talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stuttgart loan Alexander Nübel from Bayern

I think that Stuttgart have gotten themselves a great deal here. I rate Nubel highly and the fact that Stuttgart get him ahead of other clubs was a bit of a coup for them. I am just a little surprised that the bigger German clubs didn't beat Stuttgart to Nubel's signing. But fair play to Stuttgart, they've got themselves an excellent keeper in my opinion, who should do as well as he did at Monaco.

Edited by Michael

2 hours ago, Michael said:

I think that Stuttgart have gotten themselves a great deal here. I rate Nubel highly and the fact that Stuttgart have an option to buy him is clearly great news for them. I am just a little surprised that the bigger German clubs didn't beat Stuttgart to Nubel's signing. But fair play to Stuttgart, they've got themselves an excellent keeper in my opinion, who will only get better.

To be fair, Nübel didn't exactly impress, when he played in the Buli. Nothing more than an (at best) average Buli goalkeeper, who might have the potential to be more than that, so far.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

To be fair, Nübel didn't exactly impress, when he played in the Buli. Nothing more than an (at best) average Buli goalkeeper, who might have the potential to be more than that, so far.

Did you watch his performances in the French league with Monaco over the past 2 seasons? He was very impressive, in fact last season, he made the most saves out of any goalkeeper in the whole of the French league. You can't base how good you think he currently is, on his erratic performances in the Bundesliga over 2 years ago when he was like 23 years old. He is now 26 and from watching his performances in France, he has noticeably matured and improved as a keeper. He is still young as keepers go and will no doubt improve more in the upcoming years, but he is already evidently a much more accomplished keeper than when he last played in the Bundesliga.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Michael said:

Did you watch his performances in the French league with Monaco over the past 2 seasons? He was very impressive, in fact last season, he made the most saves out of any goalkeeper in the whole of the French league. You can't base how good you think he currently is, on his erratic performances in the Bundesliga over 2 years ago when he was like 23 years old. He is now 26 and from watching his performances in France, he has noticeably matured and improved as a keeper. He is still young as keepers go and will no doubt improve more in the upcoming years, but he is already evidently a much more accomplished keeper than when he last played in the Bundesliga.

ill preface this by saying I didnt watch him at Monaco at all but the scouting reports I saw somewhat regularly and the fact that Monaco had no interest in either extending the loan nor purchasing him as well. He was fairly up and down with performances by all accounts, probably starting quality for a mid table team but not much more then that and still had the occasional blunder in him. The fact that we dont show much interest in trying to give him a chance either or the fact that there isnt much of outside interest in him to doesnt look great for him at this point. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

ill preface this by saying I didnt watch him at Monaco at all but the scouting reports I saw somewhat regularly and the fact that Monaco had no interest in either extending the loan nor purchasing him as well. He was fairly up and down with performances by all accounts, probably starting quality for a mid table team but not much more then that and still had the occasional blunder in him. The fact that we dont show much interest in trying to give him a chance either or the fact that there isnt much of outside interest in him to doesnt look great for him at this point. 

Meeting a huge club like Bayern's expectations is obviously not going to be easy. They want the finished article, an elite class keeper to start for them. Heck Bayern already have 2 world class keepers on their books in Neuer and Sommer, with Neuer said to be Tuchel's number 1 choice to start next season. Of course Nubel was not going to stay at Bayern with those 2 top keepers still at Bayern, Nubel has made it clear he wants 1st team football. Moreover, Monaco didn't have an option to buy Nubel after his 2 year loan spell there. In fact, contrary to what you claim, Monaco did make an offer to make Nubel's spell at Monaco permanent, but Nubel rejected the offer.

He had plenty of praise last season for his performances at Monaco. He made the most saves in the French league last season, some superb saves to boot, both domestically and in Europe for Monaco. Did he make a few mistakes? Yes, he did, but that's not too surprising for a 26 year old, even the best still make mistakes. Just look at the experienced 34 year old Sommer last season for Bayern, his mistakes didn't overshadow the exceptional saves he made.

