talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Germany 2-1 Saudi Arabia - Friday 8th June, 2018

football forum

Last match for the Saudi's before Russia. Will try to watch this game and figure out my native #Saudi team so that I properly support my heritage. 

Match will be played in Leverkusen

Saudi Arabia's World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Mohammed Al-Owais (Al Ahli), Yasser Al Mosailem (Al Ahli), Abdullah Al-Mayouf (Al Hilal)

Defenders: Mansoor Al-Harbi (Al Ahli), Yasser Al-Shahrani (Al Hilal) Mohammed Al-Breik (Al HIlal), Motaz Hawsawi (Al Ahli), Osama Hawsawi (Al Hilal)i, Omar Hawsawi (Al Nassr), Ali Al-Bulaihi (Al Hilal)

Midfielders: Abdullah Al-Khaibari (Al Shabab), Abdulmalek Al-Khaibri (Al Hilal), Abdullah Otayf (Al Hilal), Taiseer Al-Jassim (Al Ahli), Houssain Al-Mogahwi (Al Ahli), Salman Al-Faraj, Mohamed Kanno (both Al Hilal), Hattan Bahebri (Al Shabab), Salem Al-Dawsari (Al Hilal), Yahya Al-Shehri (Al Nassr, Spain)

Forwards: Fahad Al-Muwallad (Al Ittihad), Mohammad Al-Sahlawi (Al Nassr), Muhannad Assiri (Al Ahli)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Friday 8th June - Germany vs Saudi Arabia
13 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

One of Saudis player just said this in an interview.

" our coaches come and go, we just need to be prepared all the time" !! xD

Problem is that people don't recognize them and didn't follow their qualifying campaign, so they assume they are the worst side in the competition when its not like that at all. Look at us, we are easily a better side than Denmark but because they are European, everyone will pick them instead. Same with Bosnia in 2014 over Nigeria, Serbia this time over Costa Rica, and Greece in 2014 over Colombia. Its shocking Euro centrism as any South American side and Mexico are better than anything below England in Europe.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Problem is that people don't recognize them and didn't follow their qualifying campaign, so they assume they are the worst side in the competition when its not like that at all. Look at us, we are easily a better side than Denmark but because they are European, everyone will pick them instead. Same with Bosnia in 2014 over Nigeria, Serbia this time over Costa Rica, and Greece in 2014 over Colombia. Its shocking Euro centrism as any South American side and Mexico are better than anything below England in Europe.

I agree. People thinking Australia are better than Saudis just because its a first world country, they are on the same level. Anyone who watched the Aussies home game against them knows the goals they scored involved some real football unlike Australia who got lucky with a deflected goal.

Just now, Stan said:

@Blue have you watched a lot of Saudi Arabia? Where do you rank them in the tournament out of the 32?

I haven't watched a ton, I wouldn't say they are one of the better sides, but they are definitely not the worst, or second worst.

We played Saudi Arabia this past weekend, they were shite but I think part of it was down to our superb work rate. I've also seen them in competitive games, I think twice and they can play good attacking football at times. They are also in an easier group and won't look the worst when they play.

I would say they are about the same with Russia. The Russians are better on paper, but on the pitch they are shaping up to be worse hosts than South Africa. So 28th, 27th around there. They also have a style that Uruguay won't like to come up against. They will probably lose that, but Uruguay don't like fast paced sides. 

So, I'm definitely not an expert but they are far above the likes of Panama and Tunisia.

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

I agree. People thinking Australia are better than Saudis just because its a first world country, they are on the same level. Anyone who watched the Aussies home game against them knows the goals they scored involved some real football unlike Australia who got lucky with a deflected goal.

Saudi Arabia are first world too mate, but Australia are more recognized in football and benefit from being commonwealth as well as having a team affiliated with the City group in their league. The problem I have with European teams is that they are overrated. There are 5 good sides, 3 or 4 decent sides and the rest are wank. The thing is, Europeans and North Americans tend to follow the football there the most, so they recognize them but I can guarantee you every South American side (except Bolivia) as well as Mexico can beat anyone below the level of England. I would back Venezuela and Paraguay over Croatia and Serbia for example.

Europe is the best continent because their 5 good teams, are probably the best teams in the world. They often start off slow though because there is no competition in Europe, where as there is in South America. That's why we always see a strong start from South Americans in the World Cup, and a strong finish from Europe. They play real opposition and gain momentum. 

For me, the weakest continent after Oceania is CONCACAF. Mexico and Costa Rica are good, the USA will be good in time once again, the rest are wank.

Archived