• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams that I'll be surprised if they didn't at least make the playoffs:

1, Leicester City

2, Leeds United

3, Middlesbrough 

4, Southampton

Teams that I think could make the playoffs but I'd be impressed if they gained promotion:

5, Sunderland

6, Coventry

7, Norwich City

8, Stoke City

9, Ipswich Town

10, Bristol City

11, Millwall

12, West Brom

13, Watford

Sides that I don't think will make the playoffs but will not go down:

14, Hull City

15, Preston North End

16, Birmingham City

17, Swansea City 

18, Blackburn Rovers

19, Huddersfield Town

20, Cardiff City

21, Plymouth Argyle

I'm confident these will be the bottom three:

22  Rotherham

23, QPR

24, Sheffield Wednesday 

I'll put my predictions up a couple days before the big kick off probably.

But as it stands right now, it definitely will not contain us in the Top Two and it will definitely have Leicester 1st.

For us, a lot is going to hinge more on who we keep, let alone who we bring in, when we can actually start doing that.

Edited by Lucas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I believe with us it's really going to hinge on what business is done. I think should we play it right and get the 6 more signings we apparently want in then we will go back up. But I can't shake this nagging feeling that we're going to leave the squad weaker than Maresca will want it and given he's another pretty dogmatic manager by all accounts that could blow up in our face.

I don't like the fact we have Coventry at home on the opening day either. They're going to be so up for that and have actually had a proper pre-season while we've basically sacrificed ours in another move of total stupidity. There is simply no worse way we could've started this season down than losing this fixture of all. But then on the flip side beating them works in the opposite way.

I think we'll be quite good but I can see us taking a bit of time to really click. I don't think it'll be an instant thing like Burnley's appeared.

8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given how kind the fixtures are to Leeds and Leicester to begin with,  I'm surprised they haven't been more swift in the transfer market.

We're about 3 weeks behind where we'd like to be due to waiting for the takeover to be cleared by the EFL. That was only done last week which meant we could start the ball rolling signing Ampadu.

But we're also a bit in limbo not knowing who will stay or go from the players we want to build the team around. It's a really difficult scenario because we want Gnonto, Sinisterra, Adams etc but if someone comes in and they want it, we've got to look at Plan B.

There's just too much change at the club in a short period to attack from the off. It's just a scenario we'll have to play out till end of August and then take it from there.

Can't see us hitting our stride till probably mid September on the pitch so we'll see where we're at then.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given how kind the fixtures are to Leeds and Leicester to begin with,  I'm surprised they haven't been more swift in the transfer market.

Seem to have hit a few stumbling blocks with transfers, and I imagine Maresca is still trying to suss out who he wants to give chances to and who he wants to offload. Problem being some players to offload are still on big PL wages so it may be putting clubs off.

Our pre-season has been a bit of a shambles, too. Only a couple of proper friendlies, a pointless trip to Thailand where a friendly with Spurs gets cancelled, then we end up playing some random team in Bangkok. Now we're going to Singapore to play Liverpool. That trip should have been canned the moment we got relegated.

The other negative now is that Coady is already injured and needs a scan on his foot. So he may miss the start of the season. 

Similar to @Lucas, it wouldn't surprise me if we actually had a bit of a rocky start before finding out feet Sept/Oct time. 

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

We're still ultimately run by the same people and board that we were last season so expecting us to make any logical sense is a mistake. 10 days until Coventry and just 4 new signings with the bulk of our goals from last season gone. Lots can change yet but I'm done getting my hopes up under this lot.

League One:

1. Derby County

2. Bolton Wanderers

The top two I believe are comfortably the best in what is a weak divison and I would be surprised if they didn't gain promotion this season.

3. Charlton Athletic

4. Portsmouth

5. Blackpool

6. Wycombe

7. Oxford United

8. Bristol Rovers

9. Leyton Orient

I think one of this batch will get the third promotion spot. They all seem to have the set ups in place to take advantage of the current situation.

10. Lincoln City

11. Northampton 

12. Peterborough 

13. Burton Albion

14. Stevenage

15. Barnsley

16. Carlisle United

Now is a long list of teams that I wouldn't be surprised to see sneak in to the playoffs in what is an open divison lacking the same quality as last season, but wouldnt have enough to gain promotion.

17. Wigan Athletic 

18. Port Vale

19. Shrewsbury Town

20. Fleetwood Town

21. Exeter

22. Cheltenham

23. Reading

24. Cambridge United

I think Wigan will be fine, and if it wasn't for there point deduction, id have them a lot higher. But I think the relegated four will come from this batch of seven teams, and I don't think these eight stand any chance of making the playoffs this season.