You have to also take into account that Monaco are known as an attacking team, they scored the most goals in the French league last season, second only to the mighty PSG. Consequently, Nubel didn't have the best protection at the back, nonetheless he performed excellently in many matches, making vital saves. The fact he made the most saves in the league should say something to you. Additionally, the fact that Nubel started every single league match for Monaco last season and the fact he played a massive 48 competitive matches for them in all competitions, should show you how highly rated and how busy he was. Monaco are one of the best teams in France and Nubel played a key role for them over two seasons. These facts should affirm how highly rated Nubel is.

Furthermore, Bayern do not want him to leave permanently. They are only loaning him out for one season, meaning they see Nubel's long term future, still at Bayern. Heck, you have several people at Bayern saying how much they want to keep him because of how good he is and that they see him as Bayern's future number 1. I wouldn't write Nubel off just yet, especially judging by his performances at Monaco.

8 minutes ago, Michael said:

Meeting a huge club like Bayern's expectations is obviously not going to be easy. They want the finished article, an elite class keeper to start for them. Heck Bayern already have 2 world class keepers on their books in Neuer and Sommer, with Neuer said to be Tuchel's number 1 choice to start next season. Of course Nubel was not going to stay at Bayern with those 2 top keepers still at Bayern, Nubel has made it clear he wants 1st team football. Moreover, Monaco didn't have an option to buy Nubel after his 2 year loan spell there. In fact, contrary to what you claim, Monaco did make an offer to make Nubel's spell at Monaco permanent, but Nubel rejected the offer.

He had plenty of praise last season for his performances at Monaco. He made the most saves in the French league last season, some superb saves to boot, both domestically and in Europe for Monaco. Did he make a few mistakes? Yes, he did, but that's not too surprising for a 26 year old, even the best still make mistakes. Just look at the experienced 34 year old Sommer last season for Bayern, his mistakes didn't overshadow the exceptional saves he made.

You have to also take into account that Monaco are known as an attacking team, they scored the most goals in the French league last season, second only to the mighty PSG. Consequently, Nubel didn't have the best protection at the back, nonetheless he performed excellently in many matches, making vital saves. The fact he made the most saves in the league should say something to you. Additionally, the fact that Nubel started every single league match for Monaco last season and the fact he played a massive 48 competitive matches for them in all competitions, should show you how highly rated and how busy he was. Monaco are one of the best teams in France and Nubel played a key role for them over two seasons. These facts should affirm how highly rated Nubel is.

Furthermore, Bayern do not want him to leave permanently. They are only loaning him out for one season, meaning they see Nubel's long term future, still at Bayern. Heck, you have several people at Bayern saying how much they want to keep him because of how good he is and that they see him as Bayern's future number 1. I wouldn't write Nubel off just yet, especially judging by his performances at Monaco.

Can't say i follow the French leahgue, therefore admitting can't judge Nübel based on his Monaco performances. For the bolded part though I remember there were also people at Bayern saying Rensing would be a coming German national keeper, Uli Hoeneß being one of them. We all know how this panned out. Indeed Bayern overrating their own players has an illustrious past. Them praising their own players can't be taken as a sign of said players really existing quality, if we're honest. Rensing's just one example Breno, Lell, Ottl, Arp, Contento, Aumann are others from top of my head.

8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Can't say i follow the French leahgue, therefore admitting can't judge Nübel based on his Monaco performances. For the bolded part though I remember there were also people at Bayern saying Rensing would be a coming German national keeper, Uli Hoeneß being one of them. We all know how this panned out. Indeed Bayern overrating their own players has an illustrious past. Them praising their own players can't be taken as a sign of said players really existing quality, if we're honest. Rensing's just one example Breno, Lell, Ottl, Arp, Contento, Aumann are others from top of my head.

