talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Holstein Kiel & St. Pauli promoted to the Bundesliga - Düsseldorf reach promotion playoffs

• The title was changed to Holstein Kiel & St. Pauli promoted to the Bundesliga - Düsseldorf reach promotion playoffs
8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Guess they were talking St Pauli beer from Bremen.😆

I didn't even know about it's existence. xD

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I didn't even know about it's existence. xD

They don't sell it in Germany. It's only brewed for export. Since there's a woman wearing a dirndl on the label to countries outside of that bordering Germany preferably, I presume.😆

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Guess they were talking St Pauli beer from Bremen.😆

St. Pauli Girl, is the one I am familiar with.  Didn't know they only made it for export.

• Administrator

Congrats to all. Good luck @Tommy in the play-offs. Anyone in particular you'd rather play against?

Good to see there's something still riding on the final day of the season.

Wehen vs St Pauli where both teams need to win to confirm their positions.

39 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good luck @Tommy in the play-offs. Anyone in particular you'd rather play against?

Thanks! Hmm, not really. I somehow would like to avoid Union. But Mainz and Bochum would be dangerous too. Maybe I'd pick Bochum out of those three. 

• 3 weeks later...

St. Pauli and Holstein Kiel were impressive last season on their way to promotion. But it was extremely tough luck that Dusseldorf didn't quite make it, as they lost in the play-offs to VFL Bochum in dramatic fashion. However, the 2 northern clubs should be a tough match for most teams in the Bundesliga next season, as St. Pauli and Holstein Kiel seem very well organised and have some very competent players.

Nevertheless, I think we should all spare a thought for another northern club and that is Hamburger SV. Ever since they got relegated from the Bundesliga in the 2017/18 season and into the 2 Bundesliga, they have come so close to regaining promotion. 

Hamburg's record reads as follows since they got relegated in 2018:

2018/19 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2019/20 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2020/21 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2021/22 season, Hamburg finished 3rd in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2022/23 season, Hamburg finished 3rd in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2023/24 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

This season, once again, Hamburg came so close to getting that much coveted promotion to the Bundesliga, but they fell narrowly short of their target. It would have been good to see a club that is historically as big and as illustrious as Hamburg back in the Bundesliga. However, it was sadly not to be.

I also have a strong feeling that next season they probably won't do as well in the 2 Bundesliga, compared to how well they did over the past 6 seasons.

I don't think that Hamburg will be able to hold on to their star players. Glatzel, Hamburg's top striker, was the leading scorer in the Bundesliga and his overall scoring record for Hamburg since he joined them has been superb. But Heidenheim are strongly linked to Glatzel and it looks very likely that he will join them in the Bundesliga.

Moreover, Laszlo Benes, who despite missing 8 league matches through injury, was not only among the top scorers in the 2 Bundesliga, but the midfielder was the player with the 2nd most assists in the whole league. Benes was excellent for Hamburg this season and like Glatzel, it looks like Benes will be leaving Hamburg over the summer, with Hoffenheim the club that have been strongly linked to buying him.

There could be more players that leave Hamburg at the end of the season as well and I think it will be hard for Hamburg to replace star players like Glatzel and Benes. So there certainly looks like there will be challenging times ahead for Hamburg and we might not see them back in the Bundesliga for a fair few seasons yet. But they have been so unlucky over the past 6 seasons in the 2 Bundesliga, that's for certain.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Michael said:

St. Pauli and Holstein Kiel were impressive last season on their way to promotion. But it was extremely tough luck that Dusseldorf didn't quite make it, as they lost in the play-offs to VFL Bochum in dramatic fashion. However, the 2 northern clubs should be a tough match for most teams in the Bundesliga next season, as St. Pauli and Holstein Kiel seem very well organised and have some very competent players.

Nevertheless, I think we should all spare a thought for another northern club and that is Hamburger SV. Ever since they got relegated from the Bundesliga in the 2017/18 season and into the 2 Bundesliga, they have come so close to regaining promotion. 

Hamburg's record reads as follows since they got relegated in 2018:

2018/19 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2019/20 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2020/21 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2021/22 season, Hamburg finished 3rd in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2022/23 season, Hamburg finished 3rd in the 2 Bundesliga table.

2023/24 season, Hamburg finished 4th in the 2 Bundesliga table.

This season, once again, Hamburg came so close to getting that much coveted promotion to the Bundesliga, but they fell narrowly short of their target. It would have been good to see a club that is historically as big and as illustrious as Hamburg back in the Bundesliga. However, it was sadly not to be.

I also have a strong feeling that next season they probably won't do as well in the 2 Bundesliga, compared to how well they did over the past 6 seasons.

