talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2023/24 - 19-20th September, 2023

football forum

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Not sure what the first booking was for but the second seemed quite clear. 

Hull's open goal miss though xD

Sunday league stuff. 

First booking was a complete joke, exactly what I haven't missed at this level. The officials are beyond incompetant.

We got lucky with that late miss of theirs for sure but to miss the hatful we did before that was not good. Hull weren't much cop at all. Can't say I've been that bowled over by anyone we've faced, even Ipswich.

That said, we are playing well. There will be teams nicking games now but they'll run out of that luck in the end.

I'd like to think playing as we are, we'll be competitive up the to 46th game but where that takes us, no idea.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

It's hard to not come across very cocky but I do think we are going to win the league quite comfortably.

Think everyone had you to win the league easily in fairness. Other than possibly Leeds, I can't see any other teams coming close to you really (I can't see Ipswich and Preston maintaining their current form throughout the season).

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Lucas said:

First booking was a complete joke, exactly what I haven't missed at this level. The officials are beyond incompetant.

We got lucky with that late miss of theirs for sure but to miss the hatful we did before that was not good. Hull weren't much cop at all. Can't say I've been that bowled over by anyone we've faced, even Ipswich.

That said, we are playing well. There will be teams nicking games now but they'll run out of that luck in the end.

I'd like to think playing as we are, we'll be competitive up the to 46th game but where that takes us, no idea.

Yeah that's horrendous xD 

Everyone should take a look at the penalty Fleetwood got from the weekend. Insane.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Think everyone had you to win the league easily in fairness. Other than possibly Leeds, I can't see any other teams coming close to you really (I can't see Ipswich and Preston maintaining their current form throughout the season).

Yeah this is the thing - I think we had a heavy advantage over the others and quite frankly, we had a squad in the Premier League that shouldn't have been in the discussion to drop let alone actually seen it through. We've appointed evidently a good manager and we've bought pretty well too. There'll be bumps in the road but we've so far lived up to expectation. It's pretty mad that a team is 3rd with 18 points at this stage as well - though I cannot see Preston keeping this up.

I think Ipswich can see this through and get a top 6 finish but maybe not promoted. Preston I think finish about 8th. I think Leeds will go up and I'm quite big on Sunderland as well - and they're showing some very promising signs at last.

• The topic was unpinned
12 hours ago, Dan said:

Yeah this is the thing - I think we had a heavy advantage over the others and quite frankly, we had a squad in the Premier League that shouldn't have been in the discussion to drop let alone actually seen it through. We've appointed evidently a good manager and we've bought pretty well too. There'll be bumps in the road but we've so far lived up to expectation. It's pretty mad that a team is 3rd with 18 points at this stage as well - though I cannot see Preston keeping this up.

I think Ipswich can see this through and get a top 6 finish but maybe not promoted. Preston I think finish about 8th. I think Leeds will go up and I'm quite big on Sunderland as well - and they're showing some very promising signs at last.

I think Preston had the best stretch of fixtures over August / September. I'd be impressed if they're still keeping pace by November, but it's worth mentioning Ryan Lowe's in game tactical changes have been impressive.

Given Leicester are winning games without people clamouring over how impressive they've been at a time when there best front three isn't clear, it's fair to assume that they're only going to get stronger as the season progresses which could make this title race a little boring.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think Preston had the best stretch of fixtures over August / September. I'd be impressed if they're still keeping pace by November, but it's worth mentioning Ryan Lowe's in game tactical changes have been impressive.

Given Leicester are winning games without people clamouring over how impressive they've been at a time when there best front three isn't clear, it's fair to assume that they're only going to get stronger as the season progresses which could make this title race a little boring.

I did laugh to myself when I saw Preston's next game is Rotherham too. I'm of this view as well. I think they've done very well but they've had very kind fixtures and they seem to be taking every chance they get. I think they've given themselves a shot of a top 6 spot, but I'd be amazed if they finished in the top 2.

My favourite four teams in this league are Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and Sunderland. I think Leeds are getting there. Sunderland are getting the results now and I'm a fan of the way they've run themselves. Ipswich, I know they were largely tipped to do well but 6 wins in 7 as a newly promoted side is a great effort. I think they can last the way.

Maresca's doing really well so far. His system clearly works. We weren't blowing teams away early doors but we've picked up a bit in the last couple of games. Basically Leicester's ceiling was extremely high this season and despite not even being at our best we've won 6 in 7, 8 in 9 in all competitions (including 6/6 away which is really impressive at any level). I'm of the same view as you - we could completely run away with it. But I do expect there to be the odd bump in the road too - I'd not be one bit surprised if we dropped points tomorrow.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Storts said:

I told you this before the season started 

Far too good for this league. Really shrewd from us because we've caught a player simply well above this level while he was at his lowest ebb. He's a top half PL player for me.