Fair enough, some people at Bayern have made mistakes overrating their players in the past. But to be honest, I never rated Lell, Ottl or Contento, well I never thought that they were anywhere close enough deserving to be playing regularly for Bayern. I thought they looked average at Bayern at best. Breno had obvious issues adapting to Germany, his cruciate ligament injury didn't help his progress either, not to mention his shenanigans with arson. While Arp never even played a game for the Bayern first team. What I am saying, is that I don't think they were as highly rated as Nubel currently is. I mean perhaps when they were very young, people might have thought they had very good potential, but I am sure that sentiment withered away when those players were in their early 20's. 

As for Rensing, yeah, I remember him being very highly rated for a while, but yeah, he never lived up to expectations at Bayern. However, Aumann was a top keeper for Bayern from what I know. After Pfaff left Bayern, Aumann became a key figure at Bayern and was highly praised for his performances. He was also a member of Germany's 1990 World Cup winning squad, suggesting that he was rated among the best 3 German keepers at the time.

Either way, I think that Nubel is still highly rated by most pundits. He has come off a good season at one of France's best clubs. Moreover, I think that he is already better than Rensing was at his peak. So for me, his future still looks very bright, especially after being impressed by his performances last season.

• Subscriber

16 hours ago, Michael said:

All I can tell you is I saw none of the same reports you saw. I saw absolutely nothing about Monaco wanting to purchase nor loan Nübel again, in fact i saw the opposite; that Monaco where the ones to not want to extend the loan etc. Maybe this has pivoted internally as there aren't a tonne of great options out there as we still seek a long term Neuer successor so the one year loan option with Stuttgart would work out nicely in that regards but I still just dont see it.

I also dont see his future here and basically never have. The one chance imo he had to make a case was before we bought Sommer when Neuer was injured. There was alot of discussions about recalling him, breaking the loan with Monaco etc but ultimately it didnt sound like Nübel wanted to. If that wasn't the time for him to audition I dont think he has one. As far as Sommer I think its unlikely both him and Neuer are here to start the season unless Neuer still isnt healthy. 

20 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

All I can tell you is I saw none of the same reports you saw. I saw absolutely nothing about Monaco wanting to purchase nor loan Nübel again, in fact i saw the opposite; that Monaco where the ones to not want to extend the loan etc. Maybe this has pivoted internally as there aren't a tonne of great options out there as we still seek a long term Neuer successor so the one year loan option with Stuttgart would work out nicely in that regards but I still just dont see it.

I also dont see his future here and basically never have. The one chance imo he had to make a case was before we bought Sommer when Neuer was injured. There was alot of discussions about recalling him, breaking the loan with Monaco etc but ultimately it didnt sound like Nübel wanted to. If that wasn't the time for him to audition I dont think he has one. As far as Sommer I think its unlikely both him and Neuer are here to start the season unless Neuer still isnt healthy. 

Alexander Nubel rejects AS Monaco for Bayern Munich return (footballtoday.com)

Here is just one source, proving that Monaco wanted Nubel to sign a permanent contract with them, but that Nubel rejected the permanent contract offer, because he wanted to leave them this summer. The source is from Sky Sports Germany. 

Yeah, there was a reported attempt by Bayern to cut Nubel's 2 year loan stint at Monaco short, but Monaco were adamant that they wanted to keep him and Nubel himself stated he wanted to honour his 2 year loan deal at Monaco. That is duly what Nubel did and he only decided to leave Monaco after his agreed 2 year loan stint was over. The following link source confirms this:

Nübel reveals Monaco don't want to let him go this month (bulinews.com)

We all know that Bayern's standard's are extremely high, but to say that a young keeper like Nubel has no chance of ever being number 1 for Bayern is jumping the gun in my opinion. He performed excellently at Schalke when he was there, those performances are what convinced Bayern to sign him in the first place in 2020. He has just spent the last two years impressing at a top French club in Monaco, who as I've evidenced, wanted to keep him. So I honestly think it's premature to think he hasn't got what it takes to ever be an established and successful number 1 at an elite club like Bayern. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Michael said:

Alexander Nubel rejects AS Monaco for Bayern Munich return (footballtoday.com)

Here is just one source, proving that Monaco wanted Nubel to sign a permanent contract with them, but that Nubel rejected the permanent contract offer, because he wanted to leave them this summer. The source is from Sky Sports Germany. 