• Administrator

CHAMPIONSHIP

1. Leeds

2. Leicester

Play-off Winner - Southampton

22. Rotherham

23. Huddersfield

24. Sheff Weds

LEAGUE ONE

1. Bolton

2. Derby

Play-off Winner - Blackpool

21. Fleetwood

22. Burton

23. Cheltenham

24. Shrewsbury

LEAGUE TWO

1. Bradford

2. Salford

3. Wrexham

Play-off Winner - Swindon 

23. Morecambe

24. Colchester

1 minute ago, Stan said:

are Reading properly fucked?

Last I heard Sam Smith is already injured and they're not allowed to register there new signings as they've had another financial slip.

I expect a points deduction at some point this season unless Dai finds a buyer. Which is why I've put them so low.

The quality up the top of League Two is going to be absolutely ruthless this year. Any of these sides have a case to be the winners. Possibly the best it's ever been with some major budgets. A complete flip between League One and League Two over twelve months.

1, Stockport County
2, Salford United 
3, Notts County 
4, Gillingham
5, MK Dons
6, Bradford City
7, Wrexham

I think the current batch should be ok but they could nose dive if they lose there managers.

8, Mansfield
9, Doncaster Rovers
10, Grimsby Town
11, Swindon Town
12, Walsall
13, Sutton United 
14, Barrow
15, Accrington Stanley
16, Colchester United

The following teams seem to be on a downward trajectory but should be fine given the state of the other clubs.

17, Forest Green Rovers
18, AFC Wimbledon
19, Harrogate Town
20, Crewe Alexandra
21, Tranmere Rovers

The following clubs seem to be turmoil and I reckon two of them will occupy the relegation spots.

22, Newport County
23, Morecambe
24, Crawley Town

53 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'm sure we can arrange that for you.

I thought you would be certs once Lamouchi left but ive been impressed with the signings. It feels like when you're looking over your shoulder, the likes of Aaron Ramsey and Karlan Grant should have enough quality to steer you through.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I thought you would be certs once Lamouchi left but ive been impressed with the signings. It feels like when you're looking over your shoulder, the likes of Aaron Ramsey and Karlan Grant should have enough quality to steer you through.

It should be, though we're still missing that one player who can stick the ball into the net.

I'm also concerned with our defence, as we're low on numbers in the centre. After Goutas and McGuiness (likely our starting pair of we play four at the back), we then have Simpson (who I don't want anywhere close to the pitch) and that's about it. Ng can play centrally, but he tends to be used more on the right.

Ok, time to nail my colours to the mast and look like a dick in 9 months time.

CHAMPIONSHIP

1. Leicester

2. Southampton

Play-off Winner - Sunderland

22. Sheffield Wednesday

23. Rotherham

24. Plymouth

LEAGUE ONE

1. Bolton

2. Derby

Play-off Winner - Charlton

21. Fleetwood

22. Carlisle

23. Cambridge

24. Cheltenham

LEAGUE TWO

1. Stockport

2. Notts Country

3. MK Dons

Play-off Winner - Wrexham

23. Harrogate

24. Crawley

• 2 months later...
On 04/08/2023 at 01:52, Redcanuck said:

I don't think I like all you guys predicting Sheffield Wednesday to go down.  They won't finish  anywhere near the top but they won't go down, finishing around 18 to 20th.

Would you still think the same in the current climate? Bear in mind they are 9pts behind 20th already.

It would appear so far we were right to think they'd drop. Weren't particularly impressive going up, sacked the manager which only destablisied their situation, and didn't really strengthen the squad sufficiently.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Would you still think the same in the current climate? Bear in mind they are 9pts behind 20th already.

It would appear so far we were right to think they'd drop. Weren't particularly impressive going up, sacked the manager which only destablisied their situation, and didn't really strengthen the squad sufficiently.

Actually Wednesday were pretty impressive for 3 quarters of the season, I think they went 23 games, maybe more without a loss at one point last season. Parting company with Moore was a big mistake,  but he realised the gulf between Division One and the Championship is huge and wanted to strengthen the squad, but Chansiri didn't want to spend the money, 

For me the ownership is the main concern there.  Chansiri has pissed off the fan base, but they are still turning out, averaging over 26,000 at home. Chansiri said recently in an interview earlier this week he might need assistance from fans to raise £2m to cover the HMRC bill and this month's wages because of a "cashflow" problem. I think they have paid this month's bills, but who knows about next month.  If they default on the HMRC and the wages they are up the creek without a paddle, three transfer windown ban, i think, they could end up Division Two.  I believe the bulk of Chansri money was made in duty free shops and he took a real hit during covid and hopefully his cashflow problem is improving now that more people,e are flying again .  However, it is a real worry that he has said he won't put any more money in the team. 

The thing is there are 4 or 5 teams in the Championship that aren't that good and Wednesday has Brustol City and Milwall next two games so wishfully hoping for two wins and they are back in it. But it's been a disaster of a season, losing Darren Moore, the ownership situation and the disgraceful behaviour of a couple fans involving Bradley Lowery, it's going to take a remarkable turnaround to stay up.

Edited by Redcanuck