PL Team of the Season 2023/24

• Administrator

What's yours?

Raya

White - Saliba - Gabriel - Doughty

Rodri - Rice

Saka - Foden - Palmer

Haaland

Could arguably choose Watkins over Haaland for this one, and difficult to squeeze in two strikers with how good and dominant midfielders are in general, let alone the 5 chosen.

A non big-six version:

Martinez

Cash - Branthwaite - Schar - Doughty

Douglas Luiz

Neto - Bowen - Gordon

Watkins - Solanke

Hard to pick a RB & RW that's been very consistent. Perhaps Mitchell for RB and Sarabia for RW? These two strikers pick themselves given their goal returns. Gordon has been quality for Newcastle. Could arguably choose Pickford over Martinez too. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raya

White Gabriel Saliba Gvardiol

Rice Rodri

Saka Palmer Foden

Haaland

Bench:

Pickford

Pedro Porro

Schar

Mitchell

Dougie Luiz

Odegaard

Salah

Watkins

Solanke

I couldn't do a non greedy six as there was not one right back worthy.

GK:  Ederson is the likely best in position,  best distribution and a good GK all round,   Allison is likely the next best and I don't see that position changing much.  Vicario, Martinez and Pope all suffer from non-elite distribution. 

RB:  Trent has been productive all season,  Trippier would have likely been this choice but he has missed 8 weeks with injury having played through and injury in December,  both Trent and Trippier have elite production at RB,  Ben White for positional flexibility

LB:  I like Antonee Robinson here, been a consistent performer all season and Udogie has probably been Spurs best and consistent player and the versatility of Gvardiol is indispensable for flexibility.

CB:  In pairs Saliba and Gabriel are good calls,  I think Schar has had his best season,  I also like Branthwaite and can see why he is hyped up for  a big move in the summer.   People are knocking Van Dijk but he has been solid if not his usual elite self.   Van De Venn has had a solid first season in a system that doesn't really value defence that much. 

The 6's: Rodri speaks for himself,  Rice has been elite and made the big difference Arsenal needed and Bruno Guimaraes has had 2.5 seasons of elite performances.  Douglas Luiz and Mainoo would be my outsiders

The 8's: I like Connor Gallagher and Alexis Mac Allister here,  Eze, Joelinton, McGinn outsiders all in with mentions,  Eze only getting 2000 minutes may hurt him here. 

10's:  Palmer, Foden, Odegaard nobody else is close. 

RW: Salah,  liverpool without him are just not the same, 25/14 in a year where he is supposed to be washed up is still God tier,  Saka is probably the more fashionable name if Arsenal do go on to win it and Jarrod Bowen is my outsider,  I will give a shout out to Tavernier, Neto and Olise as outsiders

LW: Gordon,  he is only the third Newcastle player to hit double digits in goals and assists,  he has scored against all top 6 clubs this season and he leads the league in goals directly from a successful 1 on 1 dribble.  Massive break out season.   Doku, Garnacho, Kluivert and Son as outsiders

CF:  Haaland is probably the easiest option though I would have Watkins as the next best,  outsiders;  Isak, Solanke, Havertz, Ferguson and Matata and Timo Werner

Posted (edited)

I'd go with:

Martinez (I think his bad boy rep & Arsenal reject tag hinder him in these things)

TAA, Gabriel, Saliba, Gvardiol

MacAllister, Rice, Douglas Luiz

Foden, Haaland, Palmer

Left out: Salah, just because Foden feels to have significantly risen & Palmer dramatically emerged. White, Van Der Ven & Pau Torres could have been in my back 4. Gordon a 4th winger & perhaps oddly I'd opt with him for England over Palmer. But perhaps both over Grealish & Rashford. Rodri left out, similar to Salah, I just feel the other 3 deserve recognition for noticeable step ups. MacAllister had to play a different position at a new club. Rice carried on his form at Arsenal. Could have gone with McGinn, but he's spent time as a winger-10, with Douglas Luiz the actual midfield play maker & penalty taker.

Palmer the only non Top 4 inclusion.. 3 Man City, 3 Arsenal, 2 Liverpool, 2 Villa & 1 over performer of Chelsea.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Raya

Trent - Saliba - Gabriel - Ake

Palmer - Rodri- Odegaard - Foden

Watkins - Haaland

What has Rice done to you :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Martinez

White 

Saliba

Gabriel 

Robertson (best statistical season of his career)

Rodri

Rice

Foden 

Saka

Gordon

Watkins

Alternate XI

Pickford

Trent

Van De Venn

Van Dijk

Gvardiol

Bruno G

D luiz

Odegaard

Bowen

Eze

Haaland

Honorable mentions

Schar - Best season statistically

Branthwaite - proving the PSV loan helped him

Udogie and Porro - just cant defend

Antonee Robinson - solid season

ROss Barkley best revival season story.

Bruno Fernandez - man united struggle to stay up without him.

Ryan Christie - faded at the end but good season.

Mac Allister - nails all season 

Gallagher - consistent and dependable just to many better players.

Edited by OrangeKhrush

On 10/05/2024 at 08:05, OrangeKhrush said:

RB:  Trent has been productive all season,  Trippier would have likely been this choice but he has missed 8 weeks with injury having played through and injury in December,  both Trent and Trippier have elite production at RB,  Ben White for positional flexibility

Ben White only right answer for RB. Even Malo Gusto had more assists than TAA this season. 

Martinez

White Saliba Gabriel Robinson

Rodri Rice

Palmer Foden Isak

Haaland