• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Sacred Games

Recommended Posts

 

Based on the acclaimed book by Vikram Chandra, Netflix's first original Hindi series Sacred Games tells the story of Sartaj Singh, a jaded cop living under the shadow of his deceased father and seeking validation from a police force he nevertheless loathes for its corruption. When Singh receives an anonymous tip-off regarding the whereabouts of Ganesh Galtonde, a notorious crime lord who has been missing for 16 years, and is told he has 25 days to save everyone in Mumbai from death, it sets the wheels in motion for a chain of events that burrows deep into India’s dark underworld.

 

I just watched the first episode, and I'm blown away! It's incredibly good and very captivating, I will be binging the rest of Season 1 in a while. Seriously, do yourself a favour and watch it, it has nothing to do with stereotypical Bollywood dance-and-sing movies, it's a gritty crime thriller/drama with a lot of nuances, great cast, and a captivating story.

@Mel81x @Stan @IgnisExcubitor @Asura have you seen this yet???

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched it when it came out and binge watched the whole 1st Season. I thought it was good. Definitely a good watch one time through.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't. Didn't even know about it but thank you! I will be giving it a watch while there's little football on xD.

Cheers.

(before anyone else mentions it, I do not star in it but I can't speak for the others :ph34r: )

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched 5 episodes so far and yeah its pretty good and gripping. This should get Nawazuddin, who is a fantastic actor from our country all the accolades worldwide that he deserves. 

Also, good to finally see some bobs and vagene on an Indian TV show.  :drunk:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on 2nd episode right now.

Enjoying it but difficult with the dodgy dubbing xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan said:

on 2nd episode right now.

Enjoying it but difficult with the dodgy dubbing xD 

I'm watching it in Hindi + English subtitles, it's much better!!! The English dubbing is awful xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm watching it in Hindi + English subtitles, it's much better!!! The English dubbing is awful xD 

yeah it's terrible xD.

Much better with Hindi. Didn't think of that xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it on the day it released. Starts on a high note, slows in the middle and finishes with a bang. The last three episodes are brilliant. 

It's better to watch it with the original audio of Hindi+Marathi+Punjabi with English subtitles instead of the dubbed version. 

This season only covers a quarter of the book, and the makers hope that they get to do three more seasons. It also gives a nice and quick peek into Indian (political) history. 

 

I was largely glad with the casting, especially Pankaj Tripathi (the third father, who will have a big role to play in the future seasons). But personally, I was happy for Jitendra Joshi who plays constable Katekar and steals the show. He is a fabulous Marathi actor and a lovely man (have met him once).

 

Lastly, had to post this meme images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAGoAjTaWpZNydMoqR4hM

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikram Shandra's books (at least the ones I've read) are all great. I'll have to check this out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2018 at 01:32, Dr. Gonzo said:

Vikram Shandra's books (at least the ones I've read) are all great. I'll have to check this out.

Hope you've read his Red earth and pouring rain. I think that's his best. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished this. Looking forward to the next instalments whenever that is due (hopefully not long!)

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2018 at 00:31, Stan said:

Just finished this. Looking forward to the next instalments whenever that is due (hopefully not long!)

  Hide contents

Enjoyed the Sin City/Kill Bill-esque scene where Gaitonde goes on his killing spree in prison where the screen goes blood red. Shame Anjali dies though :(

 

Looks like someone has a crush on Radhika Apte. Can't blame ya. Here's a short featuring her, in her most seductive form, fir you to enjoy. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, happy for this. They have also roped in Neeraj Ghaywan, who directed the wonderful movie Masaan to do one of the episodes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Netflix are evaluating their options and the series could get cancelled.

This comes off the back of the massive metoo movement currently unfolding in the country, which has already resulted in Phantom production house (the makers' production company) getting dissolved. Also, the lead writer, Varun Grover has now been accused of sexual harassment (dating back to his college days). 

Amazon India and other film festivals have already dumped or cancelled shows of its creators over allegations. Netflix could do the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 11:13, IgnisExcubitor said:

So, Netflix are evaluating their options and the series could get cancelled.

This comes off the back of the massive metoo movement currently unfolding in the country, which has already resulted in Phantom production house (the makers' production company) getting dissolved. Also, the lead writer, Varun Grover has now been accused of sexual harassment (dating back to his college days). 

Amazon India and other film festivals have already dumped or cancelled shows of its creators over allegations. Netflix could do the same. 

That's a shame but can't blame them for that decision if true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the charges against the writer seem fake (he has provided a thorough rebuttal, his classmates - especially all the girl students- from his college have backed his claims, he has constantly stated that he is open to inquiry/investigation/and even punishment if proven wrong, the female account continues to be anonymous) but there is currently this wave of believe all women, back survivors. I have even read some tweets and posts like 'so what is he is innocent, in the larger scheme of things it doesn't matter'. 

