talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Foreign national team managers

football forum

So how do you feel about having a foreign manager manage your national team?

Personally I would prefer to have an English manager. I know that the players are trained hy foreign coaches quite often at their clubs. But I personally prefer it to be an English coach for the England job. However I'd maybe rather win something with a foreign manager than win nothing with an English manager. 

When England did it before though they went for old managers. If they did it again they would have to go for someone who understands modern football. Knowing the fa they would probably get Mourinho 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be weird as Germany never had a foreign manager before. But as mentioned above, if he's good at the job, it shouldn't matter where he's from. I remember when they were talks about Arsene Wenger taking over Germany, years ago. That would have been something. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't particularly give a shit where a manager is from as long as they're good at their job.

Pretty much this. If they're successful, they're good for it.

The most crucial thing is the individual needs to want to do the job. And have apparent talents to do it.

Sarina Weigman took over England women's team. Won a home tournament. After several nearly but not quite tournaments.

Before Southgate, the best era (not 1 off tournament) I'd seen was Sven.

There have been some true horror English managers since then.

Personally I don't want to see England managed by an angsty dude with a Ronaldo type vibe to him. We win with respect. We lose with dignity. So Tuchel is a thanks, but no thanks for me. Gary Neville should never be allowed within a 5 mile radius of any England squad in any coaching capacity.

Klopp? Poch? Perhaps. If they were genuinely interested, I'd consider them.

Gerrard & Lampard? Again, perhaps. National teams are very different to clubs. But if it's Gerrard, goodness knows where the armband would go to & which players would be sidelined.

Graham Potter or Eddie Howe are perhaps the true stand-out English coach options right now.

The England manager should be English.

The only reason this idiotic debate has exploded is due to the hypocritical buffoon Richard Keys, who has spent the last several years attacking any club outside the Top 6 for daring to appoint a non British manager, screaming about the death of the game and British coaching, no opportunities anymore, young English lads done out of their birthright and them over there coming over here not understanding our game and taking our jobs.

Now his mate Wenger, who has reinvented himself as Infantino's lick-spittle and Qatari boot licker much to RK's approval, may be interested in the job, Keys is now laughably calling anyone who would rule Wenger out "racist". It's laughable.

Carragher is right. The England players are English. The manager should be English.

This is international football.

Archived