talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Gameweek 35 Fixtures - 6-8th May, 2023

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

It was partially down to our good performance but it amazed me last night how easy to beat Brighton's defence were. Dwight McNeil is no Usain Bolt. Iwobi, Doucoure and Calvert-Lewin are reasonably fast but there are much faster attackers in the league. Every time we went forward, our players just carried the ball past them as if they weren't there. None of their midfielders were capable of tracking Doucoure's runs on the break.

I know they had an off-night, but it reminded me of us playing an idiotic high line with Michael Keane and Ashley Williams as our centre half pairing with Andre Gomes and Allan "shielding the defence". Mad how easy they were to score against given their league position.

Brighton should never have took Caicedo out of defensive midfield. They plugged him in at RB to fill in and he was badly missed there.

But it wasn't just that in fairness. They were so flat first half across the board whilst you were the total opposite.

What I think the last two games show is that having Calvert-Lewin up top has been massive for you and where he was up to that point and why it took so long to get back is a bit of a mystery, but his workrate, and effort has allowed you to pressure defences more.

The last two games in particular are as dangerous as I've seen you look all season.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I think Gurinder was making light on hard times but fair play for some good ol banter.

"I am proper elite, I am Gurinder"  

No she is genuinely just that dense. I'm not playing that as I'm already annoyed enough without having to listen to more of her low IQ drivel but I know what sort of cloth it'll be cut from.

The problem is I think the club themselves have this sort of mentality. We truly do think we're too good to go down. We should've been, but you don't 'actually' go with that as a mantra.

I honestly think it would be a complete and utter travesty if we somehow survive. I can only suspect match fixing if we do.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

What I think the last two games show is that having Calvert-Lewin up top has been massive for you and where he was up to that point and why it took so long to get back is a bit of a mystery, but his workrate, and effort has allowed you to pressure defences more.

Well it's slowly leaked out that Benitez and Lampard both persistently asked too much of Calvert-Lewin and had him playing through his original injury before he was ready, both because they were desperate to beat relegation and keep their jobs.

Dyche has taken the opposite approach, Calvert-Lewin played in the Arsenal win in his first game for the club, came off as a precaution, then felt pain in his hamstring. Dyche made it a non-negotiable that he doesn't play again until he's ready. We had to suffer through months of Maupay and Simms alternating as the lone striker, sometimes even Gray because the other two were so pitiful. It incited a lot of frustration from Everton fans when Calvert-Lewin had been training for almost two weeks before he came back into the team at Crystal Palace, but given that he's played almost the full 90 minutes for four games in a row now, performing particularly well at Leicester and Brighton, it looks like it was the right call to wait until they were 110% sure this time. 

Basic mismanagement from Benitez and Lampard in the first place though. And a travesty from the club that any of our recent managers have been forced into that dilemma because the best alternatives they've been offered in the meantime have been Rondon, Maupay and Simms.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

No she is genuinely just that dense. I'm not playing that as I'm already annoyed enough without having to listen to more of her low IQ drivel but I know what sort of cloth it'll be cut from.

The problem is I think the club themselves have this sort of mentality. We truly do think we're too good to go down. We should've been, but you don't 'actually' go with that as a mantra.

I honestly think it would be a complete and utter travesty if we somehow survive. I can only suspect match fixing if we do.

I know your frustrations, it's a cruel league and at the end three leave.  As fans you go in as long as you are not in the three it's a start.  Relegation battles are emotionally taxing on fans

16 hours ago, Devil said:

Relegation and top 4 battles are both mental.

United in free fall, Newcastle stumbling. Brighton hopes gone.

And the maddest relegation battle ever. Southampton gone but the rest are all still in it regardless of todsys results.

is losing a game we actually statistically competed against Arsenal really a stumble when we have won 8 of 10 games?

sure arsenal was frustrating as Ramsdale and the post were unbeatable but we are not looking inept.   Man United look most vulnerable

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

is losing a game we actually statistically competed against Arsenal really a stumble when we have won 8 of 10 games?

sure arsenal was frustrating as Ramsdale and the post were unbeatable but we are not looking inept.   Man United look most vulnerable

You lost so it's a stumble regardless of the opposition.

