• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wilfried Gnonto - Everton Still Pushing For Leeds Winger

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Fabrizio is saying Gnonto's wanted the Everton move since July but our sources have always been adament that he wasn't keen to go there. He was never pushing for the move, more his agent was, but Gnonto always wanted a better option than Everton.

It's only now that no other bids have come in and Leeds have been firm on the price tag meaning he could potentially stay, that Gnonto's been advised from the Italian camp, he needs to keep himself at the highest level if he wants to remain in the Italy set up for the Euro's.

From what we've been led to believe, his agent has been the one thats pushed it and advised Gnonto to be open to Everton and make himself unavailable for us in the League Cup in order to force a move.

Leeds were insistant up to that point they would stand firm and only let him go for a fee they thought was fair given the way all the other departures had left this summer. He was one of the few without a clause and so the club had more leverage to demand a fee for him, and I think this displeased his agent. Gnonto has never kicked up a fuss to that point.

Knowing us, we always get shit fees for our players compared to everyone else so I suspect we'll just cave and let him go for cheap so we can just invest it elsewhere as we are in a bit of a desperate position with lack of bodies.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

I know Fabrizio is saying Gnonto's wanted the Everton move since July but our sources have always been adament that he wasn't keen to go there. He was never pushing for the move, more his agent was, but Gnonto always wanted a better option than Everton.

It's only now that no other bids have come in and Leeds have been firm on the price tag meaning he could potentially stay, that Gnonto's been advised from the Italian camp, he needs to keep himself at the highest level if he wants to remain in the Italy set up for the Euro's.

From what we've been led to believe, his agent has been the one thats pushed it and advised Gnonto to be open to Everton and make himself unavailable for us in the League Cup in order to force a move.

Leeds were insistant up to that point they would stand firm and only let him go for a fee they thought was fair given the way all the other departures had left this summer. He was one of the few without a clause and so the club had more leverage to demand a fee for him, and I think this displeased his agent. Gnonto has never kicked up a fuss to that point.

Knowing us, we always get shit fees for our players compared to everyone else so I suspect we'll just cave and let him go for cheap so we can just invest it elsewhere as we are in a bit of a desperate position with lack of bodies.

I think that Everton have been a bit more grown up this summer and even though we've only signed Young and loaned Danjuma while losing numerous squad players, these are both pieces of smart business. The signing of Chermiti is also grown-up recruitment from us and Sean Dyche brings an air of professionalism to the club.

Meanwhile, Wolves are in a mess, Sheffield United look like they're already throwing in the towel this season, Fulham and West Ham have had iffy windows, Luton aren't much-fancied and Bournemouth have taken a punt on a new manager. Everton's relative stability compared to the chaos club of the last two seasons might have made the place just look a tiny bit less like career suicide.

The lad is 19. Even if he thinks Everton are likely to get relegated this season it gives him a full year to prove himself in the Premier League and Dyche and Thelwell have probably made a decent case as to where he'd fit into the team and function. I know that they did a good job on that with Danjuma.

It also seems like we have more money than anyone thought if we've spent £12m on Chermiti and we're reasonably close to Leeds' valuation on Gnonto. 

It's good business from Leeds anyway. Looks like you'll turn something close to a £20m profit on the player in 12 months.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think that Everton have been a bit more grown up this summer and even though we've only signed Young and loaned Danjuma while losing numerous squad players, these are both pieces of smart business. The signing of Chermiti is also grown-up recruitment from us and Sean Dyche brings an air of professionalism to the club.

Meanwhile, Wolves are in a mess, Sheffield United look like they're already throwing in the towel this season, Fulham and West Ham have had iffy windows, Luton aren't much-fancied and Bournemouth have taken a punt on a new manager. Everton's relative stability compared to the chaos club of the last two seasons might have made the place just look a tiny bit less like career suicide.

The lad is 19. Even if he thinks Everton are likely to get relegated this season it gives him a full year to prove himself in the Premier League and Dyche and Thelwell have probably made a decent case as to where he'd fit into the team and function. I know that they did a good job on that with Danjuma.

It also seems like we have more money than anyone thought if we've spent £12m on Chermiti and we're reasonably close to Leeds' valuation on Gnonto. 

It's good business from Leeds anyway. Looks like you'll turn something close to a £20m profit on the player in 12 months.

To be fair, as much as we don't like to think it, I think these days most players view any kind of move to PL level as a chance to put themselves in the shop window for bigger better things. I've no doubt players we brought in last season and before when we were up there felt that about us.

But I think you're getting a very good prospect for the price rumoured and what sickens me a bit is, I feel if and when he moves next, you'll get more for him like we should have now because that money is peanuts really to what we've already lost on players.

Just annoying that we don't seem to dig our heels in on fee's like a lot of other clubs. Anyway, good luck to him, he needs work and Dyche will have to knuckle down with him defensively to muck in, but he's a livewire and will be a great outlet for you to counter.

19, got the potential, in the Italian national set up already, just needs to fulfill it now. 

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

To be fair, as much as we don't like to think it, I think these days most players view any kind of move to PL level as a chance to put themselves in the shop window for bigger better things. I've no doubt players we brought in last season and before when we were up there felt that about us.

But I think you're getting a very good prospect for the price rumoured and what sickens me a bit is, I feel if and when he moves next, you'll get more for him like we should have now because that money is peanuts really to what we've already lost on players.

Just annoying that we don't seem to dig our heels in on fee's like a lot of other clubs. Anyway, good luck to him, he needs work and Dyche will have to knuckle down with him defensively to muck in, but he's a livewire and will be a great outlet for you to counter.

19, got the potential, in the Italian national set up already, just needs to fulfill it now. 

That's how it is sadly. These players move for £5m then £20m then £60m if they get there.

We signed Onana for £25-30m last summer and despite not being that amazing for us it already looks like we'll be able to cash in for about double that at some point. But the frustration is, Lille had him the year before for £12.5m and you wish you'd got him then.

Brighton have it to a fine art, signing the players for <£10m and multiplying that money hand over fist. I think we all have to be happy though if our clubs can at least turn a profit and certainly if they can double their money. Leeds could certainly have "done a Brighton" on Gnonto though if you'd stayed up because you'd probably have kept him around until has value ballooned at least beyond £30m, so I get your frustration.

I just have so much respect for Daniel Farke. He's having literally everything go against him, this week alone has been rough, when all he wants to do is get stuck in and rebuild a side to compete.

It's a shame for Gnonto, he's going to get a lot of shit for this but I really feel it's a classic case of a 19 year old that knows no better, listening to a scumbag agent who knows all the tricks of the trade.

Ultimately, the only losers in this will be us and as tough a stance as the club will look to take, eventually you buckle and sell him because you don't keep an unhappy player on board do you.

Edited by Lucas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Seems like this saga isn't over just yet...

From BBC:

Everton are continuing to pursue a deal for Leeds winger Wilfried Gnonto, despite now having three bids rejected from the Championship club.

The Toffees have tried to complete the transfer all summer and had two bids rejected earlier this summer.

Gnonto, 19, submitted a transfer request and the Italy international missed three games after being made to train away for from the first-team, before returning to the side and scoring in Saturday’s 4-3 win at Ipswich.

BBC Sport understands Everton had a £25.7m bid rejected on Thursday, still short of Leeds’ reported £30m valuation.

Leeds continue to maintain the stance, as it has been all summer, that they do not want to sell the player.

With Friday’s 23:00 BST deadline fast approaching, Everton are running out of time to complete a deal which would require a medical and paperwork being finalised.

• The title was changed to Wilfried Gnonto - Everton Still Pushing For Leeds Winger