I don't think that Hamburg will be able to hold on to their star players. Glatzel, Hamburg's top striker, was the leading scorer in the Bundesliga and his overall scoring record for Hamburg since he joined them has been superb. But Heidenheim are strongly linked to Glatzel and it looks very likely that he will join them in the Bundesliga.

Moreover, Laszlo Benes, who despite missing 8 league matches through injury, was not only among the top scorers in the 2 Bundesliga, but the midfielder was the player with the 2nd most assists in the whole league. Benes was excellent for Hamburg this season and like Glatzel, it looks like Benes will be leaving Hamburg over the summer, with Hoffenheim the club that have been strongly linked to buying him.

There could be more players that leave Hamburg at the end of the season as well and I think it will be hard for Hamburg to replace star players like Glatzel and Benes. So there certainly looks like there will be challenging times ahead for Hamburg and we might not see them back in the Bundesliga for a fair few seasons yet. But they have been so unlucky over the past 6 seasons in the 2 Bundesliga, that's for certain.

Disgree with the bolded parts. HSV always set expressly the goal of being promoted. They never succeeded, that's not doing well, that's failing. Since I'm expecting them to fail again also disagree with the second part- they're going to do exactly as "well" as in the previous seasons.

47 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Disgree with the bolded parts. HSV always set expressly the goal of being promoted. They never succeeded, that's not doing well, that's failing. Since I'm expecting them to fail again also disagree with the second part- they're going to do exactly as "well" as in the previous seasons.

The point I was making, is that in the upcoming seasons, I think they will probably do worse than they have done over the last 6 seasons. Yeah, I know Hamburg's aim was promotion and they came so close to achieving that on so many occasions. So when I used the words "do as well", I am talking relative to how I think they will do in the future. 

Hamburg have done relatively well over the last 6 years to consistently finish in the top 4. It's been either 3rd place or 4th place during those years and no lower. Not many relegated clubs from the Bundesliga, manage to finish so high in the 2 Bundesliga table as consistently as that and over that many seasons.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

The point I was making, is that in the upcoming seasons, I think they will probably do worse than they have done over the last 6 seasons. Yeah, I know Hamburg's aim was promotion and they came so close to achieving that on so many occasions. So when I used the words "do as well", I am talking relative to how I think they will do in the future. 

Hamburg have done relatively well over the last 6 years to consistently finish in the top 4. It's been either 3rd place or 4th place during those years and no lower. Not many relegated clubs from the Bundesliga, manage to finish so high in the 2 Bundesliga table as consistently as that and over that many seasons.

That's because most of them get promoted before being in the 2.Liga for so long, if we're honest. Let's not pretend HSV wouldn't be the club that's been for the longest time continously, now.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

That's because most of them get promoted before being in the 2.Liga for so long, if we're honest. Let's not pretend HSV wouldn't be the club that's been for the longest time continously, now.

How many relegated clubs from the Bundesliga have we seen fall by the wayside and end up in very low positions in the 2 Bundesliga? There are many examples of this, come on now.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Michael said:

How many relegated clubs from the Bundesliga have we seen fall by the wayside and end up in very low positions in the 2 Bundesliga? There are many examples of this, come on now.

These are teams relegated from Buli in the past 10 years.

Season 14-15 Freiburg: repromoted in the season 15-16 (after 1 year); and Paderborn: repromoted in seaon 18-19 ( after4 years)

Season 15-16 Stuttgart: repromted inthe season  16-17 (after 1 year); and Hannover: repromoted in season 16-17 (after 1 year)

Season 16-17 Ingolstadt: never repromoted, now 3rd tier (7 years since relegartion); and Darmstadt repromoted in season 22-23 (after 6 years)

Season 17-18 Hamburg: never repromoted, now 2nd tier (since 6 years); and Köln repromoted in season 18-19 (after 1 year)

Season 18-19 Stuttgart via play-offs: repromoted in season19-20 ( after 1 year),; Hannover never repromoted, now 2nd tier (since 5 years); and Nürnberg: never repromoted, now 2nd tier ( since 5 years)

Season 19-20 Düsseldorf:never repromoted, now 2nd tier ( since 4 years); and Paderborn: never repromoted, now 2nd tier (since 4 years)

Season 20-21 Bremen: repromoted in season 21-22 (after 1 year); and Schalke: repromoted in season 21-22 (after 1 year)

Season 21-22 Bielefeld: never repromoted, now 3rd tier (2 years since relegation); and Fürth: never repromoted, now 2nd tier (since 2 years)

Season 22-23 Schalke: never repromoted, now 2nd tier (since 1 year); and Hertha BSC: never repromoted, now 2nd tier (since 1 year)

Have a view at that stats, and answer honestly this question: Does this reality look like HSV were doing well for a team relegated from Buli?