Gareth Southgate to Leave England After Euro 2024

football forum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

England are at the end of their cycle with many former or current key players now in their 30s who will need replacing by 2026.

Pep won't take that England on.

Lee Carsley will absolutely get the job.

Southgate will get the Man Utd job, a club in desperate need of a moral leader and teacher to put all those wrong'uns on the right track :ph34r:

If Southgate leaves then I think he’ll take another international job. He’s proven himself more than capable at this level and he seems like the type of person who’d be open to working in a different country.

For his sake he’ll want to win the euros just silence the critics of his but even if he doesn’t, over the last 3 tournaments he’s managed he’s done more than anyone in my lifetime to bring some sort of success to the national team and this certainly isn’t the best England team of my lifetime.

I mentioned before that Carsley might get it, especially as he’s managed the current crop of u21s and u20s before that. A lot of England’s future and current talent will have played under him and I think that’s something that helped Southgate out a lot too.

Edited by Danny

I'm still trying to decide if I perhaps underestimated this current batch of players, but I do remember having near zero expectations for the 2018 World Cup. And they got to a semi final. Yes, they lost twice to Belgium, were knocked out by Croatia & would perhaps have been embarrassed by France, but where you get to is where you get to. And they went that little bit further at the delayed Euro's. Then in Qatar got edged out by France. 

And I am equally starting to wonder now where the next generation are. Will they cover all positions adequately. But also with Bellingham owning being a Real Madrid superstar. Saka, Foden & even still Rice should be around for a few tournaments ahead. But if this modern England squad ever had as many pre tournament injuries as France had, before Qatar,  I'm fairly sure they do not have the same depth of choice of backups.

Personally I don't see them making a celebrity name appointment next. I don't think it would interest too many of those types.

And it would be a really brilliant way to end, to get a trophy. They should have belief that is realistic. Whether they do or they don't, it does perhaps feel like end of the journey time.