• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group C - Matchday 7 & 8 - 14-17th October, 2023

football forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not sure it benefits England for Bellingham to be the 10-CAM. We have other options & have always lacked a Pirlo..

Still not sure about Phillips & Maguire, still in, just because. Phillips looks out of touch to me.

Italy looking consistently dangerous down Trippier's side, on the left.

Overall, there's been so much reason to believe we should be beating this Italy side, quite comfortably. But 1-1 at HT. And chance after chance just appearing for Italy, as much by luck as having any real classic Italian excellence.

Well Ukraine lead at half-time after going down a goal, but they will want to score more goals here in Malta, as they will seek to improve their goal-difference in this group, because it could end up being important at the end of the group standings.

10 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Still not sure it benefits England for Bellingham to be the 10-CAM. We have other options & have always lacked a Pirlo..

Still not sure about Phillips & Maguire, still in, just because. Phillips looks out of touch to me.

Italy looking consistently dangerous down Trippier's side, on the left.

Overall, there's been so much reason to believe we should be beating this Italy side, quite comfortably. But 1-1 at HT. And chance after chance just appearing for Italy, as much by luck as having any real classic Italian excellence.

I don't mind Bellingham playing in that position for England, as he plays very well there. But I agree with your view on Philips and Maguire, Philips has just not been with it and yeah, looks out of touch as you said. Maguire, is Maguire, we have better defenders than him in my opinion. But England are really missing the presence of the injured duo of Chilwell and Luke Shaw at left back. Trippier is just not as good as them in my opinion and has struggled today.

England are also really missing Saka, when he is on fire, he and Bellingham are unstoppable for England.

It was an excellent goal from Mudryk, as he beat the Maltese player down the left flank, Mudryk then cut inside and delivered a swerving right footed shot from outside the area, that the Maltese keeper had no chance of saving! That was a lovely individual goal by Mudryk.

Satisfying to see them take the win that was there for the taking. 

I do just feel if & when this England come up against a France, or host Germany, or whoever emerges, at some later stage, that Bellingham can be 1 to help control the game from a little deeper. I think he's one of those who could play any position & be 1 of the best around.

With England beating Italy 3-1, England secure qualification for the Euros!!

England are now on 16 points and England's win, alongside Ukraine's 1-3 win away to Malta, means that Ukraine move up into 2nd position in the group on 13 points.

Italy are in 3rd position in the group on 10 points, with North Macedonia now eliminated from qualifying, even though they have a reasonable 7 points in this tough group.

Italy have a game in hand on Ukraine though, as the Italians will face the North Macedonians next, at home in Rome. One would expect the Italians to beat an already eliminated North Macedonia in Rome. An Italy win against North Macedonia, would leave Italy's final match against Ukraine as the deciding match, which would determine who of those 2 teams qualifies alongside England.

• The topic was unpinned