And yes I agree we look the most vulnerable.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Well it's slowly leaked out that Benitez and Lampard both persistently asked too much of Calvert-Lewin and had him playing through his original injury before he was ready, both because they were desperate to beat relegation and keep their jobs.

Dyche has taken the opposite approach, Calvert-Lewin played in the Arsenal win in his first game for the club, came off as a precaution, then felt pain in his hamstring. Dyche made it a non-negotiable that he doesn't play again until he's ready. We had to suffer through months of Maupay and Simms alternating as the lone striker, sometimes even Gray because the other two were so pitiful. It incited a lot of frustration from Everton fans when Calvert-Lewin had been training for almost two weeks before he came back into the team at Crystal Palace, but given that he's played almost the full 90 minutes for four games in a row now, performing particularly well at Leicester and Brighton, it looks like it was the right call to wait until they were 110% sure this time. 

Basic mismanagement from Benitez and Lampard in the first place though. And a travesty from the club that any of our recent managers have been forced into that dilemma because the best alternatives they've been offered in the meantime have been Rondon, Maupay and Simms.

Really? I did not know that. My respect for Dyche was already high but for me that shows the kind of guy he is, putting players' personal health ahead of the club's. It's always been documented how well his man management is.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I know your frustrations, it's a cruel league and at the end three leave.  As fans you go in as long as you are not in the three it's a start.  Relegation battles are emotionally taxing on fans

It's been taxing but I've completely clocked out now. I'm serious as well. I was that mortified by what I watched at Fulham yesterday that I have no interest in this team anymore. I don't want these parasites to avoid the humiliation. Relegation will at least speed up the process of getting them out and getting in a manager / new players that you can be proud of again.

I've come away from yesterday thinking what a mug I truly was for getting so into it all. The stresses of the Wolves, Leeds and Everton games in particular, then the nerves before yesterday, to be met with that. They're having a laugh. They aren't feeling about this the way the fans are (were).

I know mathematically it isn't over, but realistically, it is. The chances we go and beat Liverpool or Newcastle are tiny and if we beat neither then we're likely down, and this is a team that have just been shredded by a half arsed, on the beach Fulham. They're pathetic.

Smith has tried but his limitations are there for all to see. He's not got a clue. I've lost any interest in him staying beyond the summer after the last two games. Ridiculous selections and has only managed to address our chance creation - we've become even worse at the back amazingly, and I didn't think it were possible.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dan said:

I've come away from yesterday thinking what a mug I truly was for getting so into it all. The stresses of the Wolves, Leeds and Everton games in particular, then the nerves before yesterday, to be met with that. They're having a laugh. They aren't feeling about this the way the fans are (were).

For what little it's worth, I felt exactly the same as this after we lost at home to Fulham, drew at Palace then totally capitulated at home to Newcastle. 

Admittedly, Leicester don't really have much time to turn it around and don't have favourable fixtures but nor did Everton going to Leicester and Brighton. These things can change in a heartbeat.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

For what little it's worth, I felt exactly the same as this after we lost at home to Fulham, drew at Palace then totally capitulated at home to Newcastle. 

Admittedly, Leicester don't really have much time to turn it around and don't have favourable fixtures but nor did Everton going to Leicester and Brighton. These things can change in a heartbeat.

These last three were our opportunity. Everton, as bad as you are, have demonstrated previous for turning up when you needed it most - see the win away to us and over Palace last season.

This team has choked towards the end every time we've needed results. This will be no different. We've got to probably win two games after yesterdays results and that will mean beating Newcastle or Liverpool. For some context I think we've avoided defeat when facing top half sides three times all season. We're hopeless. I just want it over now.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived