Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Round of 16 - Tuesday 3rd July - Colombia 1-1(p) England

Winner plays Sweden or Switzerland

Kick-off 19.00

Venue - Otrkrytie Arena, Moscow

football forum
39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Can all the people who were spelling this as "Columbia" in the other thread sort themselves out for this game? Probably be a busy thread. Cheers.

More reason for me to bash on the USA. Just because of the town there, and also that movie company whatever they were called.

Its spelt "Colombia" and pronounced "Co-lom-bi-ya. Not "Co-lum-bi-ya"

1 minute ago, Blue said:

More reason for me to bash on the USA. Just because of the town there, and also that movie company whatever they were called.

Its spelt "Colombia" and pronounced "Co-lom-bi-ya. Not "Co-lum-bi-ya"

This isn't an American thing unless I'm grossly unaware. I have seen it spelled both ways, with the understanding that one is correct, while another isn't. Just not sure why you think it's an American thing though O.o

Also, it's probably more commonly used due to Columbia University, an Ivy League school up North. 

football forum
Just now, Eco said:

This isn't an American thing unless I'm grossly unaware. I have seen it spelled both ways, with the understanding that one is correct, while another isn't. Just not sure why you think it's an American thing though O.o

Also, it's probably more commonly used due to Columbia University, an Ivy League school up North. 

I was talking about the town called "Columbia" which is in the USA I believe. Not an American thing but since its the center of the media world, they get a lot of attention where as South America gets no attention.

Funnily enough, the country that has historically gotten most attention here is Colombia because of the whole terrorism-drug trafficking issues in the past, so there is really no reason to spell it wrong continouisly. I could imagine Canada also has something to do with it as they have a province called British Columbia.

Fact Checking the Senegal vs Colombia thread on those who spelled it incorrectly. 

Gunnersauraus (British) did on multiple occasions

The Palace Fan (British) did on the second page

And that was it. 

Zero Americans :ay:

• Haha 1

football forum
Just now, Eco said:

Fact Checking the Senegal vs Colombia thread on those who spelled it incorrectly. 

And that was it. 

You missed the point of that assumption mate, wasn't saying it was an American thing but rather because of the amount of things coming from there that are called "Columbia". It was all a piss take anyways, I'm just sure people are awful spellers xD

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I was talking about the town called "Columbia" which is in the USA I believe. Not an American thing but since its the center of the media world, they get a lot of attention where as South America gets no attention.

Funnily enough, the country that has historically gotten most attention here is Colombia because of the whole terrorism-drug trafficking issues in the past, so there is really no reason to spell it wrong continouisly. I could imagine Canada also has something to do with it as they have a province called British Columbia.

I'm assuming you mean Columbia, South Carolina, which isn't a major city by any means. 

Now there is a Columbia clothing brand, which is popular here, and according to Wikipedia, Columbia is the 'historical female personification of the US"

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

And that was it. 

You need to get laid mate

1 minute ago, Blue said:

You missed the point of that assumption mate, wasn't saying it was an American thing but rather because of the amount of things coming from there that are called "Columbia". It was all a piss take anyways, I'm just sure people are awful spellers xD

You just said it was more of a reason to 'bash on the States'. It's not our fault if no one can correctly spell a country in South America because of a small city in the south, a clothing band, and a top notch university. 

football forum
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm assuming you mean Columbia, South Carolina, which isn't a major city by any means. 

Now there is a Columbia clothing brand, which is popular here, and according to Wikipedia, Columbia is the 'historical female personification of the US"

Haha fair enough then, I was joking anyways, but its incredibly how easy it is to spell and pronounce yet people get it wrong all the time. Its like the whole Chile thing. Its "Cheel-eh" not "Chi-lee ffs

Already dreading the hangover Wednesday.

Same team as the Tunisia game if Ali is fit, please Gareth.

football forum

Anyways, if Colombia go through it will be the luckiest World Cup run in history. When their best offensive asset is a defender, it says a lot about the team.

Got lucky to qualify and was put in an easy group for them. Nothing on the Colombia team of 2014 which was exciting and won all their games with a good game plan and had authority over their opponents.

I still want them to win and I think if they click they will do so, but I can't see it happening. England 2-1 win.

Just now, Blue said:

Haha fair enough then, I was joking anyways, but its incredibly how easy it is to spell and pronounce yet people get it wrong all the time. Its like the whole Chile thing. Its "Cheel-eh" not "Chi-li ffs

I know, I'm honestly not jumping on you, just making sure you know that really isn't a thing here from what I know. 

