talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America 2024

Starting this thread now because some of the CONCACAF teams are still mid-qualifying.

I actually think the favourites are Uruguay this time, especially if Scaloni leaves Argentina. Don't think Brazil wins it this time and I'm worried how the next Argentine manager will be received as it is a near impossible job replacing the World Cup winner. I'm not sure Colombia have what it takes either, they have a great squad and perhaps the most modern manager in South America right now, but they do have a cultural issue mentally. They tend to fall in big moments, with a good therapist maybe they can overcome that just as Peru did the last 10 years.

Speaking of Peru, I expect us to reach quarters this time. We are always very good in the Copa America. A group exit would be a disaster, we currently have the longest streak without going out first round, running since 1997. Despite our terrible, terrible form, I expect us to do as well as we always do.

Finally, the other team that are expected to make noise is Ecuador, and despite having their best generation in almost 20 years, they need to just progress and give a good showing in the quarters. They've won 3 Copa America games all century, they need to show why this team is different. 

Chile, Bolivia and Venezuela I don't see getting very far. Paraguay are also terrible but they at least have a good record in cup competitions so I reckon they'll do OK.

Of the CONCACAF sides, none of them will do well but I do believe Jamaica might make some noise. Their new convinced generation from England seems to be geling slowly, and while they are still inferior to most CONMEBOL sides, this might be the first tournament they prove they are up to snuff. They did well to beat Canada away from home who have also improved a lot in the last few years.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Starting this thread now because some of the CONCACAF teams are still mid-qualifying.

I actually think the favourites are Uruguay this time, especially if Scaloni leaves Argentina. Don't think Brazil wins it this time and I'm worried how the next Argentine manager will be received as it is a near impossible job replacing the World Cup winner. I'm not sure Colombia have what it takes either, they have a great squad and perhaps the most modern manager in South America right now, but they do have a cultural issue mentally. They tend to fall in big moments, with a good therapist maybe they can overcome that just as Peru did the last 10 years.

Speaking of Peru, I expect us to reach quarters this time. We are always very good in the Copa America. A group exit would be a disaster, we currently have the longest streak without going out first round, running since 1997. Despite our terrible, terrible form, I expect us to do as well as we always do.

Finally, the other team that are expected to make noise is Ecuador, and despite having their best generation in almost 20 years, they need to just progress and give a good showing in the quarters. They've won 3 Copa America games all century, they need to show why this team is different. 

Chile, Bolivia and Venezuela I don't see getting very far. Paraguay are also terrible but they at least have a good record in cup competitions so I reckon they'll do OK.

Of the CONCACAF sides, none of them will do well but I do believe Jamaica might make some noise. Their new convinced generation from England seems to be geling slowly, and while they are still inferior to most CONMEBOL sides, this might be the first tournament they prove they are up to snuff. They did well to beat Canada away from home who have also improved a lot in the last few years.

I don't know how you san say you expect Peru to get out the group when they haven't done the draw. I respect your football knowledge but I don't see how you can make that statement 

27 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I don't know how you san say you expect Peru to get out the group when they haven't done the draw. I respect your football knowledge but I don't see how you can make that statement 

Because we’ve made it through every group stage since 1997. We’ve had very tough groups in the past and still found a way. We’re usually a good cup team.

12 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Because we’ve made it through every group stage since 1997. We’ve had very tough groups in the past and still found a way. We’re usually a good cup team.

OK but you are bottom of the world cup qualifiers aren't you? I'm sorry mate that doesn't make any logical sense 

1 minute ago, Goku de la Boca said:

We were bottom last time the Copa America was around and we still reached the semi’s. Usually it doesn’t mean a thing for us.

Thats still not logical mate. The draw hasn't even been made. I don't know anymore who would say they are confident of getting out of a group when they are doing so badly when the draw hadn't even been made. Like I said I respect your football knowledge but that's such a strange comment to make 

31 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Thats still not logical mate. The draw hasn't even been made. I don't know anymore who would say they are confident of getting out of a group when they are doing so badly when the draw hadn't even been made. Like I said I respect your football knowledge but that's such a strange comment to make 

Historically we’ve always done better in the Copa America than in WCQ. I wouldn’t read our table position to be honest.

33 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

We'll be fine, I'm not even assuring anything but what is true is it would be a complete failure if we don't make it through the groups.

Is the draw seeded? If it is I can understand you saying that I suppose. We all have feelings we are going to win sometimes. I was sure we would beat man city in the semi final of the fa Cup a few years ago and we did 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

11 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Is the draw seeded? If it is I can understand you saying that I suppose. We all have feelings we are going to win sometimes. I was sure we would beat man city in the semi final of the fa Cup a few years ago and we did 

Yes

i refuse to accept we could go out in one of the possible groups.

https://x.com/fanaticospe/status/1727895961848959342?s=46

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Argentina vs Ecuador

Uruguay vs Brazil

Mexico vs Peru

Colombia vs USA

Argentina vs Uruguay

Mexico vs USA

Argentina vs USA

I've got a feeling that Uruguay are going to win it this time.

But it would be nice to see someone like Colombia or Perú pull it off.

7 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

So we actually got a harder than usual group this time, but I'm still confident. We are better than Canada and Chile aren't very good, although they are definitely a banana skin more than other teams we usually face.

a2f4a74ad5e0cb26a4e60c6243366995.png

Argentina always play Chile.

That's not an easy group for them though. Chile, Perú and even Canada can all make it difficult.

Brazil have it easy, other than Colombia.

Uruguay shouldn't have problems getting out of their group either.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

7 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I've got a feeling that Uruguay are going to win it this time.

But it would be nice to see someone like Colombia or Perú pull it off.

Argentina always play Chile.

That's not an easy group for them though. Chile, Perú and even Canada can all make it difficult.

Brazil have it easy, other than Colombia.

Uruguay shouldn't have problems getting out of their group either.

I don't think we can win it, we've declined massively. I think we'll finish between quarter finals and semis.

We should make it through our group because as I've said, Peru in the Copa America is a whole different story to qualifying and it's always been that way.

Agreed on Uruguay, they look top class.

Just now, Danny said:

I don’t really care about the US or Canada but the more opportunities there are for Mexico and Jamaica to play at this level the better

This is absolutely necessary for all CONCACAF nations. Mexico have had very good teams that would crash out of World Cups or Copa Americas because they reached a point where they would play a team that is much more prepared for playing at high intensity. Chile beating them 7-0 is a clear example of this, not even they expected it to be that easy. Argentina winning 4-0 away to the USA last time another. Argentina never win that easily anywhere in South America. It’s hard for them to improve at such a stagnant standard and it’s not the fault of neither Mexico or USA.

50 minutes ago, Cicero said:

CONCACAF is tedious. 

I'm with Brian this should be the format from now on. Mexico used to have to send their B team to the Copa America so that their main team could focus on the Gold Cup. 

Even the Asian Cup feels more authentic than the Gold Cup. Mexico shouldn't have to prioritize the Gold Cup just to flex. What I do hope is that they still rotate countries and not just play in the USA for the rest of time, but that feels likely as it's a guaranteed way to make money.