talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa América 2019 - Brazil

football forum

I get inviting Central and North America (or just the rest of the Americas to the locals 😂)...Mexico and USA will add to it and it gives the likes of Canada or Jamaica a chance to improve.

Dont get inviting countries from other continents though

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of the few people who didn't mind the European expansion. I don't think the poor quality games were due to bad teams but more the fact that third placed teams could go through. I liked having little nations there. They're fans were brilliant. Of course a country like Iceland was never gonna beat anyone :ph34r:

Don't know what it will do to the copa America though

On 21/03/2018 at 17:26, The Rebel CRS said:

Expanding South and North America to create a larger tournament would make sense. Inviting Qatar and China doesn't.

If you must invite non-American nations then atleast invite Spain, Italy and Portugal, for obvious reasons, instead. The problem there though, is that these would actually have a chance of winning it and this isn't what the "higher ups" want. The nations they invite are simply to make up the numbers.

I was just thinking that. A combined north and south American competition would make  more sense I think

On 21/03/2018 at 12:34, Berserker said:

Including teams from Asia is ridiculous, it's worse than Israel playing the Euros. They should just unify both the Conmebol and Concacaf, problem is the distances, they are much larger than in Europe (they already are at the Conmebol qualifiers mostly too).

I think Israel play in Europe for political reasons

I may be the only one here, but actually I´m not against this move. Hopefully they´ll invite South Korea/Australia, Japan and China. Those are interesting markets. Brazil is in bad economic shape and since we´ll be hosting it, anything that can compensate the costs and bring more money is welcome. Proud be damned, we´re still paying for the 2014-2016 folly.

On 21/03/2018 at 12:26, ScoRoss said:

Seem to also be rumours of after the 2019 version, they will expand to a twenty team tournament with teams from Concacaf making up the other ten.

Having a tournament with sixteen teams, like the centenary tournament, is the best way to have a tournament. None of this 'best third place team's nonsense that happens at the Euros.

Why don't they just have the ten South American teams and the six Concacaf teams that made it through to the last round of World Cup qualifying. Seems a simple solution to me.

Yeah 16 or 32. I. Actually think the euros would be better with 32 than 24

The problem of course is that while being massive in terms of land mass, CONMEBOL only has 10 members which in my opinion does hurt it. Like most I do think the Copa America should be a dual association tournament between CONMEBOL & CONCACAF. It makes sense in terms of the name as well. CONCACAF can still have their Gold Cup as well as long as both tournaments aren't held in the same summer. Gold Cup in the summer after the World Cup, Copa America the year after that with the 6 top ranking CONCACAF sides involved (or have a two association qualifying process but I'm not keen on that).

Anyone know the historical reasons as to why Guyana, Suriname & French Guiana are a part of CONCACAF instead of CONMEBOL despite being south american nations?

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The problem of course is that while being massive in terms of land mass, CONMEBOL only has 10 members which in my opinion does hurt it. Like most I do think the Copa America should be a dual association tournament between CONMEBOL & CONCACAF. It makes sense in terms of the name as well. CONCACAF can still have their Gold Cup as well as long as both tournaments aren't held in the same summer. Gold Cup in the summer after the World Cup, Copa America the year after that with the 6 top ranking CONCACAF sides involved (or have a two association qualifying process but I'm not keen on that).

Anyone know the historical reasons as to why Guyana, Suriname & French Guiana are a part of CONCACAF instead of CONMEBOL despite being south american nations?

Because they aren't a part of South America. I know it looks it but, they aren't.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Because they aren't a part of South America. I know it looks it but, they aren't.

Geographically they are South American but I guess because they identify as Caribbean, FIFA has decided to respect trans rights and let them compete with other Carribian nations.

10 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Geographically they are South American but I guess because they identify as Caribbean, FIFA has decided to respect trans rights and let them compete with other Carribian nations.

They don't exist to us. No government relations and they became independent far later. Me nor many other South Americans count them.

Suriname, French Guiana and Guyana are officially South American countries and exist in South Americas statistics from wealth to language spoken.  The history behind why they've never been taken in by the CONMEBOL is unclear from looking into it and quite interesting Infact.