Now the pronunciation is totally different. It's split here pretty evenly between Chil-ee and chil-eh, and CO-lombia vs cha-lumbia. I don't think many people are bothered by the latter, but the Chile one bugs the shit out of it. 

football forum

In Canada it was always "Chi-lee" and it really annoyed me. There is an "E" at the end of it in a Spanish speaking country, why do people pronounce it "Chi-lee"? ¬¬

Just now, Blue said:

Anyways, if Colombia go through it will be the luckiest World Cup run in history. When their best offensive asset is a defender, it says a lot about the team.

Got lucky to qualify and was put in an easy group for them. Nothing on the Colombia team of 2014 which was exciting and won all their games with a good game plan and had authority over their opponents.

I still want them to win and I think if they click they will do so, but I can't see it happening. England 2-1 win.

Ha ha changed your mind mate. You had Colombia to knock us out. By the way english dictionary doesn't recognise Colombia and trys to change it to Columbia 

football forum
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ha ha changed your mind mate. You had Colombia to knock us out. By the way english dictionary doesn't recognise Colombia and trys to change it to Columbia 

I was less impressed with when I saw England under Southgate but the difference was that I didn't see them on a consistent basis like I did with Colombia, so my opinion didn't have much value. I'm still not convinced they are the finished product but I've been more impressed with them than Colombia. The latter still have a better team on paper in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I was less impressed with when I saw England under Southgate but the difference was that I didn't see them on a consistent basis like I did with Colombia, so my opinion didn't have much value. I'm still not convinced they are the finished product but I've been more impressed with them than Colombia. The latter still have a better team on paper in my opinion.

I think.it.depemds which Colombia turn up. Hopefully we go through

Colombia's only had one convincing performance in the tournament so far, against Poland. I think if we play to our best, we're better than Poland, Japan, and Senegal. Play our strongest side and play to our strengths, and I think we can see this one through. But Colombia do have talent and if they play well we could very easily go out.

Any news on James' injury? I hope he's out, even though it's fucked to want someone to be injured.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Colombia's only had one convincing performance in the tournament so far, against Poland. I think if we play to our best, we're better than Poland, Japan, and Senegal. Play our strongest side and play to our strengths, and I think we can see this one through. But Colombia do have talent and if they play well we could very easily go out.

Any news on James' injury? I hope he's out, even though it's fucked to want someone to be injured.

Playing at out best is the hard part though. I think we perform better when we are not under pressure. Southgate wants to convince the players no one thinks we can win

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Playing at out best is the hard part though. I think we perform better when we are not under pressure. Southgate wants to convince the players no one thinks we can win

For like the 3rd or 4th time today, I'm in full agreement with you mate.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD xD

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

For like the 3rd or 4th time today, I'm in full agreement with you mate.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD xD

Great minds think alike. 

And so do we:D

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Great minds think alike. 

And so do we:D

Aw I'm gutted I used up all of my rep for today. Imagine you just received both the laughy face and an upvote :D 

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

Gave him one of mine just for you 

Boss mate :congrats:

39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No news on James. Pékerman said in the post-match press conference that he was very worried, but they still don´t know if he´ll be available. 

Colombia didn´t play well today against Senegal. They were very passive and unimaginative, a totally different exhibtion from Sunday´s, when they looked very strong against Poland. I guess it´s come down to James physical condition. When he´s at his best, he and Juanfer Quintero are capable dictating the rhythm of a match in the midfield. 

Without James, I imagine Pékerman could try a more conservative approach with Sánchez, Uribe, Aguilar, Quintero, Cuadrado in the midfield, and only Falcao upfront. After the 1st match, Mina replaced Murillo in central defence and since then Colombia hasn´t conceded a goal. So, it won´t be easy to score them. 

England is the favorite here, especially if James doesn´t play, but this is a dangerous team. England will have to watch out Juanfer Quintero, he will be the link in the midfield trying to make the most out of Cuadrado speed and skill, and Falcao´s striker instinct. And also take extra care with Yerri Mina in set pieces. The big man is a huge threat. He used to score tons of goals in brazilian football and he already scored 2 in this World Cup. 

For me I would definitely start Rose for this one, think he gave us a lot more down the left and a far more direct play.

Only real question for me is Alli or Loftus-Cheek. I think Ruben has more than earned his spot, maybe Alli for Sterling?

17 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

For me I would definitely start Rose for this one, think he gave us a lot more down the left and a far more direct play.

Only real question for me is Alli or Loftus-Cheek. I think Ruben has more than earned his spot, maybe Alli for Sterling?

I think Loftus-Cheek left a lot to be desired to today, had a chance to really break through but we didn't see many of his runs. I'd still go with Alli if he's fully fit.

Agree with Rose, looked much better than against Panama.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You need to get laid mate

I have a child - I need to be more careful. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have a child - I need to be more careful. 

Mate I'm a few beers in and everyone thinks England are gonna win the world cup. Cut me some slack :D