talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gareth Southgate Leaving England

On 18/07/2024 at 04:50, Dan said:

I'm not somebody who thinks it has to be somebody English at all costs but I do think if it's a foreign manager it needs to be one fairly well connected to the country, has managed here a while etc... this would qualify Klopp, Mourinho but probably discount say Allegri.

If it was up to me I'd have it so that the manager has to have the same eligibility as the players. I've never understood why that isn't the rule.

Isn't mourinho to defensive though? If we want a manager to utilise our attack better is he really the right choice? I do agree with you though. When we had foreign managers before they had never managed in England before and we perhaps a bit past it.

Carsley actually did play for Ireland as I'm sure you know but that only because he had an Irish nan and I'm assuming he wasn't good enough for England. That's not a problem for me, I mean I would be eligible to play for Wales and if I was a footballer but not good enough for England but good enough for Wales I would play for Wales 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

On 18/07/2024 at 01:57, Gunnersaurus said:

Apparently the fa would be willing to wait a year to get pep and would put a interim manager in. Fuck you @Dr. Gonzo. I was right xD

Pep earns 20million a season at City, the England job is 5million. they can keep dreaming :4_joy:

1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Happy Blue Yeah but he may want a new challenge. And when you get chucked out the league for being cheaters the city job won't be so attractive 

His next job will be NYC in the MLS in 5 years or so after City and we wont be found guilty of cheating because what the FA has done is illegal under UK law which means we haven't cheated ;) 

29 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

His next job will be NYC in the MLS in 5 years or so after City and we wont be found guilty of cheating because what the FA has done is illegal under UK law which means we haven't cheated ;) 

You ain't naive you know you've cheated. But then so have most clubs just because you can't prove it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Anyway it's the wrong thread for this.

24 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

You ain't naive you know you've cheated. But then so have most clubs just because you can't prove it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Anyway it's the wrong thread for this.

You can't cheat rules if they are illegal in the first place but yes, wrong thread, viva big Sam 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Isn't mourinho to defensive though? If we want a manager to utilise our attack better is he really the right choice? I do agree with you though. When we had foreign managers before they had never managed in England before and we perhaps a bit past it.

Carsley actually did play for Ireland as I'm sure you know but that only because he had an Irish nan and I'm assuming he wasn't good enough for England. That's not a problem for me, I mean I would be eligible to play for Wales and if I was a footballer but not good enough for England but good enough for Wales I would play for Wales 

Carsley does seem to have a bit more about his game than Southgate does, but I do fear a bit with England that they're not going to respond to another 'pull' type of manager. I was reading about this once that there are two types of manager, a pull manager and a push manager. The simplest way to put it was the 'pull' manager is very much about bringing everybody together and trying to play above the sum of your parts, a 'push' manager was more about challenging your players and placing expectation on them to deliver.

A pull manager would be more suited to a smaller team trying to punch above its weight, a push manager would be more suited to a bigger team expected to win trophies.

I think Southgate was very much a pull manager, which was what England did suit back in 2016, but have since become a team who requires the latter. I can see the logic in Carsley but I do think we've hit a point now where we need a manager who will demand trophies of himself and his players. Mourinho for all his style of football criticism I think has become suited to knockout football and it's no coincidence he's won Roma a European trophy, made the final of another (only to hit the most unstoppable of forces - Sevilla in the Europa League) yet probably underperformed in the league.

The more I think about who England should appoint the more I think Thomas Tuchel makes sense. I think there is scope for things to go wrong under Tuchel, but he does have a trick up his sleeve in cup competitions.