talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The new deal for football

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/11/08/premier-league-clubs-agree-radical-new-deal-football-proposals/

I am happy for a better and more equitable distribution of wealth across the leagues,  the principal is sound on paper but it will only be effective if the suggestions in this new collective agreement is carried out,  namely caps on maximum transfer fees and wage caps,  should it be done properly it would mean good players could be afforded by teams lower down the table,  which increases the quality of the league and competition.

No surprises which clubs were not in agreement and I am sure they were hoping that Newcastle would join them in refuting better revenue sharing.    

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
35 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/11/08/premier-league-clubs-agree-radical-new-deal-football-proposals/

I am happy for a better and more equitable distribution of wealth across the leagues,  the principal is sound on paper but it will only be effective if the suggestions in this new collective agreement is carried out,  namely caps on maximum transfer fees and wage caps,  should it be done properly it would mean good players could be afforded by teams lower down the table,  which increases the quality of the league and competition.

No surprises which clubs were not in agreement and I am sure they were hoping that Newcastle would join them in refuting better revenue sharing.    

I saw this buried in the article:

The top tier is also understood to have reached the conclusion that qualifiers for European competition may no longer have room in the calendar to compete in the EFL Cup.

Personally, I think that would make the league cup more interesting.  If you're in Europe, you can't compete in the league cup.  Let the remaining 13-14 EPL clubs and the rest of the EFL fight it out for league cup honors.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Coma said:

The top tier is also understood to have reached the conclusion that qualifiers for European competition may no longer have room in the calendar to compete in the EFL Cup.

Personally, I think that would make the league cup more interesting.  If you're in Europe, you can't compete in the league cup.  Let the remaining 13-14 EPL clubs and the rest of the EFL fight it out for league cup honors.

Agreed. I think it's been debated for a while that this is the case. 

I don't like teams that devalue it by not taking it seriously, including my own club. But these days the priorities lie where the money is, and the EFL Cup in comparison to the other 3 competitions clubs may be in, is small-fry. 

1 hour ago, Coma said:

Agreed, I think it's a good thing for both the league cup and for the players at clubs in Europe. Stops clubs that aren't going to give a shit about the tournament because they're chasing the cash from devaluing the whole thing too much (although clubs that can't get passed managers trying to bomb out by playing kids don't really make a great case for valuing the competition either xD) - and it also cuts down on fixture congestion for some of these players, given how UEFA and FIFA are intent on adding more and more games to a season.

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

New Super League proposal incoming...

I think it's inevitable. Although part of me also thinks that FSG want out because the atmosphere in England makes it unlikely English clubs ever go for a Super League concept again.

the super league is a terrible idea, far worse than Boehlys all star game idea that would destroy football in Europe.

I would like to see greater restrictions and regulations on financial spending as well as a return of a foreigner rule limiting a team to say 7 foreigners but only 5 allowed on match day squad, adoption of a mandatory home grown u21 rule that forces clubs to have at least 1 in the 5 subs and must play at least 20 minutes.  I would also have a maximum limit on players over 30, high risk players to 5 per 26 man squad it will force teams to keep turning over squads before they age and regress

stricter salary caps and max spending limits and depending on financial performance a certain percentage of that can go to the next season spend limit and there should be forced performance clauses in the contract which independent arbitrators can determine if players meet the targets for increases or reduction on salaries to stop free loaders.  

15 hours ago, Coma said:

I have mixed feelings about this.... On one hand it's a good idea because the top 6 clubs will always see the EFL as a distraction they need to partake in regardless but when the bigger clubs are already fighting for a league and qualification for Europe and then you throw in then EFL & FA cups as well it puts a huge strain on the players across the season with the amount of games they play and the travelling involved across Europe etc and it's something that is well down on the priority list... It's also great for other teams to have a decent chance of winning something each season.

On the other hand not having the likes of Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal etc in it would detract from the financial gains of the lower league clubs who get that big payday draw.. Some clubs are happy to have that extra financial injection even if they don't think they will get any further in the competition.. 

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Some clubs are happy to have that extra financial injection even if they don't think they will get any further in the competition.. 

This is a point that I hadn't considered.  Still, I feel the benefits of "winning a cup" are there to be had for a larger pool of clubs and as a fan I'd want to see my club try to win something.  But I was also in favor of the big 6 fucking off to their own league, too, so maybe I'm biased 😆.

Archived