The better place to talk football.

F1 2023 - Baku GP - 28-30th April

football forums

• The title was changed to F1 2023 - Baku GP - 28-30th April
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The new sprint qualifying format seems a bit meh. I was all for the talk of a one-shot qualifying session but they've just gone for a shortened version of regular qualifying which seems to throw up minimal chance of the result being any different to regular qualifying. Also with the sprint result no longer setting the starting grid for the Grand Prix it makes the sprint completely pointless for any teams who aren't going to challenge for the top 8 positions. Like there's no point in Albon or Tsunoda fighting to finish 14th instead of 17th because it's not going to give them a better starting position or any championship points so why risk breaking your car with a botched overtake?

Oh well, I'm sure they'll play with the viewing figures after this weekend to make out that everyone loved it and it was a success. 

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The new sprint qualifying format seems a bit meh. I was all for the talk of a one-shot qualifying session but they've just gone for a shortened version of regular qualifying which seems to throw up minimal chance of the result being any different to regular qualifying. Also with the sprint result no longer setting the starting grid for the Grand Prix it makes the sprint completely pointless for any teams who aren't going to challenge for the top 8 positions. Like there's no point in Albon or Tsunoda fighting to finish 14th instead of 17th because it's not going to give them a better starting position or any championship points so why risk breaking your car with a botched overtake?

Oh well, I'm sure they'll play with the viewing figures after this weekend to make out that everyone loved it and it was a success. 

Sprint has no bearing on the race? Never knew this when was this decided?

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Thought we kept the race chatting on discord? 

I'm not using it any more. But if so, might as well delete this section of the forum...? 

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Not convinced with Baku being a sprint race. Other than the main straight it’s hard to overtake, and hopefully we don’t see most of it behind the SC.

As I said….

Boring sprint and boring race. 

• Subscriber

This is one of the better circuits usually as well. They've made a real hash of the sport to be honest. Dominant seasons by one team happen regularly in F1 but if the first few races of this year are anything to go off, it's never been more boring in the modern era in my opinion. The massive fuel tanks make it too hard to overtake, the lack of refuelling and tyre options deny any variation in strategy, DRS takes away any jeopardy for the fastest teams because if anything actually dares to happen in a Grand Prix and disrupts the order, everything gets reset to the fastest cars at the front with no trouble because they don't even have to battle to get past. Zzzzz.

21 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This is one of the better circuits usually as well. They've made a real hash of the sport to be honest. Dominant seasons by one team happen regularly in F1 but if the first few races of this year are anything to go off, it's never been more boring in the modern era in my opinion. The massive fuel tanks make it too hard to overtake, the lack of refuelling and tyre options deny any variation in strategy, DRS takes away any jeopardy for the fastest teams because if anything actually dares to happen in a Grand Prix and disrupts the order, everything gets reset to the fastest cars at the front with no trouble because they don't even have to battle to get past. Zzzzz.

The cars for me are too fucking big.

Archived