has passed away

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beloved "Uns Uwe" was not only the only player elected in the inaugural German football Hall of fame team, who didn't win an International title; but also one of only three honorary captains of the German NT. Also he was always mentioned, whenever somebody talked about one club players, or extraordinary fair players, or players that kept grounded regardless of their popularity. An absolute legend has passed away. RIP:(

Bundesliga Quiz Special Edition:

Which player (who never played for MSV Duisburg) is responsible for the chorus of the Zebratwist, the song that is beeing played after every MSV goal since 1964?

The answer is probably not that hard, considering the thread we are in. But the first lines of the chorus (Wo Meiderich liegt, wo Meiderich siegt, ist überall bekannt)  go back to the story that Uwe Seeler is said to have asked where Meiderich is located before the start of the first season of Bundesliga history in 1963/1964. The Hamburg game in Duisburg ended 4-0 in favour of MSV, who sensationally finished runners-up that season with a team that came almost exclusively from the Meiderich district.

For me, Uwe Seeler is the epitome of a football legend. Great personality,  down-to-earth, and he always made himself available for any MSV interviews whenever that story was brought up once again. That made me really sad earlier when I read it. Uns Uwe will be missed. RIP!

Very sad news, Uwe Seeler was a footballing legend for both Germany and Hamburg. I remember as a kid, watching the old highlights and footages of him playing for West Germany at the 1958, 1962, 1966 and 1970 World Cups. His performance at the 1966 World Cup final is the one that I remember the most, as I used to watch the highlights of that game time and again. It's just so sad to hear of his passing. 

RIP Uwe Seeler

Archived