talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

football forum

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

See, if it wasn't for Megan Rapinoe, we wouldn't even have that discussion right now. So she certainly did a lot of things right. 

And those who wrote these initial insulting posts about her, never really justified why they feel that way. 

I did say that sports should be a form of escapism from everyday life and not a platform for social, political or religious opinion.   

The problem with Rapinoe and others on that team is that they are more interested in making political and social statements than winning football games.    This US team were probably the most talented  team at the World Cup , yet they went out very early.  Part of the reason was because they didnt focus entirely on football, they spend too much energy on things off the pitch.  Even in defeat in her post game interview Rapinoe's emphasis is how they changed society rather than football.  

49 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I did say that sports should be a form of escapism from everyday life and not a platform for social, political or religious opinion.   

The problem with Rapinoe and others on that team is that they are more interested in making political and social statements than winning football games.    This US team were probably the most talented  team at the World Cup , yet they went out very early.  Part of the reason was because they didnt focus entirely on football, they spend too much energy on things off the pitch.  Even in defeat in her post game interview Rapinoe's emphasis is how they changed society rather than football.  

If it is escapism, where is the escapism for the men that have to hide their sexuality because football isn’t ready to accept them for who they are? Where is the escapism for the players that suffer through racial abuse from fans? You say that sports isn’t the place for this but some people’s lives can’t be separated from politics, religion or social problems. The Iranian national team have to suffer exactly through this during the World Cup as @Dr. Gonzo explained. Marcus Rashford has used football to support children his country won’t, children can’t escape being hungry watching football.

Probably because society is more important than winning games, 

• Upvote 4

I don't like rapinoe but I have no issues at all with her campaigning for better pay. The men's team are a 25th seeded team that are shit to watch. The women's team are the first seed and world leaders in the sport and hugely important in popularising women's football around the world. 

Right now if I could vote for a revenue share between the Socceroos and the Matilda's I would go beyond equal pay, because the Matilda's are undisputedly the most marketable national team in Australian sport right now of any code or gender...

But do we really want a scale that says "hey team X you're a bit shit at the moment relative to the other team so we're cutting your pay"? For me, no. So equal pay seems fair.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

If it is escapism, where is the escapism for the men that have to hide their sexuality because football isn’t ready to accept them for who they are? Where is the escapism for the players that suffer through racial abuse from fans? You say that sports isn’t the place for this but some people’s lives can’t be separated from politics, religion or social problems. The Iranian national team have to suffer exactly through this during the World Cup as @Dr. Gonzo explained. Marcus Rashford has used football to support children his country won’t, children can’t escape being hungry watching football.

Probably because society is more important than winning games, 

I'm sympathetic to this argument, but I do think sport is one thing that can help unite a divided society, and the value of that should not be taken lightly....

6 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

are more interested in making political and social statements than winning football games.  

That is such bullshit. Just because they have interests outside of football doesn't mean they can't focus on the game. 

Just like people blaming Germany's men's team World Cup exit on the rainbow coloured captain's armband. xD

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Holy moly, Nigeria with a very courageous start vs. England. Had plenty of chances to score the 1-0 already and even hit the crossbar. 

That shot deserved a goal, beat Earps all ends up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

wtf? There's a clear enough barge in the back there for me. 

Maybe it looked like it was Daly's only intention. I was a bit surprised as well, but I'm rooting for Nigeria so I'll take it. :ph34r:

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Maybe it looked like it was Daly's only intention

How do you mean? She's not to know the defender is going to barge her in the back like that. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

That's just stupid from James. Absolutely no need to do that. 

That was really silly. But it shows the frustration. They probably didn't expect Nigeria to make life that difficult for them. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

How do you mean? She's not to know the defender is going to barge her in the back like that. 

Yea, I don't know how to be honest. I'll just take it. :ph34r:xD

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Nigeria played better when England had 11 players on the pitch. xD

I think they're all just absolutely shattered xD 

Think Bronze was lucky to get away with not conceding a penalty early in extra time. Looked to be more force and more impeding than the Daly incident for England. 

• The topic was unpinned