talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Georgia 2-0 Portugal - Wednesday 26th June, 2024

8 minutes ago, 6666 said:

24 teams is a weird number of teams which is why they have an extremely convoluted system in place to make it make sense for the knockout stage. If they cared about the integrity of the competition, they wouldn't have done it this way.

If the quality for 32 teams isn't there, then they should go back to 16. 24 teams just makes the group stages too weird.

48 minutes ago, Devil said:

The whole set up of the qualification from these groups needs reviewing. Last Euros it felt harder to go out than qualify for the next round and its the same again this time round.

Teams have qualified from winning the first match, it's a bloody shambles. 

Yes, was a greedy decision to have 24 teams. Many years ago the Euro's going from 8 to 16 & World Cup from 24 to 32 was good.

I don't see them changing back though. More likely is next seasons Champions League format could catch on. Play teams from each pot. But 1 league table.

• Subscriber

I agree the 24 team format is awkward but the horse has bolted now, they won't reduce it back.

Thoroughly deserved win for Georgia, excellent stuff. They'd beat England without any problems.

52 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Why were the ITV commentators making out that was a debatable penalty? He literally clearly kicks him xD.

Some scoreline this.

I was just watching the analysis with that women who explains the decisions.  I thought she made them look pretty dumb really. She explained very clearly why it was a penalty. Yes there wasn't much contact but it was a penalty according to the rules of the game. It would be good to have someone like her on tv I think she's very good

26 minutes ago, Stan said:

Georgia have been superb. 

I got a bit emotional at the end seeing them with their fans.  I know not everyone likes the expansion and I get that. But for me I love moments like this that we wouldn't get without it.