And the fact that many companies (film, pr, media, advertising, hotel industry, etc) are sacking their employees left, right and centre on mere allegations, I can see this ending badly despite Varun Grover seeming largely innocent. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Apparently the charges against the writer seem fake (he has provided a thorough rebuttal, his classmates - especially all the girl students- from his college have backed his claims, he has constantly stated that he is open to inquiry/investigation/and even punishment if proven wrong, the female account continues to be anonymous) but there is currently this wave of believe all women, back survivors. I have even read some tweets and posts like 'so what is he is innocent, in the larger scheme of things it doesn't matter'. 

And the fact that many companies (film, pr, media, advertising, hotel industry, etc) are sacking their employees left, right and centre on mere allegations, I can see this ending badly despite Varun Grover seeming largely innocent. 

 

Wtf that's so fucked up. So according to them, it doesn't matter if someone's life is destroyed due to false accusations?..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Netflix just confirmed that second season is on, after conducting internal probe. Good. Common sense prevails. You don't want someone's career derailed by anonymous posts, which look false. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loosely translates to : Mark your calender. Something big is going to happen in 14 days.

Most probably means trailer for season 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Loosely translates to : Mark your calender. Something big is going to happen in 14 days.

Most probably means trailer for season 2.

Can't wait. Season 1 was amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing much to add in the new teaser, except to show the new actors added. Both Kalki and Ranveer Shorey are fantastic actors. The last man you see, Pankaj Tripathi, is one of my absolute favourites. I was glad they revealed him in the first season as the main guru. 

The tag line means: Who is the real father of this game? 

But here father implies boss. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to it! Loved Season 1... Hope Nawazuddin Siddiqui is in the new season as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nudge said:

Really looking forward to it! Loved Season 1... Hope Nawazuddin Siddiqui is in the new season as well.

You have to watch 'Gangs of Wasseypur Part 1 and 2'. But don't watch it on Netflix, where they have broken the two movies into an eight part series. Apparently, it ruins the story. Watch them as two movies. 

This turned Nawaz from a bit part actor into a big star. Incidentally, it also launched Pankaj Tripathi, the man I was raving about in the previous post. It is written and directed by Anurag Kashyap, who directed Nawaz's entire storyline in Sacred Games. The two movies are  brilliant gangster flicks.

It's loosely based on the mafia and politicians of the minings states of Jharkhand and Bihar, and charts three generations. You will love them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

You have to watch 'Gangs of Wasseypur Part 1 and 2'. But don't watch it on Netflix, where they have broken the two movies into an eight part series. Apparently, it ruins the story. Watch them as two movies. 

This turned Nawaz from a bit part actor into a big star. Incidentally, it also launched Pankaj Tripathi, the man I was raving about in the previous post. It is written and directed by Anurag Kashyap, who directed Nawaz's entire storyline in Sacred Games. The two movies are  brilliant gangster flicks.

It's loosely based on the mafia and politicians of the minings states of Jharkhand and Bihar, and charts three generations. You will love them.

Working on finding a proper copy with subs now... Will try to watch it tonight! :twothumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 2 releases on 15th August. 

We finally have the trailer for the second season. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2019 at 09:38, IgnisExcubitor said:

You have to watch 'Gangs of Wasseypur Part 1 and 2'. But don't watch it on Netflix, where they have broken the two movies into an eight part series. Apparently, it ruins the story. Watch them as two movies. 

This turned Nawaz from a bit part actor into a big star. Incidentally, it also launched Pankaj Tripathi, the man I was raving about in the previous post. It is written and directed by Anurag Kashyap, who directed Nawaz's entire storyline in Sacred Games. The two movies are  brilliant gangster flicks.

It's loosely based on the mafia and politicians of the minings states of Jharkhand and Bihar, and charts three generations. You will love them.

A bit late but I finally found an uncensored two-part copy of this... Going to give it a watch over the weekend most likely! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching the new season. They had talked about finishing the book in four seasons, but I guess Netflix wasn't keen on that. So they did it in two. 

I don't wanna go into details, before others watch it. But, yes, it was understandably rushed. Still, it was done well. 

On a side note I hope Netflix solved their subtitles problems. The second episode's subs were fucked up (I needed them for the Punjabi parts). On a side note, why was 'Gandu' which means asshole translated as faggot on all the instances? 

Also, hated the idea of Ghaywan directing Sartaj's parts. At times it felt like a student director had shot those scenes. Guess Motwane preferred to control the whole thing as an executive producer instead. Shame really, cause last season you really felt Sartaj's stress, pain and anger because of Motwane's good direction. 

Not really impressed, or surprised, by Varun Grover's (lead writer) obsession in pushing certain political points (his views). He can't help it, despite himself being lynched by the SJW mob not so long ago. We here have seen how selective his comedy-group is. 

Anyways, overall it was a good series - probably one of the best to come out of this country. And it gave us memorable characters. Even this season the likes of Jojo, RAW agent Pandey(played by the talented Amruta Subhash), Shahid Khan (thought Ranvir Shorey did good with his small part) and Guruji will be remembered. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement