talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Javi Gracia Hired as New Watford Manager

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Stan said:

I was half being serious to be honest. Why wait this long to sack him if that was the intention anyway?

I know they're playing shit and maybe he's lost the dressing room as a result of wanting to go so soon after becoming Watford boss, but the question still stands.

Most clubs won't keep a player who doesn't want to be there at all. Why not the same for a manager?

Probably to make a point to clubs in future, set a precedent of losing your coach now and it'll happen again, so decided to keep him. Watford obviously have bigger ambitions than just being midtable fodder.

8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why you so keen on defending Watford, do you see Brentford in them?

I think they operate similar to us yes, we don't have the manager merry go round that they have and I think we'll have our current manager for a couple of years yet but I think that they have a structure that is so alien to English football fans that anything they do by it will be seen as bad.

But I think they've made the right decision in a. fending a bigger spending club off of their manager mid season and b. getting rid of him when that approach has clearly effected their results.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

People lauding Watford owners approach to running a football club is frightening and shows how modern football is.

Fans are now onboard with sackings every few months and living almost on a week-to-week basis rather than thinking longer term. 

I think the Pozos are dodgy as anything and can't stand them but it's not necessarily true that just because you change manager frequently, you're not running the club in a long-term way. 

If the recruitment process and a lot of the backroom staff stay the same, then it's possible to find managers willing to work within your structure and move them on frequently, without the club's direction really changing. 

Short-termism is really when you give managers loads of control without long-term security, and you end up with playing style and recruitment changing wildly every couple of years. Despite all the managers they've went through, Watford still play and recruit in pretty much the same way as they did when they first came up. 

It might be a shit, wasteful and corrupt way, but they keep at it, whoever the manager is xD

This is the third season Watford have started well and then tailed off. Perhaps it's time for them to 'tweak' this model they have.

Personally, I feel they have created this situation themselves. The very best coaches, the ones who will take the club to the next level, won't seriously consider Watford because they think they will not get the time. This is fact.

So you will get managers that will see Watford as a stepping stone for better and will try to jump at the very first opportunity, much like Silva, who essentially signed his own P45.

Those who choose to do it properly can ensure all parties win and can propel the club forward - Southampton being a prime example of where it can work.

But this approach is a roulette wheel; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Having greater stability with managerial choices should mean it will work. The Pozzos track record suggests that it doesn’t. They have created a rod for their own back and this will continue season after season until they get the right person in.

• The title was changed to Javi Garcia Hired as New Watford Manager

Archived