talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

9 hours ago, Toinho said:

Ive looked into actually getting onto Antarctica. Absolute mind boggling prices from Australia. Cheaper for me to fly to Argentina and go from there. I want to do it but need to find someone willing to also spend like $9k. I have s friend who did it basically for free as part of an environmental project thing. 

I'm not gonna be able to go until at least November of 2020. Since I live with my parents, saving up is easier due to minimum wage and could probably do it by the north hemisphere summer to be honest, but its winter in Antarctica by then and it will be impossible.

But I want to do the Shackleton tour instead of Antarctica classic. AKA, stop at the Falklands and South Georgia on the way there.

48 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I'm not gonna be able to go until at least November of 2020. Since I live with my parents, saving up is easier due to minimum wage and could probably do it by the north hemisphere summer to be honest, but its winter in Antarctica by then and it will be impossible.

But I want to do the Shackleton tour instead of Antarctica classic. AKA, stop at the Falklands and South Georgia on the way there.

Looks to be like $10,000 or more for what I’m looking at. Australian dollars though. 

Just now, Toinho said:

Looks to be like $10,000 or more for what I’m looking at. Australian dollars though. 

That sounds about right, I have a year to save up and at worst I might have to do it early 2021 if I don't get there on time.

Hoping it pans out alright.

I actually have one more trip I can do before Antarctica. Can't be that far but I'm debating between Hawaii, Iceland or Morocco in the winter. Morocco is unlikely, but I have it as my third option. Thinking of going in January.

@nudge thinking of taking a helicopter to Niihau if I do Hawaii, have you heard? I'm reading up on it. It's intruiging!

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I actually have one more trip I can do before Antarctica. Can't be that far but I'm debating between Hawaii, Iceland or Morocco in the winter. Morocco is unlikely, but I have it as my third option. Thinking of going in January.

@nudge thinking of taking a helicopter to Niihau if I do Hawaii, have you heard? I'm reading up on it. It's intruiging!

Never heard of it I'm afraid...

Just now, nudge said:

Never heard of it I'm afraid...

It's owned by the Robinson family and limits access to all visitors but allows helicopter tours to go on the beach alongside Monk seals. It's basically an island with only native Hawaiians, not hard to see why it's a limited access. Just the novelty of being there though sounds awesome and I *think* it's not that expensive if you go in a group.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

It's owned by the Robinson family and limits access to all visitors but allows helicopter tours to go on the beach alongside Monk seals. It's basically an island with only native Hawaiians, not hard to see why it's a limited access. Just the novelty of being there though sounds awesome and I *think* it's not that expensive if you go in a group.

I can understand the novelty factor but for me it definitely wouldn't be worth it; even if it's not that expensive. I don't really do snorkeling or scuba diving, so being brought by a helicopter to a beach and being told that I can't go anywhere else or interact with the locals doesn't sound like my kind of trip haha.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I can understand the novelty factor but for me it definitely wouldn't be worth it; even if it's not that expensive. I don't really do snorkeling or scuba diving, so being brought by a helicopter to a beach and being told that I can't go anywhere else or interact with the locals doesn't sound like my kind of trip haha.

I can definitely see that mentality, but I'd go myself. However, Molokai is another place that has traditional Hawaiian culture, so I'll probably only be able to do one. Choose the novelty island or a place where I can actually interact.

I'll probably only be able to do 2 islands at the very most to be honest, I'll have to pick my battles in this instance.

11 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

I can definitely see that mentality, but I'd go myself. However, Molokai is another place that has traditional Hawaiian culture, so I'll probably only be able to do one. Choose the novelty island or a place where I can actually interact.

I'll probably only be able to do 2 islands at the very most to be honest, I'll have to pick my battles in this instance.

I’ve only been to Oahu but Hawaii is wicked. Not a huge snorkel man but best experience I had was doing that and seeing many dolphins(I mean I’ve seen and swam near some many times before) and a sea turtle. I think just the Hawaii factor made it better and it was a free trip for me haha. I wanna go back!

8 hours ago, Toinho said:

I’ve only been to Oahu but Hawaii is wicked. Not a huge snorkel man but best experience I had was doing that and seeing many dolphins(I mean I’ve seen and swam near some many times before) and a sea turtle. I think just the Hawaii factor made it better and it was a free trip for me haha. I wanna go back!

Actually kinda close to you as well - whether it's Australia or Japan!

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Got invited to Canada next summer as my ex-neighbours (a lovely couple) just moved back there... Pretty tempted to be honest. 

Number one on my list! I wanna go in the winter to snowboard, looking for someone to go with one day as the missus reckons way too cold for her aha 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Number one on my list! I wanna go in the winter to snowboard, looking for someone to go with one day as the missus reckons way too cold for her aha 

I never really considered Canada before but they are very nice people and it would be a good opportunity to meet again and to see something new as well. I'm with your missus though; there's no way I'm going there in winter either xD I've had enough of -20 to -30ºC winters in my life to know that I don't enjoy it one bit haha. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I never really considered Canada before but they are very nice people and it would be a good opportunity to meet again and to see something new as well. I'm with your missus though; there's no way I'm going there in winter either xD I've had enough of -20 to -30ºC winters in my life to know that I don't enjoy it one bit haha. 

Haha, it would purely be for snowboarding sake although to be fair end of winter/spring would be best as I’m too scared of temperatures as cold as you mentioned! I’ve done 5 days of about -6 in a row. That is enough for me. How people live full time in these conditions is beyond me haha 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Haha, it would purely be for snowboarding sake although to be fair end of winter/spring would be best as I’m too scared of temperatures as cold as you mentioned! I’ve done 5 days of about -6 in a row. That is enough for me. How people live full time in these conditions is beyond me haha 

You just adapt to it... Just like you adapt to the heat of +40. No difference really; just another extreme to become acclimatised to. Though I certainly prefer the latter xD 

8 hours ago, nudge said:

You just adapt to it... Just like you adapt to the heat of +40. No difference really; just another extreme to become acclimatised to. Though I certainly prefer the latter xD 

I know way too many of you "high heat endurance" lot. I'm the opposite, I'm a wuss in the heat but am pretty resilient in the cold.  Why do you think I do so many polar(arctic and antarctic) trips :D 

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Toinho said:

For me,  as of -20 its seriously cold. Anything above that and I just go out in my sweater. 

It's tough to go out in these conditions but equip yourself well and you'll be fine unless it's -40 or something. I've lived through two or three times when it was -40 here and it's impossible to go out, but at least in Toronto it's pretty rare it gets that cold. 

10 hours ago, nudge said:

I suppose so, housing and buildings would be suited to the cold weather too. 

Only 38 tomorrow. Uh.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

I know way too many of you "high heat endurance" lot. I'm the opposite, I'm a wuss in the heat but am pretty resilient in the cold.  Why do you think I do so many polar(arctic and antarctic) trips :D 

For me it depends. If you have to do intense physical activity outside then -20 is certainly preferable to +35. But if it's overall living in a certain climate then I personally prefer the heat. Having fewer clothes on, taking a cool shower a few times a day, drinking a lot of water and having a fan on 24/7 when indoors is by far easier and more enjoyable to me than having to wear a few layers of clothes, feeling the chill get into your bones and spending massive amount of money on heating costs. 

That said winter has its charm too. The crisp smell of fresh cool air. The snow. Christmas. Cuddling in bed xD