Yeah, there was a reported attempt by Bayern to cut Nubel's 2 year loan stint at Monaco short, but Monaco were adamant that they wanted to keep him and Nubel himself stated he wanted to honour his 2 year loan deal at Monaco. That is duly what Nubel did and he only decided to leave Monaco after his agreed 2 year loan stint was over. The following link source confirms this:

Nübel reveals Monaco don't want to let him go this month (bulinews.com)

We all know that Bayern's standard's are extremely high, but to say that a young keeper like Nubel has no chance of ever being number 1 for Bayern is jumping the gun in my opinion. He performed excellently at Schalke when he was there, those performances are what convinced Bayern to sign him in the first place in 2020. He has just spent the last two years impressing at a top French club in Monaco, who as I've evidenced, wanted to keep him. So I honestly think it's premature to think he hasn't got what it takes to ever be an established and successful number 1 at an elite club like Bayern. 

I think you misunderstand. I dont mean to have an opinion on Nübel, I know far too little about him to make an opinion about him as a keeper. I was just saying the scouting reports from our side where fairly consistently mixed reviews. Not my opinion and if you're higher then that on him so be it, I didnt watch him I wont argue.

But what im trying to say is this is what I think is happening based on the transfer news around the position. Based on the loan mess in trying to recall him etc. The fact that we've been constantly linked to a long term Neuer successor in many different forms, even some younger keepers as well doesnt bode well for Nübel getting a chance. The fact that Nübel didnt want to come back during that loan when he would have had a legit chance to prove himself again doesnt bode well for him. The one year loan to Stuttgart is interesting and maybe does show there is some hope internally still but there weren't alot of offers for permanent deals either apparently and hes only got a contract until 2025 if I remember off hand as well. I never saw that report about Monaco trying to buy him thats interesting, I definitely trust Plettenberg for our news especially these days but Nübel rejecting them for a permanent move isnt the same as Bayern rejecting an offer keep in mind. 

2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I think you misunderstand. I dont mean to have an opinion on Nübel, I know far too little about him to make an opinion about him as a keeper. I was just saying the scouting reports from our side where fairly consistently mixed reviews. Not my opinion and if you're higher then that on him so be it, I didnt watch him I wont argue.

But what im trying to say is this is what I think is happening based on the transfer news around the position. Based on the loan mess in trying to recall him etc. The fact that we've been constantly linked to a long term Neuer successor in many different forms, even some younger keepers as well doesnt bode well for Nübel getting a chance. The fact that Nübel didnt want to come back during that loan when he would have had a legit chance to prove himself again doesnt bode well for him. The one year loan to Stuttgart is interesting and maybe does show there is some hope internally still but there weren't alot of offers for permanent deals either apparently and hes only got a contract until 2025 if I remember off hand as well. I never saw that report about Monaco trying to buy him thats interesting, I definitely trust Plettenberg for our news especially these days but Nübel rejecting them for a permanent move isnt the same as Bayern rejecting an offer keep in mind. 

Fair enough, if you don't have an opinion on him if you haven't watched him play regularly over the past couple of seasons. But I think that most people who have watched him over that period, would have been quite impressed. 

