talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I REALLY doubt that Red Bull offered Alonso the seat. 

I also find this hard to believe.

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Force India have officially quit, "Racing Point Force India" have been born.

Also, Fernando Alonso has confirmed that he was offered the Red Bull seat, but has turned it down.

It's like they've tried to think of the most horrific name possible.

Racing Point Force India. Even Force Canada would have been better xD.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Why would he lie? Unless he's been misquoted.

Christian Horner said they wouldn't want Alonso anyway as he causes disruption to teams. Someone is lying. Maybe we are biased towards Horner because he got in there first. But you're right, Alonso has limited reason to lie as he's leaving F1 anyway unless he's just being a dick. If Red Bull did indeed approach him and get turned down they might want to lie about it for the sake of not looking like a team that can't attract top drivers.

That said, I still find it very unlikely with the Red Bull Honda deal that they'd want Alonso in the car after the things he said about them in recent years. It's not good PR. Its also not how Red Bull usually go about their driver recruitment regardless of Honda. Finally, I don't think it likely that Alonso would have turned down one last try in a potentially competitive car if he was offered it, unless he is 200% sure that Red Bull will be hopeless with a Honda engine in the back.

For all we know they're both lying. Or maybe a conversation was had about potentially doing a deal and now both sides are exaggerating their side of things. Maybe they both genuinely think that it was them who walked away from the negotiation. Maybe it was Verstappen who doesn't officially have a veto but probably does in reality who said no thanks. Maybe someone at Red Bull like Helmut Marko made contact with Alonso on an informal level and was rejected so that it never got as far as Horner, who is therefore telling the truth as far as he's concerned. Who knows.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

nothing like a bit of rain to make it exciting :D 

???

It's not exciting though, because the Mercs are untouchable in the rain. In the dry the top 3 teams are really close. Especially Ferrari and Mercedes are virtually equal in the dry with the exception of Monaco.

• Subscriber

Hamilton nicks it. Raikkonen and the Red Bulls not enough fuel to be on track when the conditions were optimum. Whoops.

Force India gamble on the wet track at first but it pays off by accident as they end up out at the end of the session. 3rd and 4th.

• Subscriber

20 Belgian GPs ago was one of the most dramatic races of the Schumacher era:

It always makes me laugh with the original crash, it just looks like the last half a dozen cars to get involved are just like LOL that looks like fun I'm just going to join in.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

20 Belgian GPs ago was one of the most dramatic races of the Schumacher era:

It always makes me laugh with the original crash, it just looks like the last half a dozen cars to get involved are just like LOL that looks like fun I'm just going to join in.

absolute carnage, that. I only had very vague memories of it.

• Subscriber

Dull race but Vettel closing the gap is good for the championship.

Ferrari clearly have a bit extra speed here and look near certain to be the class of the field again at Monza. If Vettel can win with Kimi second the gap will be down to 7 if Lewis is 3rd.

Good weekend for Force India and Haas. Renault have lost a lot of points here in that 4th-6th battle.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It wasn't brake failure was it? Just an accident I thought?

looks like his rear wheels locked up and they mentioned it could have been his breaks failing on him hence why he couldn't prevent going right in to the back.

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Boring race, happy for Seb and the Ferrari team however I'll be very surprised if he's not stripped of the victory for overtaking when the safety car flags were out. 

Pretty sure that "incident" is not even under investigation. xD