• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Micky van de Ven Completes Move to Spurs

• The title was changed to Micky van de Ven - Spurs Open Talks
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Micky van de Ven Completes Move to Spurs
3 hours ago, Storts said:

Done deal. Got our LCB

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2023/august/van-de-ven-arrives-from-vfl-wolfsburg/

Any of the Germans or Dutch on here able to give us a scouting report?

He is known for his physical ability and his composure. Micky van de Ven is clearly a very good defender, but a lot of the hype I think is due to the fact that at 22, he has a lot of potential that many people in the game, see in him. However, from my view, I have to agree with @Tommy here, Wolfsburg look to have made a great deal here.

They are getting an initial £34.5 million(40 million), which will likely go up to an extra £8.5 million(€10 million) in add ons. So Wolfsburg could eventually pocket £43 million(€50 million) from this deal. In all honesty, I don't think that van de Ven was even among the top 5 defenders in the Bundesliga last season, or even the top 10 best defenders even. Not saying that he isn't a good defender,  because he clearly is good, but I think that a lot of money was spent on him, because of the potential seen in him. He has yet to play for the Dutch national team, although he is a regular for the Under 21's, so I see this as Spurs seeing this as a long term investment. That is just my humble opinion on all of this, from what I have seen of him.

Edited by Michael

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

He is known for his physical ability and his composure. Micky van de Ven is clearly a very good defender, but a lot of the hype I think is due to the fact that at 22, he has a lot of potential that many people in the game, see in him. However, from my view, I have to agree with @Tommy here, Wolfsburg look to have made a great deal here.

They are getting an initial 34.5 million(40 million), which will likely go up to an extra £8.5 million(€10 million) in add ons. So Wolfsburg could eventually pocket £43 million(€50 million) from this deal. In all honesty, I don't think that van de Ven was even among the top 5 defenders in the Bundesliga last season, or even the top 10 best defenders even. Not saying that he isn't a good defender,  because he clearly is good, but I think that a lot of money was spent on him, because of the potential seen in him. He has yet to play for the Dutch national team, although he is a regular for the Under 21's, so I see this as Spurs seeing this as a long term investment. That is just my humble opinion on all of this, from what I have seen of him.

If he is left footed there is a long line to get into the Dutch squad.   Botman can't even get a kick of the ball. 

36 minutes ago, Tommy said:

50 Mio Euros? Wolfsburg made the deal of a lifetime lmao 

I was thinking the exact same thing, when I first heard the rumours about this deal and the potential money that Spurs were willing to pay for him. Wolfsburg are no doubt elated with the money they have received for him. Wolfsburg have made  a big profit on him, having bought him only a couple of seasons for only €3.5 million. But from Tottenham's perspective, they are clearly looking long term, with this signing, in the hope that van de Ven gets even better. 

Apparently Spurs also want Tapsoba, with Leverkusen demanding £50 million for Tapsoba. Quite frankly, I think Tapsoba is probably worth around that money in today's transfer market. Tapsoba has now proven himself to be a top quality defender for a number of seasons now and he is still only 24 years old. Leverkusen even spent a respectable fee of €21 million on a very young Tapsoba when they bought him more than 3 years ago. So if Spurs do buy Tapsoba, they could have a defensive pairing of two quality young defenders in Tapsoba and van de Ven, that would probably sort their defence out for years to come. 

11 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

If he is left footed there is a long line to get into the Dutch squad.   Botman can't even get a kick of the ball. 

Well yeah, I mean with van de Ven, I think he could very well become one of the best defenders in the Premier League. I just don't think that he is at that level yet. I see him as currently a good defender who can hold his own in the top leagues in Europe. However, he still has a lot to improve on with his game, but time is on his side. As for Botman, I get your point, but he is currently a member of the Netherlands national team squad, van de Ven isn't. 

37 minutes ago, Storts said:

It’s nowhere near that much in reality. Think it’s £26 million, with lots of add ons. 

It is officially £34.5 million up front with likely add-ons of an extra £8.5 million. All of which would actually come to £43 million or 50 million euros.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Michael said:

It is officially £34.5 million up front with likely add-ons of an extra £8.5 million. All of which would actually come to £43 million or 50 million euros.

That’s not what people close to Spurs are saying , those numbers are inflated. But either way, that’s just the price you pay as a Premier League club these days. As you say paying for potential and a long term option for us on a 6 year deal. Although he will slot straight into the side over the next few weeks I think 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

It’s nowhere near that much in reality. Think it’s £26 million, with lots of add ons. 

"So, we'll give you £26 million now, and you get the rest when we win a title *wink wink*" 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Storts said:

That’s not what people close to Spurs are saying , those numbers are inflated. But either way, that’s just the price you pay as a Premier League club these days. As you say paying for potential and a long term option for us on a 6 year deal. Although he will slot straight into the side over the next few weeks I think 

Maybe so, but I was just quoting the official and reliable sources which gave the figures I gave. Premier League clubs have the money and selling clubs know this, that's why they get to sell their players for very big transfer fees. van de Ven has a lot of potential and the pace of the Premier League is likely to improve his game further.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

"So, we'll give you £26 million now, and you get the rest when we win a title *wink wink*" 

Hahaha, I imagine the add ons are bit more realistic than us winning something 

Been a weird position for Spurs at CB now for a while, ever since that amazing partnership of Vertonghen and Alderweireld together in their prime.

Feels like they have tried various solutions from Foyth, Dier, Sanchez, Davies, back to Dier, Rodon, Lenglet etc but have yet to really find the successor's. 

I guess you could say they have settled on Romero, he's probably shown enough good traits but they have to find a top quality partner. They concede too many goals to be where it counts at the business end of tournaments.

Don't know anything about this guy but I've felt since that golden Dutch generation side of Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Van Der Vaart etc that Dutch players tend to be a bit lauded better than they are. Take Van Der Beek, Depay, De Ligt, Babel etc just never quite seem to reach that top tier level.

Be interesting to see what this guy can do. As a CB, the PL is a very demanding league to enter. You can get beat up pretty badly and made to look a fool so hopefully he's got the characteristics and mentality to actually off Spurs some success in that position.