The better place to talk football.

Group C - Matchday 7 & 8 - 14-17th October, 2023

football forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

It does look like Ukraine will need to win Vs Italy. Will be an interesting final match !

Yeah, well if Italy beat North Macedonia in Rome, which looks likely, as they will throw the kitchen sink at them. Ukraine will need to beat Italy in that final match, because Italy won their last match 2-1 in Rome. So even a draw for Ukraine would mean that Italy would go through, because they'd have a better head to head against Ukraine. Ukraine would need to win, unless North Macedonia do them a huge favour and get something in their match against the Italians.

The Ukrainians don't even know 100% yet where that final match against Italy will be played. Because of the war in Ukraine, they've had to play their home games in this group in other countries. So far they've played in Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. In their final match against Italy, it is suggested that they could play in Leverkusen, in Germany. 

42 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Satisfying to see them take the win that was there for the taking. 

I do just feel if & when this England come up against a France, or host Germany, or whoever emerges, at some later stage, that Bellingham can be 1 to help control the game from a little deeper. I think he's one of those who could play any position & be 1 of the best around.

England have to be the favourites alongside France to win the upcoming Euros. This team looks excellent, the only question marks for me is in defence. I am not sure I'd still start Maguire at the back. But apart from that, we have an excellent team. Going forward, we have so many threats. We need to keep Kane fit, because he is our only real world class out and out forward and he is key to our game. But we have so many attacking creative players, we are spoilt for choice. Bellingham, Saka, Foden, Grealish, Maddison, Rashford, Sterling, Bowen, Mason Mount etc. are attacking players that any other top national team would dream of having. We have a plentiful choice of creative players and we also have Declan Rice in central midfield. Rice is key to our midfield, his consistency and talent, is priceless for England. 

It's a very good time to be an England fan, with all the talent on display. Winning the Euros would give a huge boost to this young team. Perhaps they could do what previous French and Spanish national teams have done in the past and win both the Euros and the World Cup in succession. Maybe that's asking for a bit too much, but there is no doubt that this England team is bristling with immense talent.

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Satisfying to see them take the win that was there for the taking. 

I do just feel if & when this England come up against a France, or host Germany, or whoever emerges, at some later stage, that Bellingham can be 1 to help control the game from a little deeper. I think he's one of those who could play any position & be 1 of the best around.

Was it there for the taking? I missed most of it but from what I heard Italy played very well but we played one of the best games we have in a while.

I think France look like the best team. I'd like to see if England could beat a big team in a knockout. I think they might have had they played one in the world cup but they came up against France who were to good. I think they might have beaten anyone else apart from Argentina in the world cup. 

8 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Was it there for the taking? I missed most of it but from what I heard Italy played very well but we played one of the best games we have in a while.

I think France look like the best team. I'd like to see if England could beat a big team in a knockout. I think they might have had they played one in the world cup but they came up against France who were to good. I think they might have beaten anyone else apart from Argentina in the world cup. 

Italy did play well, but England are just on another level, lets be honest. No other team in Europe is on the level of England right now, except for France. England look like they will beat every team in front of them, when they play with their best players.

15 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I do think Italy did the best they could. Tactically. And perhaps with the level of players they have now. But for me, I really did feel it was there if England got themselves going. In the 1st half especially Italy were often threatening down England's injury weakened left. And they did have lots of what felt like flukey or average play getting through. On other days they could have been 2-1 up at HT. But best way I can describe it, was that it genuinely felt to me like a mid table team somehow taking the lead against Man City. England looking much more composed & higher quality. Going forward. Going the other direction though, Phillips just was never really in the match. And Trippier did look out of position on the left. Maguire is not playing much club football. Stones was making his England return before his Man City return. And none of the chances for Italy felt like it was especially top level kind of plays.

I can't imagine too many of the older Italians feeling genuinely happy at HT.

20 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Michael are you likely to get a playoff place?

Actually, I checked this up again and from what I understand, Ukraine would probably get a play-off place if they finished in 3rd place. But obviously, maintaining 2nd position in this group is what they will try to do when they meet Italy next month in their final group match.

• The topic was unpinned