As for for the transfer news around this position, I think that it's relatively straight forward. I think the fact that Bayern tried to cut Nubel's loan period at Monaco short, emphasises the idea that they really still want him and still believe in him. As mentioned earlier, the only reason he didn't leave Monaco early, was because he wanted to respect his loan contract there. It wasn't because he didn't want to prove himself at Bayern. Bayern were always going to be rumoured to be after new keepers, because they are an elite club and because Neuer and even Sommer are no longer young in footballing terms. Neuer was the undisputed Bayern keeper for more than a decade, but they are now clearly looking for a world class successor. 

Even if they do bring in a quality new keeper, it's nothing strange for an elite club to have more than one top class keeper at a club battle it out between each other to start for the club. That's not to say that Bayern no longer have faith in Nubel being their number 1, because they clearly do, going by all the statements that have come from the club. Them only loaning Nubel to Stuttgart and refusing to sell him, is a clear message that they see he has a future at Bayern. Nubel wasn't for sale, hence the reason there weren't loads of offers for permanent deals for Nubel. 

Yes, in theory, Nubel rejecting the offer, doesn't mean that Bayern would have necessarily rejected a bid. But the fact that there have been several reports from Bayern, saying they do not want to sell Nubel and that they want to keep him, would suggest that even if there was a transfer bid, Bayern would have rejected it. My point is that I think it's clear that right now, Bayern see Nubel's future at Bayern. The fact that his contract expires in 2025 at Bayern, in y opinion, is not really relevant. It would be more of a talking point if it expired in 2024. As it stands, there is plenty of time for Bayern to renew his contract during the upcoming season or even beyond that.

23 minutes ago, Coma said:

I, for one, welcome the new keeper to VfB. All the debate above is fair, but had anyone watched how badly Müller and Bredow were last season they'd be jumping at signing Bayern's rejects.

Müller and Bredlow were terrible, agreed. I expect Stuttgart to have a better upcoming season, than they had last year.

On 25/07/2023 at 21:15, Michael said:

Fair enough, if you don't have an opinion on him if you haven't watched him play regularly over the past couple of seasons. But I think that most people who have watched him over that period, would have been quite impressed. 

As for for the transfer news around this position, I think that it's relatively straight forward. I think the fact that Bayern tried to cut Nubel's loan period at Monaco short, emphasises the idea that they really still want him and still believe in him. As mentioned earlier, the only reason he didn't leave Monaco early, was because he wanted to respect his loan contract there. It wasn't because he didn't want to prove himself at Bayern. Bayern were always going to be rumoured to be after new keepers, because they are an elite club and because Neuer and even Sommer are no longer young in footballing terms. Neuer was the undisputed Bayern keeper for more than a decade, but they are now clearly looking for a world class successor. 

Even if they do bring in a quality new keeper, it's nothing strange for an elite club to have more than one top class keeper at a club battle it out between each other to start for the club. That's not to say that Bayern no longer have faith in Nubel being their number 1, because they clearly do, going by all the statements that have come from the club. Them only loaning Nubel to Stuttgart and refusing to sell him, is a clear message that they see he has a future at Bayern. Nubel wasn't for sale, hence the reason there weren't loads of offers for permanent deals for Nubel. 

Yes, in theory, Nubel rejecting the offer, doesn't mean that Bayern would have necessarily rejected a bid. But the fact that there have been several reports from Bayern, saying they do not want to sell Nubel and that they want to keep him, would suggest that even if there was a transfer bid, Bayern would have rejected it. My point is that I think it's clear that right now, Bayern see Nubel's future at Bayern. The fact that his contract expires in 2025 at Bayern, in y opinion, is not really relevant. It would be more of a talking point if it expired in 2024. As it stands, there is plenty of time for Bayern to renew his contract during the upcoming season or even beyond that.

Was there not a purchase option for Stuttgart? I though I read there was.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Coma said:

Was there not a purchase option for Stuttgart? I though I read there was.

Plettenberg says there isnt an option to buy and Ive seen nothing to contradict this so far.

Basically all I see is exactly what Tommy's posted for details at the top.

• Upvote 1