35 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Suriname, French Guiana and Guyana are officially South American countries and exist in South Americas statistics from wealth to language spoken.  The history behind why they've never been taken in by the CONMEBOL is unclear from looking into it and quite interesting Infact.

Wouldn't they loose every game about 20.0 xD

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Wouldn't they loose every game about 20.0 xD

Without a doubt they'd probably lose heavily against most South American sides, but the problem with confederations that contain extremely weak members is that the standard never raises due to that which is a catch 22 situation really.

You need competition and obviously interest to raise your standards. I'm not sure how big those nations are in football interest to be honest.

And the proof in the pudding that the Copa América expansion with those sides is all down to money and nothing whatsoever to do with football or geography. We have here clearly in the fact that sides like those and Caribbean sides should've been invited instead as they have 100 times more in common with Latin America (Infact most are Latin American by culture) than those invited.

54 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Without a doubt they'd probably lose heavily against most South American sides, but the problem with confederations that contain extremely weak members is that the standard never raises due to that which is a catch 22 situation really.

You need competition and obviously interest to raise your standards. I'm not sure how big those nations are in football interest to be honest.

I think it would be a bit unfair and a bit embarrassing for the nations who loose heavily. I remember when Tahiti lost 10.0 to Spain in the Confederations cup and some people kicked of. That being said they're are teams like Jamaica who would do better. Are Panama and Honduras part of south America?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 05:47, Gunnersauraus said:

I think it would be a bit unfair and a bit embarrassing for the nations who loose heavily. I remember when Tahiti lost 10.0 to Spain in the Confederations cup and some people kicked of. That being said they're are teams like Jamaica who would do better. Are Panama and Honduras part of south America?

No disrespect to you mate as I quite like you, but it drives me up the wall when people call Panama a part of South America. They are very clearly on the other side.

On 05/04/2018 at 14:29, Blue said:

No disrespect to you mate as I quite like you, but it drives me up the wall when people call Panama a part of South America. They are very clearly on the other side.

I actually asked not said they were. I actually thought that officially they are part of north America?

• 4 weeks later...

The Copa America will have only 12 teams with Japan and Qatar being the invitees. No 16 team tournament like they hoped, only downside is Mexico won't be able to participate and while I hate them, they have a place in CONMEBOL in my opinion.

• The title was changed to Copa America To Remain as 12-Team Tournament
11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Qatar xD

Hey, they are more South American than Japan. They even get a chance at playing at home? 11 Brazilians playing for a team not called Brazil ;) 

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Hey, they are more South American than Japan. They even get a chance at playing at home? 11 Brazilians playing for a team not called Brazil ;) 

Brazilians playing for Qatar aren't Brazilian mate. They may think they are, but a nationality is nothing more than just a geographical political belonging.  They are Qataris and everything that Qatar stands for especially in modern day football is shameful from the CONMEBOL.  With that, Latin Americans can no longer whisper that European football sold its soul.  Money is great, it's greater when you can earn it in bundles by mere participation and even worse when you sell your nationality to something your culture has absolutely nothing to do with the one you've sold it to.

On 21/03/2018 at 23:31, SirBalon said:

Absolute joke and based on bringing in more money to the CONMEBOL.  There is absolutely no football argument for the nations invited.

Maybe we can create a Wikipedia page for a nation that doesn't actually exist... southlandia, a very small, little known nation that isn't part of any pre-existing football confederation. 

They are small,  but enormously wealthy due to their enormous underground diamond reserves and are known mainly for that and their love of football. 

Then start a fake news style Twitter rumor of their impending participation in Copa America and see what happens from there... they may end up with an invite. 

11 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

No copa libertadores

No copa america

I don't blame Conmebol, the Mexican federation is as greedy as he gets. Why would Conmebol put up with Mexico sending their bteam (u23) and the 5th -8th teams to Conmebol.

There was an easy solution..move the freaking Copa oro to every four years and both Mexico and the USA would gain more out of playing the Copa America.

They should absolutely do this. It's better for everybody.

Archived